Find
Notify
Tools

Fred Wells passes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted
Yesterday , Jan 15th, I stopped by the Wells shop in Prescott to see Fred and Rachel and Rachel informed me Fred had died that morning.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4205 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very sad news about a great genius.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
That's a real loss. To say that Fred contributed a lot to the custom rifle world is an understatement. I was fortunate enough to have spent a few hours in the shop while he was working. It was a true pleasure.

Forrest Bowers

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow he will be missed. I was no more then 14 when I first met Fred with my dad. I marveled at his cluttered shop. Both Rachel and Fred have meant so much to so many in the custom gun making and engraving field. God bless you Fred and your family.

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
That's sad news Phil but thanks for letting us know. Fred was an icon in the gunmaking industry.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It always saddens me to hear about the death of people who are icons, pioneers, experimenters, ie, significant figures in our sport.
They leave behing big shoes to fill.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sad to hear this news.

Condolences and best wishes to the Wells family.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About 23 years ago I was thinking of building a 510 Wells. Mr. Wells was gracious enough to spend about half an hour on the phone with me in the middle of the day and answer all my questions, no matter the simplicity or complexity of the question. A true gentleman and treasure to the custom gunmaking industry. My deepest sympathies to his family.

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fortunately I had the oportunity to meet Fred at SCI last year.Sadly not this year or ever again. Dont put life off.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
The world is a lesser place...

may his passing be easy

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Yesterday , Jan 15th, I stopped by the Wells shop in Prescott to see Fred and Rachel and Rachel informed me Fred had died that morning.

Very sorry to hear that. I met Fred a few years ago at SCI (3-4) I think.
I have been happy with one of Fred's works with Rachels' engraving. Nice work and of his action also. I like her engraving as well.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear, I've read about him for years. A neighbor has 3 of his rifles, took an 85 pounder with one.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The world of mausers got significantly smaller. God rest his soul, and condolences to his family.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Sad indeed! We keep loosing the great ones...the ones for whom no repacement is possible! Frowner

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Fred Wells was undoubtedly the king of the big bore magnum Mauser custom rifle.

Sad news.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never met him- but saw pictures of his work, the gun world can ill afford to loose people like him, may his new hunting ground be vast and game plentiful- RIP

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Brad_Rolston
posted Hide Post
God's blessings, and condolences to his family.

Brad

Brad Rolston African Hunting
P.O. Box 506
Stella
Kalahari
South Africa
Tel : + 27 82 574 9928
Fax : + 27 86 672 6854
E-Mail : rolston585ae@iafrica.com

Posts: 318 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spent one of my most enjoyable ACGG shows with Fred and Rachel immediately behind me. My booth faced south and theirs faced north. He was an absolute joy to be around. He was constantly pulling some wonderful goody out of his briefcase and showing it to me. I would be sitting there and would hear him say, "Chic, catch" and some small item would come flying through the air. Fortunately, I caught all of them. I had a great time with him and found him to be a incredibly open, warm and extremely talented person. I will miss him. But I will forever be grateful for having the opportunity to get to know him.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
Fred and Rachel gave a friend and me an inpromptu tour of his shop last winter. He was endlessly opening a cabinet to show me one rifle or project after another. He was particularly proud of Rachels gunsmithing and engraving (he had two of her rifles in a cabinet..I undersood that she has built them from scratch as he did his). In all Fred gave us about an hour of his time. It was a "life's experience" for me. I will always remember the art and beauty of his work, but more so his and Rachel's hospitality.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 310 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote