THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel swap P17 enfield to 1903 Springfield.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted
I was just wondering if this was possible. Also what is the largest caliber that you would want to chamber a springfield in.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The barrels on the US M1917 and the 1903 Springfield are not interchangeable.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn!

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And by the way, the Gunny would ream your ass big time for referring to the US M1917 as a P17.

Semper Fi, carry on. salute

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So is P14 okay since it was the earlier British version? And your right though, if I know the gunny like I think I know him, my ass would be grass and he'd be the lawnmower.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in Marine Corps Boot Camp almost 40 yrs ago. The DI's I had make R. Lee's character look like a Sunday school teacher. And yes, it's okay to refer to the Pattern 14 Enfield as the P-14.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stand to be corrected on this but I've always remembered them as (P)attern 14 in the British nomenclature with all its idiosyncrasies, and (M)odel 17 in the US way of referring to "model" this & that rather than pattern or anything else.
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
can a barrel on an enfield, aftermarket, be turned down and threads recut and work in a springfield?

to answer the other part of your question, there have been springfields chambered in 416 Taylor and 458 winchester.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
can a barrel on an enfield, aftermarket, be turned down and threads recut and work in a springfield?
Yes thank you, that was my next question.

quote:
to answer the other part of your question, there have been springfields chambered in 416 Taylor and 458 winchester.
Thanks again, I was wondering which would be better for a medium or large bore magnum round, M1917 or Springfield

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the springfields will take just about anything a mauser will, but they arfe much easier for the 3.34" or shorter rounds. i have a 300 win, 458 AR, 358win, and 257 bob on them

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On an M1917 what does it take to modify the bolt release too a spring bolt version (? do you know what I mean like on a modern ruger or mauser)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GVG, to resurrect this old thread which I had followed with interest, & having just located my copy of Frank de Haas book " Bolt Action Rifles" it would be possible from the measurements for barrel shanks in the back of this, to turn a M17/P14 shank down to for a Springfield M-1903.
The Enfield is shown as having a minor thread diameter of 1.085" & the S/field as having a major thread diameter of 1.040 so there should be plenty of meat to clean up the Enfield threads & cut new ones for the Springfield.
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote