Find
Notify
Tools

Holland & Bubba
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
Who knew that a classic English .375 H&H Mag. take down rifle could be so much improved by a two tone finish and a lot of buffing? Eeker

Only $11,000.00 at Cabela's!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Maybe a color blind Giraffe will be interested in it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Very innovative. Was it done with nail polish?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An extra low scope mount.... Big Grin

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey, Bubba allowed me to buy a builder on this Holland.....will make a sweet gun when put back to sporter config and I love building these things....

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
One of two things is going on here.

The metal under the purple finish is a different make up than the metal under the blue. I have seena lot of scopes change to purple as they go older. My old Leupold did it.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:

What's the second?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an early, S prefix, 6" .41 Magnum S & W. That too had a very slightly "plum" coloured barrel and cylinder.

I understand it is to do with the composition of the steel.

W W Greener also made some GP Guns with this "plum" colour to the receiver. These are relatively quite common in Great Britain.

I understand because they were made up with .41 Magnum barrels and cylinders on .44 Magnum production frames.

It is long gone, it would not have survived the British handgun ban. But boy, was it accurate!

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
I understand it is to do with the composition of the steel.

Unfortunately, that's exactly what it is.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The metal under the purple finish is a different make up than the metal under the blue. I have seena lot of scopes change to purple as they go older. My old Leupold did it.

Anodizing colors are subject to damage by UV rays. Sealing with nickel acetate helps protect the color. It is possible that Leupold's material suppliers send them the wrong alloy or the anodizing process has some variation that permits the UV damage to the anodizing. Missing the sealing step might cause it.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same exact thing happen to the bolt handle on a M70 300 H&H, had it happen on Ruger Blackhawk pistols, also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester 30-30 frames can also end up red-purple after a dip in the hot blue tank.

Will rust blue work better?

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yeti:
Winchester 30-30 frames can also end up red-purple after a dip in the hot blue tank.

I forget which year they changed the metalurgical make up of the receiver, but if you looked close, inside, you would see that the receivers were plated with some type of crap. "Crap" is a gunsmithing term for shit.

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Guys, You are not dissing the great H&H here, are you? Cause that is not allowed here, ya know? It is a Holland and Holland fer crissake, and 11000 dollars is really, really, cheep!
Just LOOK at what you get!
It even has a slotted front ring and a see-through mount! thumb

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:

What's the second?

Dammit, sometimes you get distracted by your own brilliance!

The second is that the work of the express sights was done at a different time than the first, and a different kind of blue was used.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I disagree. As originally made they should actually pretty much all look the same blue colour.

I think that the colour difference has come about when the thing has been re-blued.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been a while but IIRC the purple is from nickel in the alloy and if you use a higher temperature in the salt bath it comes out blue .

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:

What's the second?

The owner's a poofter.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will this sort of two tone occur if the rifle is rust blued?

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that a higher nickel content will cause the purple color to appear over time. Old Rugers are notorious for this.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
Will this sort of two tone occur if the rifle is rust blued?

A gunsmith that has blued a couple guns for me say's one of the big advantages to rust bluing is all the parts stay the same color for the most part.

The worst thing I've ever had happen was a replaced bolt handle on a M98. You can see the difference in the steel where the handle is welded when tank blued.

When I looked at the above rifle I thought it was done that way on purpose Frowner

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
It is my understanding that a higher nickel content will cause the purple color to appear over time. Old Rugers are notorious for this.

I have also heard the above as well as the temp of the bluing solution was too hot.

I have seen some older S&W revolvers that were a "little purple" as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you can blue those black, with salts, if you are willing to "kill" you salt bath.. or do it with the FIRST run, right after setting up the bluing.. - run the bath HOT - pushing 300-305, and long -- this will also blue not purple ruger actions .. which are notorious for plum finish.

Mig welding bolt handles, or filling in with mig, that the cladding has been left on, will leave a mark, EVERY time.. I just tig em, for what its worth -- looks better in the long run.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Not to mention the front scope base dovetailed thru the receiver ring!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The purple/winered is ether a product of metal composition or casehardening.
In both cases it is easily cured by raising the saltbath temp by apx 10deg centigrades or apx 20 deg farenheit. and also increase the dippingtime. Raising the temp by changing concentration of the bath don't ruin the bath.

When saltbluing for some years, you realize that diferent steels or diferent surfacetreatments requires diferent temp's.

Actualy it is werry easy.
If it doesnt color within 2min, raise the temp before diping.
If it bites imediately, and comes out with powder red on (or worse powder green) you are way to hot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From memory, purpling of steel was explained in Larry Wilson's book "Ruger and His Guns" as being the result of too much silicon in the steel, I think used to make better castings. Perhaps this sight is cast? Early Kimber .22's had this on their trigger guards IIRC. Maybe not a problem with rust blue? Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1971 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote