Find
Notify
Tools

Adjusted triggers on 700 rem.s
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted
I got those 4 Remington 700's and one model 7 triggers adjusted to 2 pounds. I haven't field tested them as yet but work fine with snap caps. Question is: is 2 pounds to lite for rifles used mostly for hunting? Where the weather gets cool and some times down right cold and you wear from lite gloves to heavy ones. Just wondering what the most popular opion is, as have been told might be to lite. also have 2 that the trigger slack is being a bear to take up.

[This message has been edited by alleyyooper (edited 02-22-2002).]

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My preference is 2.5 - 2.75#. I can shoot these while wearing deerskin gloves with no problem.

Give the buttstock a good smack on the floor with the action cocked and safed to make sure your safety is still going to do its job.

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted Hide Post
Remington triggers are set up to adjust for creep, trigger pull and over travel. There are three seperate screws that can be used to adjust these parameters. I'm not going to be foolish and give you advice on how to adjust them although I have done my own and am very satisfied.In the last year an issue of the Varmint Hunter had an excellent article on adjusting Remington triggers. I assume the trigger slack you are referring to is trigger creep. That will be very easy to adjust if you read the article. I adjust my triggers for a light pull with considerable creep but a don't shoot with gloves on. This is one great feature of Remington rifles, trigger adjustability.

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Ben H>
posted
This link has good step-by-step instructions:
www.snipercountry.com./RemingtonTriggers.htm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the link to the article Seamus is referring to:

www.varminthunters.com/tech/crisp.html

Regards,

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help everyone. Sounds as though I should set my triggers for a bit more pull, say about 3 pounds min..

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Hey guys -
Here's another good site, if you're into 700's, http://pages.zdnet.com/remingtonsniper/remington700rifleclub/id14.html

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Alleyouper: A couple years ago I had my pal gunsmith lighten a M700 Varmint to the very edge...slightly under 2.5 pounds. We did the cock and smack the buttstock test a couple times and it held. I tested it several times at the range vigorously closing the bolt without any problems. Off I went on a cull shoot in Australia. About two days into the shooting I started having problems with the trigger sear not holding the firing pin back as the bolt was cycled. Didn't have any shot firing incidents but several times I was trying to pull the trigger on a bolt that wasn't cocked. I believe the field shooting I was doing had worn a couple thousandths off and rendered the trigger job "too much". Ended up having to do a "trigger job" in the middle of the Outback with toolbox tools. Managed to get the trigger sear engagement and pull back up to around 3 pounds and had no further problems.

If was another "Big Lesson learned the hard way" for me.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Dave>
posted
With all the horror stories and lawsuits over Remington triggers, there is another good test to do. You can slam the bolt shut twenty-five times or so while watching the firing pin for a slam fire.

I have a '71 model 700 that has the best trigger of any I have ever shot. I don't know how what pound pull it is, but the trigger is worth as much as the rest of the gun. I have never had any trouble with it.

------------------
Davis Chase