New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Problem???Need Help!
 Login/Join

<DavidP>
posted
I'm not sure what has happened and I don't want to make any major changes until I can figure it out.

I have a Model 70 in 375 H&H with a Leupold 1.75-6 32mm scope and Talley QD Rings & Base.

Rifle and access. are about a year old. I had it sighted in 2 inches high at 100 yards. I took it to the range today and it was shooting about 2 1/2 inches low at 100 yards. I am shooting the same factory ammo so I went ahead and tried raising the crosshairs. After several attempts and about 3/4 of one complete circle of adjustment, the point of impact never raised. To add to that, the adjustment topped out.

I had the gunsmith look at it and he couldn't find anything obviously loose or wrong. He put the bore scope on it and said it showed to be about 6-8 inches high!

We took it back oputside, after playing with the adjustments and it was 6 inches low. I started raising it again and it topped out again after getting to hit dead center at 100 yards.

What happened??????

------------------
Good Hunting & Hunt Safe,
David

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you drop the rifle? - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Well you seem to have pretty much sorted out that it is the scope. Try replacing it with anything spare you have laying around, then see what happens. If your problem goes away then send the scope back to Leupold for some looking at. However if you still have similar problems then it is time to start looking at the rifle more closely.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an older steel-tube Weaver V9 (3-9X) that behaves in a similar way. If there's no problem with your scope mount, then I'd conclude that there's an internal problem with the scope in that the reticle adjustment mechanism itself is defective.

One thing you might do is tap on the reticle knobs on the outside of the scope with something like a plastic screwdriver handle while you are looking through the scope to see whether the reticle moves as a result of the tapping. If it does, that's a signal that the adjustment mechanism is stuck.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I'd put another scope on it first.

It is bothersome that the boresight is not near the point of impact,but that is not too uncommon with the M70 express series. I assume this rifle has the welded on barrel lug? They all shoot very low compared to the boresight due to the barrel being warped at the weld.

If you can get it back on target you'll need to test the cold zero. My factory barrel changed the point of impact three inches as it warmed up in the first three shots.

Don

<DavidP>
posted
The rifle wasn't dropped, as far as I know so I guess I'll start with the reticle check. I do have a spare scope I can throw on and start over to see if similar problems happen, then go from there.

Yes, I believe it does have a welded barrel lug also.

This is a prime example of checking and rechecking your equipment well before a scheduled hunt in order to make any repairs or adjustments.

As long as I have it ready by the end of May I'll be in good shape.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted as to what I find, and hopefully it isn't anything serious.

------------------
Good Hunting & Hunt Safe,
David