New
Find
Notify
Tools

MPI stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have any experience with these Oregon-made fiberglass stocks?

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
You couldn't give me one. I spent the $400 and ended up giving the stock away. My example was roughshod,at best. It was incredibly flimsy and an eye-sore to boot.

I've learned more than one stock lesson and have forgot none of them. McMillan or bust,for me...........

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
POS

Administrator
posted Hide Post
John,

I bought a number of them for Dakota actions, most of them were pretty awful, and some were downright ridiculous to even call them stocks!

A 5 year old kid could make better stocks with moddeling clay.

I would never buy them again.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67007 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Big Stick:
I spent the $400 and ended up giving the stock away.

Whew, that hurts!

<allen day>
posted
JUNK!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by allen day (edited 12-19-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never owned one, and surely never will. A local smith always has a truckload of MPI stocks at the local gunshows he displays at. I have looked at them once, maybe twice and can say with good faith, IMHO, that this brand is junk. They feel flimsy and the shell appears to be paper thin. They do not exhibit the solid feel that higher quality quality synthetics have.

[This message has been edited by DavidReed (edited 01-13-2002).]

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Agree that they are junk based on the last one I bought 2 years ago. HOWEVER, they may have gotten their act together recently. I saw several at my rifle builder's shop that look a whole lot better than the one I had to completely rebuild. He's once again using them and now says they are no worse than others.

Another point is that the configuration, of at least their kevlar product, has a very high comb. I doesn't fit me well.

I'm with the others. I wouldn't buy another.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Phil R>
posted
Wow! Doc Roland is really taking a beating on this thread. I've rarely heard a good word about his MPI stocks but I will share my limited experience. I have a Ruger MkII stainless in an MPI stock that started life about 10 years ago as a .338 and became a .375/.338 about 3 years ago. This stock has traveled some rough country and it still looks and feels new. There are no wear signs and it fits, feels and shoots great!

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

<Big Stick>
posted
Gary,

Would have hurt worse,had it cost me a critter. Life is a lesson and that was but one of them(grin)..............

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Junk! Fit for the Taliban!

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
Oh well, here goes... I bought an MPI about 15yrs. ago and love it. It's on it's third rifle. I must admit that the ones of late are of poor quality and require a lot of work. On the other hand, Brown Precision are a hell of a lot of work, too. Rimrocks, or Pacific or whatever they are called these days are easy to finish and seem tough.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daryl Elder:
Rimrocks, or Pacific or whatever they are called these days are easy to finish and seem tough.

Got a web address for 'em?

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Jim Borden makes them now and they are a good product. Search his name,you'll get his site.

McMillan is without peer,in my estimation. Doubly so,when considering their limitless options...........

<Daryl Elder>
posted
John Frazer, try www.rimrockstocks.com

<daveinmt>
posted
I purchased an MPI about 7 or 8 years ago. total POS. I spent untold hours trying to get it to fit right, but you can't polish a turd. It is up in my garage rafters somewhere. It was allegedly inletted for a pre-64 M70, I will sell it real cheap.

Bit the bullet and purchased a McMillan.

"Buy the best, you only cry once"

daveinmt

<chris_m>
posted
Ok Daveinmt what do you want for the stock?
Chris
chris-m@pacbell.net

<daveinmt>
posted
Chris,
I am having trouble getting through to you on the e-mail address you provided. If you are intersted, call me @ 406 496-9835

daveinmt

<chris_m>
posted
Dave,

Just saw your reply. I am working some odd hours so it may be hard to call you at a decent hour. Why dont you try this e-mail it should work:

mudskipy70@hotmail.com

Chris

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Dave,

If Chris doesn't want it drop me a line at ramrod340@hotmail.com

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
My only experience with MPI was in the late 80's. I sent them a barreled Brno 602 in .460WM. The product I received was nicely finished and has survived probably 300 rnds. This stock is at least as nice as the McMillan on my .416Rem. Cobalt

<440dodger>
posted
As a Riflesmith that actualy does this for a full time living, I have installed over 500 of MPIs stocks over the last 12 years.It is true that the novice or wanta be goonsmits should stay clear of a stock that requires you know what you are doing. These stocks are as strong as anything on the market, and they are the only company that makes fiberglass and true light weight stocks for a number of oddball rifles, Win.88 and100s, Ruger#1s, GoldenEagle, Colt Sauer, and many more. Does McMillan make an anbidextrous thumbhole stock for a Ruger#1?? Do they make a 13oz. graphite/kevlar reinforced stock blank? Each stock company has their market. MPI stocks are for experianced gunsmiths, not the drop in crowd. Thanks Rick

<Big Stick>
posted
Entertaining,but you must remember one thing...

You can bullshit the fans,but you can't bullshit the players. As mentioned,I gave mine away(first reply,this thread)..................

Administrator
posted Hide Post
440dodger,

The ones you have gotten might have been the best in the world - I am not doubting what you are saying. It is just that the ones I have received are well and truly horrible.

I will post pictures of them in the morning.

For your information, I get all my stocks through a friend who is a well known stocker for the bench rest crowd. He also makes his living from stocking rifles.

He would not touch MPI stocks.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

Posts: 67007 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<440dodger>
posted
BIG STICK We all have our opinions. We all know what opinions are compared to also. Not all of us can afford to give our things away if we are not happy with them, coach. As I said each stock company has their market. McMillans is the drop in, no paint, do as little as you have to crowd, that only build rifles on Remingtons, Winchester, Ruger,ETC. mail stream, plain vanilla, and yes the anal benchrest clonies whos guns you can only tell apart by their Pimpin paint jobs. (coulden't resist the jab on the BR folks) Sorry those are not the only guns out there. A lot of people have rifles that aren't main stream, Ruger 44mag carbine, Manlicher styles, Ruger#1 into a one piece stock, Marlin leveraction, Tikka, Rem.870, 742, Browning BAR.& BLR, Sako lever action. How about a fiberglass bull pup? Does McMillan make stocks for many if any of these rifles? It is easy to whine and complain. What do you tell the person that wants a fiberglass stock for their Colt Sauer rifle? You don't need one because McMillan dosen't make one! How many 5lb. or lighter rifles have you built useing a McMillan or Rimrock stock?? Each company has their market. Live and let live. Thanks Rick

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
In other words, if you have NO other options then try MPI!!!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought an MPI stock for a 416 Rem I built on a P-14 action. I was a little disappointed when I received it.It appeared that it must have fallen of the assembly line about 3/4 the way through.It took a lot more work to bed & finish it but when I was finished I was quite pleased. That was about 12 years ago.That rifle has never changed the point of impact and according to my records I have close to 1500 rounds thru it.It has been dragged around on 3 wheelers and snow machines and canoes without any problem. Then again the 416 might not be much of a test for a synthetic stock !

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
440Dodger,

Of course we all have differing opinions,that is what makes a Forum interesting.

However,you will note,that despite vastly different levels of experience,locales and finances,there are some constants amongst these diverse individuals.

I could NOT,in good faith,steer someone towards an MPI product.

I couldn't afford to give the stock away either. But that was less expensive,than using it myself. Money doesn't come easy to me,so I pay careful attention to what works and what doesn't. The MPI was the most inferior outdoor related product,I have ever purchased. In fact,I can't think of anything else to give it a run for it's money,in that Elite Category.

You quantify the MPI,because it is a light handle. McMillan is forthright in their explanation of that,"we won't sacrifice quality,for weight". I can understand that.

I dabble a little in light rifles and there are superior examples,for like money. Lone Wolf for one. They are INFINATELY superior to the MPI,regarding every facet. Despite that,they still aren't a McMillan,but of course a man knows that going in.

You want to delve into subjective matters and that is ALL personal opinion. What is NOT opinion. Are the pieces of shit,that MPI happily Mails to unsuspecting customers,under the guise of being a quality product. That is not an opinion. They are roughshod,start to finish and lacking in all areas. If you can comfort yourself and say,"well at least it's light",then more power to you. I can't afford to do that,nor could I tell someone else that,while cashing their check.

I work too hard for what little money I make,to pay full bore,for a subpar product. If they are your cup of tea,that is fine. Just don't spout their virtues,that do NOT exist.

If you want to spend a lot,on a POS,MPI will cash your check and with a grin..............

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Not wanting to get into a pissing contest, but I have had to rebed at least one stock that came from McMillan that didn't do it's job as far as accuracy is concerned. I have had some MPI stocks that required some effort to fit and finish, but they required less finishing than some such as Brown Precision's creatures. JMHO.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Here is a photo of some of the better MPI stocks that we were so unfortunate to get.

We kept these as we hope to at least salvage some of them.

The worst ones must ahve been thrown away.

The one on the right is bent. All of them have barrel channels that have not been finished. The two in the middle have large cavities ahead of the recess for the recoil lugs. Sorry the photo does not show it very well.

This sort of damage is found all around the cut out for the action.

I have thought a lot about what sort of inspector would allow this sort of rejects to actually go out to his customers.

That is why I will not deal with MPI again.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

one of us
posted Hide Post
A picture is worth a thousand words!

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
The photos don't show anything unusual; a proper bedding job will take care of anything I can see in your photos, Saeed. I have had to "straighten" a few MPI stocks because the forestock was not straight, but when doing the bbl channel anyway, it's just part of the bedding job at hand. Internal looks don't measure up to problems externally that one will see on the finished product. Externally the finish on MPIs is good and easy to work with. Every synthetic stock will require bedding of the action area, mag well, and bbl channel. It's the quarter size holes on the outside that require a lot of work and time. FWIW. Daryl.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Daryl,

I am sorry the photo does show what I mean so clearly.

But my greatest worry about those stocks the numner of chunks of material which seem to be missing from them.

Also they are sold as drop in stocks - I know, we have to bed all so called drop in stocks, but the internal finish on these is does not inspire confidence at all.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

<Cobalt>
posted
Has the company changed hands or changed philosophy since the 80's? The service I received in stocking my .460 is nothing short of perfect--no gaps, nice finish and if it will withstand the battering of a .460WM, it is plenty strong enough. One thing that can be said about MacMillan is that they have the best guarantee in the business. I had a front action screw break on my Sako custom in .416Rem causing a split at the tang. The rifle was built about '88. I called MacMillan and they advised me to return the stock--13 years after purchase. I received a replacement two weeks later. That sort of service is rare and limited to a few companies like Leupold and MacMillan. Cobalt

<bob in beaverton>
posted
I have two MPI stocks. The first one turned a "gun show special" into a one hole at 100 yards shooter. I bought the second one for my M1 Garand because I liked the first one so much. The fit and finish on mine are both very good and they are NOT flimsy. It sounds like some of the complaints are from people who did not do their homework before they spent their money. Be forewarned that even a "drop in" stock does require some work.