New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enfield, Mexican Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The response on custom bottom metal for these acions has been nothing short of overwhelming....thanks to all for your input.

So...Which to do first? We're still awaiting an answer from engineering regarding the two different tang widths on the Mexican.

I'd like to shamelessly test the waters on some Enfield questions

Solid one piece or can you live with seperate mag box?

Standard depth or pot belly?

Doe the bottom metal need to be made to original "footprint" size? (Seems needlessly wide!)

The "rail type" would be a LOT less expensive than the solid one piece construction and I believe we could furnish sheet metal boxes in long mag and 416 Rigby config

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
can you live with seperate mag box?

You ever thought of that design for the 98 Mauser. Would certainly help keep cost down on both sides of the cash register.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, yes!..tradition is hard to break!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
That would be FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumb

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
on the enfield... separate magazine box... standard military bow... center stack, length acceptable for a .505 gibbs...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's see here....standard military bow??? Why not just use standad military bottom metal?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd like to shamelessly test the waters on some Enfield questions

Solid one piece or can you live with seperate mag box?

Standard depth or pot belly?

Doe the bottom metal need to be made to original "footprint" size? (Seems needlessly wide!)

The "rail type" would be a LOT less expensive than the solid one piece construction and I believe we could furnish sheet metal boxes in long mag and 416 Rigby config

Duane-

First of all, thanks for your interest in making bottom metal for M-1917 Enfields. From my point of view, here are my answers to your questions:

Seperate magazine box is fine with me.

Standard depth is fine, as well. My Enfields seem to have deep magazines anyway as I use mine for cartriges based off of .375 H&H cartridges.

Fitting the original footprint of the bottom metal is fine also. The extra width probably solves some of the capacity issues mentioned directly above.

As to the last issue relating to "rail type," that sounds fine as well.

However, I would like something that is a bit more stylish than the standard military trigger bow.

Thanks again.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would prefer and buy with integral mag box, slimmer profile with a drop box. Basically the mauser one you already make just sized to fit the long mags and the enfield action. If I was to use a stock already cut for a military guard, I'd just use a military guard. I think to cut it the same would look awkward and unnessarly bulky. I wouldn't be opossed to a seperate mag box if it was easier to make.
-Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's see here....standard military bow??? Why not just use standard military bottom metal?

you asked.... the .505 gibbs that tip burns is building for me needs a magazine box....he's either gonna build 1 or buy 1... i want center stack, so feeding is not a problem...if you've got 1 by february, 2009...................

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
how much do you think they will cost each? I could use about a dozen one piece would be nice but not realy needed full depth is a must for me. hinged floor and inside the bow release would be good too.what do you have in mind?

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
hinged floor and inside the bow release would be good too.what do you have in mind?

+1

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Please consider making the two piece units also for the folks who can't afford the one piece. They are a luxury not a necessity.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
And from a business standpoint, the separate magazine box can be sold as an accessory for do-it-your-selfers who want the box and their original bottom.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make the footprint as slim and trim as can be but still work for the Rigby case - somthing along the lines of Blackburn No. 4 bottom metal. I'd like the trigger bow to be along the lines of an Oberndorf shape or even better would be a Thom Burgess inspired bow shape. I wouldn't have hurt feelings over a seperate mag box as the original P-14 bottom metal had a seperate box. Just please make the Rigby and Long H&H mag boxes properly dimensioned and substantial enough to handle the battering of 400 and 500 grain bullet noses under recoil forces.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane,

Regarding standard depth vs. Drop-box capacity what are we looking at for the Enfield? Would it be four H&H and three Rigby down for standard bottom metal and five H&H and four Rigby down with drop-box?

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David..your thoughts are well taken. We're leaning toward a pot belly configuraion with seperate box

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to answer the important part...Of course, inside bow release, straddle butt plate. I have examples of both P14 and 17 now..just run this past enineering.

The3MX is about half way along..we'll start the Mex Mausers, then the Enfields....just takes $$$$$!!

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
price? where do I send the mony?

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
David..your thoughts are well taken. We're leaning toward a pot belly configuraion with seperate box

WOW --
Well, most custom rifles on enfields use the straightened, bottom... seriously, just widening and changing the rear screw angle would make mauser parts work on enfield...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39593 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
David..your thoughts are well taken. We're leaning toward a pot belly configuration with seperate box
thumb

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
..just takes $$$$$!!

Yes, but it allows you to earn $$$$ as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CRUSHER:
price? where do I send the mony?
We'll post when available..don't send money yet!

I will be to Sound Metal Products (bottommetal.com)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:
..just takes $$$$$!!

Yes, but it allows you to earn $$$$ as well.
No...you see, we're taking lessons from Uncle Sam...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
The response on custom bottom metal for these acions has been nothing short of overwhelming....thanks to all for your input.

So...Which to do first? We're still awaiting an answer from engineering regarding the two different tang widths on the Mexican. Well, here's our thoughts! Unless there is come overwhelming opposition, we plan on building a rail type pot belly bottom metal for the Enfield. We will make the opening large enough for the 505. The 505 and 416 Rigby share a common OAL or 95.25 mm (3.750 in), so we should be OK there even with 375 H&H (OAL 3.60)

Magazine boxes.....We're really not too hot about making these, but will listen!

Our shop will free up another couple CNC machining centers to make the Enfields about the same time as the Mexican Mausers

The cost is projected to be less than the 1M, but more than the M-70. The run will be special and sort of limited..unless, of course, there is a huge demand.

Each run requires a pretty serious financial commitment. Can you let me know some numbers? No deposits or anything like that, just a serious interest.

Please e-mail me at cgrs@earthlink.net

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
I would prefer and buy with integral mag box, slimmer profile with a drop box. Basically the mauser one you already make just sized to fit the long mags and the enfield action. If I was to use a stock already cut for a military guard, I'd just use a military guard. I think to cut it the same would look awkward and unnessarly bulky. I wouldn't be opossed to a seperate mag box if it was easier to make.
-Don
Take a look at my post on :Mexican Mauser/Enfield" Any of this be of use to you?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

WOW --
Well, most custom rifles on enfields use the straightened, bottom... seriously, just widening and changing the rear screw anglwould make mauser parts work on enfield... Actually, we run ino a problem with the grip config..just gotta have that "droop' to make the grip within reason No, this requires a new set of printsQUOTE]