New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ stock and metal work
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I remember seeing pictures of modern CZ's that had been re-worked to make the stocks more trim/elegant and bolt handles straightened ect. The work seemed nice and reminiscent of BRNO's. Can any of you give me contact information for competent gunsmiths that do this type of work as a speciality. If any of you have pictures with examples of a particular smiths work, I would greatly appreciate that as well.

Thanks,

Lance

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
AmericanHuntingRifles is best known for this.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Here is one Lon Paul, at Tanglewood guns, reworked last year. It is also rechambered from 9.3x62 to the 9.3x66 (aka .370 Sako)

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you see how gorgeous that Lon Paul rifle is you have to wonder just a little bit why the factory doesn't make them a little bit more like that in the first place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you saying that that is an original stock that was reshaped and checkered.

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
There is certainly enough "meat" on the factory stocks to reshape one like the Lon Paul rifle. Even those with California or Weatherby-style stocks have plenty of excess. I have re-done several, am currently reshaping 2 ZKK602s. In addition to reshaping and recheckering, they ususally need to be glass beddded because of poor factory inletting. Here is a 223 ZKK601 with reshaped factory California-style stock:

Silvertip: "When you see how gorgeous that Lon Paul rifle is you have to wonder just a little bit why the factory doesn't make them a little bit more like that in the first place."- Have always wondered this myself, regarding many factory rifles.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I recall, someone here had one re-worked by Roger Ferrell with excellent results. Roger is in Georgia which may be a benefit to you since you're in Alabama.

http://www.acgg.org/index.php/...rofile/Rferrell.html

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Roger is an excellent guy to deal with. Several years ago I sent him a ZKK602 in .458 WM to rework. We ended up restocking the rifle, along with adding a Wisner safety, rust blue, and new bolt handle. Roger also fabricated a warthog ivory rear sight insert. The rifle is a joy to carry and to shoot.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For that very reason I searched for some time for a "proper" 602 and found one a couple of years ago. A fellow over on the Campfire refinished the stock, recutting the checkering and adding the forend tip and crossbolts. Tip Burns cut the barrel to 23" and mounted the NECG front sight and Talley swivel band. It already had the LaPour safety and checkered bolt knob when I bought it. Found it on the used rack at Cabelas.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's another view of Lon Paul's rifle, supplied by Lon:

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lshopper:
I remember seeing pictures of modern CZ's that had been re-worked to make the stocks more trim/elegant and bolt handles straightened ect. The work seemed nice and reminiscent of BRNO's. Can any of you give me contact information for competent gunsmiths that do this type of work as a speciality. If any of you have pictures with examples of a particular smiths work, I would greatly appreciate that as well.

Thanks,

Lance

If you like to PM me I'll email you a magazine article on reworking the CZ stock. Some photos and good narrative on measurements etc.

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eagle27,
If you have an extra copy, I sure would like to have one.

Thanks, Don

gus1@att.net

Posts: 39 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eagle27,
Could you also send me a copy of that article.
I'm currently adding sights and rechambering a cz 550 into a 9.3x64.
Re-doing the stock is next on the list.
I can't seem to be able to get the pm option to work at the moment.

My email is kats1@adam.com.au

Thanks Mate.

Posts: 61 | Location: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: 21 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone successfully removed the masses of stamped writing on the lhs of the CZ receiver?

Posts: 61 | Location: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: 21 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gk1:
Has anyone successfully removed the masses of stamped writing on the lhs of the CZ receiver?

AHR will do it on the ones they upgrade, so yes it can be done.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
458 Lott by David Christman It was built on a CZ550 receiver.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
gk1: Has anyone successfully removed the masses of stamped writing on the lhs of the CZ receiver?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles_Helm and fla3006,

Any idea how they remove the stamping? is it done by hand or surface ground on a machine?

As mentioned, l'm getting some decent sights put on a cz550 American and rechambering from x62 to x64. I'm wondering if l should also deal with removal of all the large wording as l imagine the gunsmith will reblue the action at the same time as doing the barrel.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I am not sure how Wayne did it. I would have to ask him.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote