THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Making a functional rifle out of a Winchester M70

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making a functional rifle out of a Winchester M70
 Login/Join

<PCH>
posted
I have recently purchased a Winchester Classic Featherweight in 308 Win. The design and overall appearance (except for finish) is very nice on this rifle. But obviously, quality control isn't of high priority at Winchester.

* As it is now the feeding is a bit problematic. Most rounds are gripped by the claw on their way into the chamber but especially the 4 th round isn't gripped at all.

* Round nose bullets often get stuck on the back of the chamber.

* The trigger is heavy and creepy.(this must be easy for a competent gunsmith)

So, can these problems be fixed by a gunsmith? Or is it back to the dealer and a refund?

What else could or should be done on this rifle to make into a good hunting rifle that functions perfectly.

<Don Martin29>
posted
You can learn to fix that little stuff yourself, hire someone to do it or buy more expensive rifles. Holland and Holland comes to mind.

I would take it out of the stock and work on the trigger. This site may help. http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/AdjustingWinTrigger.htm

Some here send their M-70's out to be tweaked. I just buy old ones that don't need tweaking. At least so far that's been my experiance.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
PCH. I have a M70 that needed a lot of tweeking.
Accuracy was ho hum. The barrell channel had a ridge down the middle that made it imposible to shot more than two times with out a change in the point of impact. I removed the ridge and floated the barrel, glass beded the action, and adjusted the trigger to 2 1/2 pounds. Shoots MOA now with most loads. I am still looking at how to remove the creep from the trigger. I was going to post a topic to see what other M70 owners have done to correct the problem short of installing am a fter market trigger. any ideas????
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Fireplug>
posted
My opinion is do not replace Model 70 triggers. They are bad from the factory to keep the lawyers quiet, but a good gunsmith can easily and cheaply make a better field unit out of the stock M70 than one of the aftermarket triggers. I had mine done sometime ago by J&G of Roseville, CA but I would guess $50 should still give you a clean break of 2.5-2.75 pounds from any good smith that knows M70s.

<Don Martin29>
posted
Do a search here on the subject. Some gunsmith here told how to reduce the sear engagement. A dab of epoxy was suggested.

This is easy to do.

<MOA>
posted
I just broke in my classic stainless in 270 wsm. It shoots MOA. One complaint though. If I put just one round in the magazine and attempt to chamber it gets cought up in the chamber, something is hitting the side of teh case. If I fill the magazine and cycle the action relatively fast it works fine. This is my first win, is this normal for the "controlled feeding."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trouble with feeding may be the norm with new -old 70s but not old -old 70s. I just bought a .338 rebarreled from a .270 with the bolt face opened up and extractor shortened, no rail work is needed. While checking things out before putting my money down I loaded the magizne with 3dummy rounds. They fed perfectly, then the seller said watch this and fed 3 empty case through the action. I did it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke. The gun shoots tight groups to!

Back aways on this board is a good discussion on adjusting Win. triggers.

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Thanks Don: did the search , I have stoned the sear enguagement and that helped a lot, had thought about installing a 4-48 set screw like on the factory Savage triggers. the epoxy or a drop of hi temp solder may be a thing to try in the future.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the problems on your M-70 are an easy fix...all one needs to do is hone a M-70 trigger and set it up...It is still the best trigger ever made for a rifle...

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<PCH>
posted
THanks,
The trigger is an easy fix just as I expected. But how about the feeding problems?

<Don Martin29>
posted
To be honest I don't know how to slick a M-70 except in a general way. Perhaps there is a reference in Howes Gunsmithing or some book that we could be refered to. I have three old M-70's that feed perfectly. They are .300H&H, .375H&H and a .358 Win. I have not checked my 30/06 Featherweight. I know that my pre-64 that was a .264 Mag and now is a .224" wildcat with a short case does not feed perfectly but I don't really care. Well I do care but there is so much else to do. For a varmint rifle it's a want and not a need.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Feed and extractin is problematic and best left to a good smith, but it is not costly..Give it to our own John Ricks, he will fix it and not strain your pocket book...

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote