New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking For Stock Refinishing Service.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Winchester Featherweight stock that has been dinged up a bit (checkering is fine). Needs the factory finish stripped off and the dings and scars raised. It is a pretty minor job, but I am not set up to do it and don't want to get the checkering all plugged up with stripper and old finish.

I will do the sanding and final finish work.

Recommendations?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what you are asking for, tape off the checkering. Then strip the finish off with JASCO Marine Grade stripper and a paint brush applicator. Steam out the dents. Sand the gunstock. Finish the gunstock. Admire your handiwork.

Stripping a gunstock and not getting anything in the checkering is a pain in the rear end. It is very labor intensive. That is why stockers will usually recut the checkering as common course of doing a refinish job.

Yes, I do refinishing as a part of my business. No, I do not do this type of work without fully doing the whole job. Quality Control issues.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. It looks like they have removed the active chemical in the strippers that really made them work well. All I can find is "Premium" paint and epoxy remover.

I guess I will have all winter to work on it though.

I was planning to use an oil finish, but I assume I will have to recut the checkering to some degree, since it will likely fill up with oil and rotten stone. Can't hurt it much as it is.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If your finish is original it is just varnish and will come off with most any powerful solvent like xylene or furniture refinisher.
And you won't need rottenstone; just sand it with oil, and by oil, I mean a modern drying stock finish; I use the stuff from Brownells, tung oil and urethane. Pro custom or something like that. Don't even think about using linseed oil.
As for the checkering; just don't sand it off; it will be fine; clean it with a tooth brush and the solvent.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...I'm over cautions maybe,,,But stay away from xylene...in fact any of the "ene's)

Bad poison, absorbed thru skin, fumes, etc

With the help of an MD, conducted a seminar some years ago...MD's info really put the fear of God into me about the "ene's

Posts: 3609 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johral:
It is a pretty minor job, but I am not set up to do it

Recommendations?

as you said, it requires setup - and you may noticed that the cost of the setup might have exceeded your expectation of the price of this minor job. And, to be honest, if you and I were proximate, I'd invite you over, and would enjoy some coffee and walk you through it.

But this isn't a minor job (minor to me means under 2 hours) and while these are ELAPSED times, not working time, i'd like you to know the overall view

prep the stock - call it an hour to do it correctly

apply stripper - likely 2, if not 3, coats and removal - 4-6 hours

neutralize the stripper -- which likely includes wetting the stock, which raises the whiskers 1 hour

allowing stock to dry, likely overnight to make certain it's dry.

raise the dents by steaming them -- this likely won't take an hour, depending on the work and workability of the wood .. some might do this before stripping the stock .. i've done it both ways, both work .. damp cloth and a hot clothes irons is most likely all one needs

at this point it could be sent back, though in a somewhat sorry state

so, while the actual work is likely less than 3 hours to get the stock ready to be finished, it will take over 2 days to get it there. and one must add time if they don't have stripper and/or neutralizer to hand.

and I, like others, would have some worries on quality control Smiler

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Xylene is the only solvent that works well with the OD paints I use on Army Jeeps. It's banned in kalifornia and their paint jobs look like crap.
Here's another method for raising dents and one I use on all military stocks;
TSP; put some (I never measure it) in a couple gallons of hot water in a plastic trough; soak the stock for 20 minutes; all the oil and dents will be out then you can remove the old finish, which in your case, if original, is cheap varnish.
As everyone has said, this is an easy job, but if you are not that adventurous, then someone else will have to do it for you and I don't have time.
good luck.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the info. It looks like they have removed the active chemical in the strippers that really made them work well. All I can find is "Premium" paint and epoxy remover.

I guess I will have all winter to work on it though.

I was planning to use an oil finish, but I assume I will have to recut the checkering to some degree, since it will likely fill up with oil and rotten stone. Can't hurt it much as it is.

You SURE you don't want to tackle this yourself? It's a pretty simple DIY project even if you've never tried it. I don't share anywhere near the skill and knowledge of some who've replied here, but I've done a few of my own rifles with excellent results. Citristrip works well for taking off the old finish, and it doesn't stink up the house or give you cancer. It works on all but the mega-glossy epoxy finishes like found on some Brownings, etc.

Set up a simple folding table somewhere and cover it with plastic, newspaper, or cardboard.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess I will be doing this one myself. I actually have some toluene in the shop that is used for thinning some of glue that I use. I'll see if it will strip off some of the finish.

I'll make sure to wear my gloves and use a respirator.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Toluene didn't even touch the factory finish. I suspected it must be some kind of polyurethane, and not varnish. The stripper does take it off, but it will take several coats.

Once I start putting the oil to it, there won't be any way to keep it out of the checkering, so I will have to recut it. Or can I sponge it out of the checkering to keep it from building up?

Where can I get Alkanet Root? The base color is pretty blah at this point.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
To get a proper "red oil", you would need to let it infuse for a while. You could buy probably buy "CCL Traditional English Gun Products Red Root Oil" and have it ready to go straight away.

I believe the double gun shop still sells it in the USA:

https://www.doublegunshop.com/...-products-052919.pdf

Posts: 426 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
DO NOT USE ANY SOLVENT IN CLOSED SPACES!!!!
DO IT OUTDOORS!!!
If it is poly it isn't original. Back then Winchester used the cheapest lacquer/varnish they could find.
As for getting finish into the checkering, you just need to be careful, don't slosh it on, and use a toothbrush in the checkering. Only put a few drops at a time, on and rub that around.
Why not practice on a junk stock first? Sounds like you need the practice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do have a stock to practice on, so we are good there. This stock is from the last decade, it isn't an older stock.

As for practice, I suppose I do, since the refinishing projects I did in the past were not checkered, so it didn't matter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes you can keep it out of the Checkering. Tape it off as Dennis Earl Smith said. He knows a bit.
I’ve done this several times successfully.
Since your already stripping the entire stock let it dry after you’ve gotten rid of the stripper. Use masking tape to carefully follow the borders. Use a new exacto blade to just score along the border if necessary. A typical point pattern is easy to follow. It will absolutely keep your Checkering protected and you can finish it at the end.
I believe the Checkering will absorb a lot more of any stain you use.
Good luck, lots of tutorials here by the best pros in the business.

Posts: 375 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Xylene is the only solvent that works well with the OD paints I use on Army Jeeps. It's banned in kalifornia and their paint jobs look like crap.
Here's another method for raising dents and one I use on all military stocks;
TSP; put some (I never measure it) in a couple gallons of hot water in a plastic trough; soak the stock for 20 minutes; all the oil and dents will be out then you can remove the old finish, which in your case, if original, is cheap varnish.
As everyone has said, this is an easy job, but if you are not that adventurous, then someone else will have to do it for you and I don't have time.
good luck.

I've done the same thing, but used washing soda and a low simmer. Works very well, and no harm/damage to the wood (so far). I've got a pre '64 M70 stock that's going to be next.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still need to find the Alkanet root, but I have the oil on order.

Is the Alkanet used throughout the entire process or just the initial cooats to fill the pores?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look up S.B. McWilliams on the internet. He makes what your looking for Sales through Ebay.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Original FW stocks were not red/purple which is what the alkanet root will do. Unless that is the color you want. They were brown/yellow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still need to find the Alkanet root, but I have the oil on order.

Is the Alkanet used throughout the entire process or just the initial cooats to fill the pores?

Here you go.

https://mountainroseherbs.com/...eEAQYASABEgLuUfD_BwE

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Original FW stocks were not red/purple which is what the alkanet root will do. Unless that is the color you want. They were brown/yellow.

As I said above, this is a recent gun, with the Schnabel forend. It does in fact have some red in the finish.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links to the Alkanet root.

Anyone have an answer to the last half of my question - is it used for the whole process or just a few of the initial coats?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, recent FW gun (rifle); I missed that. I have one of those; alkanet root will not duplicate that color either. But it will look fine. I kept thinking you had a 1950s era FW, so, sorry; ignore all my comments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alkanet Oil
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alkan...e:g:dYcAAOSwpLxc0kVT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SB-Mc...0:g:HfMAAOSwwE5WZLjX

Alkanet Root is also available on eBay and I have used it previously to tint Sea Fin Teak Oil.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I recommend the Pagan Witchcraft oil.
It works well for spells and incantations; not sure about stocks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You haven't tried eye of newt, and toe of frog, wool of bat, and tongue of dog?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Yeah...I'm over cautions maybe,,,But stay away from xylene...in fact any of the "ene's)

Bad poison, absorbed thru skin, fumes, etc

With the help of an MD, conducted a seminar some years ago...MD's info really put the fear of God into me about the "ene's

I now have the sealer and the finishing oil. Is the Alkanet used in both? Red oil from start to finish?