New
Find
Notify
Tools

Made first scope mounts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

This is my first attempt at making a set of scope mounts for an action. These are for Talley quick detach rings and are mounted on a Defiance action. I have given up on Montana and McGowen ever coming out with their mini actions for .223 so I had Glenn Harrison make me one of his new actions along the lines of a Remington model 7. So, I have mounts, now I need some way to eliminate the Remington style recoil lug so I can adapt a quarter rib and find some stainless bottom metal if that's possible. Any ideas?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 828 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pics not working here...

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, photobucket isn't working. Will try to post photo later. Mad

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 828 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In an old gunsmithing book it shows how a guy made a mauser type recoil lug for a remington and welded it on. I believe the Book is called Riflesmithing.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Didn't Butch "turd weld" one on his 6.5x47 :-)

clowdis

Your pic link is pointing to your home PC "C:"
drive

Posts: 6401 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, got it this morning!

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
In an old gunsmithing book it shows how a guy made a mauser type recoil lug for a remington and welded it on. I believe the Book is called Riflesmithing.

That would be the one. I have a copy and it's straight forward. Just hog out a block of 4140 cut the radius on the bottom screw in place to hold in correct location while welding then weld it up.

Pics show up now too. Nice job man!!

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if it uses remington model 7 bottom metal, dave kiff makes a pretty nice stainless steel unit.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work. Re-make the front base so it incorporates a lug. Or sleeve with a lug and scope mount that slides over the action. Duane did this with a 500 jeffery I think.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max(hm2):
if it uses remington model 7 bottom metal, dave kiff makes a pretty nice stainless steel unit.

I didn't see that Dave made this in stainless steel. I sent them an email about it but never got a reply. Maybe I should get him on the phone?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[IMG:left] [/IMG]
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

I had the idea of doing a recoil lug like the above where the stainless piece is the recoil lug and the blued piece attaches the lug to the action. The blued piece would then be trimmed to length and the bottom metal would screw to it (sort of like a bedding pillar). After some thought I've grown cold on this idea and am now thinking about profiling the recoil lug to the same diameter as the barrel and running the quarter rib right over it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a 223 that should work.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Palma rifle on an RPA2000 action built by Allen Warner. The RPA2000 is a big round action and Allen silver soldered two trapezoid (tapered rectangle for you public school folks) shaped recoil blocks at the front and rear action screws, essentially double lugging the action. I think this is how the more modern Quadlocks are equipped. It drops into the bedding and torques in like a vault door. You would probably only need the front one, but two makes it rock solid.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen Alan dovetail lugs into the big actions before, particularly Barnards, but I hadn't seen him do the silver solder thing. Sure looks tig welded on the ends though. Very interesting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, it's soldered. He just left a nice fillet. I think I'm going to try this on an older savage action I am bedding into a new Savage Palma stock. I could eliminate the crappy recoil lug and have an easy switch barrel LR/Varmint rifle.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote