THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Looking for pictures of half-round barrels - round to octagon not octagon to round

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for pictures of half-round barrels - round to octagon not octagon to round
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted
I am looking for pictures of barrels that are round at the breach and then cut octagon in front of the forearms. In other words, they start off round and end up octagon at the muzzle. I know this is the opposite of what is normally done. I remember seeing a few rifles like this, though I don't remember where. I just haven't been able to find any pictures. Thanks.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Are you just trying to get ideas for a transition design or what??

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Got a re-barrel project in mind, going to smaller diameter cartridge. The forearm is round and I want to keep the original contour of the barrel through that. Beyond the forearm I want to have a thinner, lighter barrel so I need to shed barrel weight. I do not want flutes. Stepping the barrel looks odd. Another option is to to reduce the thickness of the barrel in front of the forearm and mill it octagonal.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Steps can be executed with elegance by performing a wedding band cut. Which can be further embellished with a beed adjacent to the band front and rear. Octagonal would look good as well but you would still need something to accentuate the transition again a nice wedding band cut would look fine.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
butchloc - That's nice. Any chance of getting a better picture of the barrel?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i can try - but i'm not much of a photographer - pm me your email & i;ll see what i can do - kobe did the barrel work - claims that he wore his fingers down to the bone polishing the transition points - but as usual old bony fingers did a super job

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
This is what butchloc sent me. I think it looks nice. Opinions sought - What do you think?

And so you don't have to look back through the forum, here is a picture of that rifle:

one of us
posted Hide Post
very nice it could take up a place in my safe

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote