New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope mounting problem?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I put weaver bases and Burris deluxe zee rings on my Savage, twice, but its aiming WAY to the right. Now what?

Posts: 101 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd ship it back to the factory and let them worry about it.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
You need to determine whether the mounts, rings, or holes in the receiver are out of whack. I'd start by reversing the rings- put the front one in back and the back one in front, and see if it still points to the right. Then use a ruler or straightedge on the bases, make sure the holes are drilled centered,but if they are offset it is OK if they both have the same degree of offset. Then last use the straight edge to check the screwheads to see whether the holes might have been drilled wrong.

Now tell us how much is "way to the right", a foot? an inch? 5 feet?

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it possible the receiver and barrel aren't aligned? It looks like a $80 drive to a gunsmith, my scope is worth more than the rifle so I'm not foolin' around. [Mad] I switched and checked but something obvious hasn't showed up. Thanks for you thoughts.

<JBelk>
posted
PEI ROB---

We need MORE information.

What Savage? What's "aiming" off to the right? Who drilled it? Are the holes straight? What scope? How far is it off at a hundred yards? Which way? Have you shot it, or are you boresighting?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Back to basics.

Pull the bolt, set the rifle up solidly on sandbags, sight down the bore and line the rifle up on a target at least 25 yards away. Make sure the rifle is stable on the bags. If the bore is pointing at the target and the scope ain't, something is out of line.

At this point you send it back to the factory. They installed the barrel; they drilled and tapped the holes; they can damned well fix the problem.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Maybe I came in late in the conversation.

How do you know it's not a re-barreled early M-99 that was drilled by a plumber holding an electric drill?
[Smile] [Big Grin]

<G.Malmborg>
posted
You may not be too far off Jack.

Back in the early to mid 80's a fellow called and said he had an Enfield with a scope he could not zero. I suggested he bring it in for me to see.

It was a SMLE Mk3. As it turned out, the scope base was a piece of angle iron that had been welded to the side of the receiver and his rings consisted of 2 "U" bolts...
[Eek!]

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras."

<BigBob>
posted
PEI ROB,
Scope base screw holes drilled out of alignment is not uncommon. This is one of the reasons I use a one piece Redfield or Leupold type scope base. The windage adjustment screws in the base go a long way to correct this type problem. I hope that this is of some help. Good luck. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tough crowd

-

-

NEW still unfired (except by the factory, remember that one) Savage 16FSS .300 WSM. Drilled and tapped from the factory. Floated the barrel properly ( OK I did it give me a break ), did slightly adjust the trigger so the "wire" remains in contact with casual force at all times, 4.5 to 5 lbs pull. Put on a Harris Bi-pod and sling. Cleaned it.

Borrowed a bore sighter and it was off a little even with the windage adjusted all the way. I'm saying a little because I don't really know but it didn't matter to me since the NEW B&L 4200 scope was adjusted to the max. Had to get the boresighter back. Tried another scope after, didn't seem any better looking down the barrel. About an inch still too far right at 25feet. Thats not very precise but looking down the barrel at my light switch isn't either. I haven't been able to get ammo yet ( [Mad] stupid laws [Mad] ) so its still unfired. Shooting it would be too damn easy wouldn't it. And for all you wise guys that scope isn't for grizzly hunting.
Maybe it will shoot fine but I found a guy somewhat nearby that I'm told will know what's up. Thanks. PS I hoope I goofed not the factory.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken, you can SEE in the picture it is off!

Couple of things to try:

* reverse the bases (flip them)
** swap out the rings for a new set (I've had "issues" with a Signature set, as well).
*** or, even easier, get the offset insert kit that fit the Burris Sig. rings, and center your scope with it. Definitely worth the $8.00.

HTH, Dutch.

[ 12-09-2002, 18:40: Message edited by: Dutch ]

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is that ugly thing on top of the rifle, where a scope should be?

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about a simple Leupold base with windage adjustment in the two back screws?

If that won't cure it, it has got to go back to the factory.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"What about a simple Leupold base with windage adjustment in the two back screws?"

Ditto, or Redfield,

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
PEI Rob---

Let me get this straight----- after all this discussion we find you haven't SHOT IT YET??!!!

NOR have you boresighted it yet by LOOKING DOWN THE BARREL??!! Are you in a jail cell? Nothing to look at but a light switch and no ammo.......that's what it looks like.

Thanks for the exercise. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
If you're not planning on abusing the scope mounts, I'd really recommend a Redfield (or Leupold) base that has adjustments for deflection.

Um... I'd also get out and shoot it, too. No ammo? Find some. Make it happen.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
For shits and tickles - make sure you did not pick up the Burris Signature rings with the offset inserts. I ran into this problem about 10 years ago with a friend�s rifle. Burris included their offset insert by mistake. He couldn�t hit paper at 100 yards. Changed inserts and bingo....

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Bent Scope?

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Hey Jack, take it easy, "are you in a jail cell"
Note he's from Canada, jail cell aint far off when it comes to guns up here. [Mad]
We're working on it! [Eek!]

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote