Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Carcano barrel thread
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
After reading conflicting articles about the actual pitch of the barrel threads, is 55deg. X 14 tpi the best pitch to cut a Carcano barrel?

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just had a barrel out of an action and am in the process of re-barreling it. The threads look to be closer to 55 than 60 but I will cut a stub in both pitches to see what is best. I used the bits to measure the pitch its kinda-sorta in the middle.I don't know if that is any help Confused

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wish I could get my hands on a take-off barrel on this side of the border, or a barrel stub from anywhere, that I could run through the comparator.

It's a shame the Italians weren't as fastidious about record-keeping as some; there'd be specifications and drawings that could settle the matter much more easily. For a rifle that so many people dismiss as not worth wasting time nor money on (keeping the prices down for the rest of us), this question gets debated constantly and with never a clear result.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Some articles I've read say its 1.8 metric which is 14.11 TPI ( mine actually measures 1.9 )......so, Rolland, if you find a pitch and angle that fits,please share...

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In his book, "Bolt Action Rifles", Frank de Haas calls the pitch "Approx. 14 V T.P.I."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok I cut two different pitches one 60 and the other 55. The barrel measured 1.062 major thread diameter and .994 minor 14 tpi V . The 60 gives a closer thread fit and I can get a class 3 fit with no problem the 55 is a little looser and seems to bind on a close fit as it is screwed in.
The rifle is a 1938 so I have no idea what the tolerances are from rifle to rifle. I a going to assume that each will need to be hand fitted according to the rifle. But this works for my project.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rolland, I'll try the 14/60 route. I'm making a truing mandrel first and some other tools for working on the little Italians before I start re-barrelling.
With all the gun guru's on this forum I thought I would have gotten more responses.
These actions are obviously not the most popular, or desirable, for a custom rifle but in my opinion, make a nice light sporter in the appropriate calibres.

Roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:
Thanks Rolland, I'll try the 14/60 route. I'm making a truing mandrel first and some other tools for working on the little Italians before I start re-barrelling.
With all the gun guru's on this forum I thought I would have gotten more responses.
These actions are obviously not the most popular, or desirable, for a custom rifle but in my opinion, make a nice light sporter in the appropriate calibres.

Roger

I'll second that Roger, but you and I are usually in the minority when it comes to Carcanos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember reading a thread many years ago on a Carcano action that was modified to feed 357 Mag cartridges. It ended up as a nest little sporter.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 965 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
This is getting a little off topic......but I don't care 'cause its my thread moon .....the little Italians have even been converted to single shot 8x57!

Roger

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
....just for a little show and tell, this is Lancasters in progress 7.62x39 Carcano custom....

.....is that not as good as any custom rifle ?

Roger

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes it is definitely a nice and unique rifle.
Besides the single shots, many were also converted to magazine 8mm. Maybe they are stronger than people think.

Posts: 17266 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't have it handy, but Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks gives it as well.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1660 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yumastepside:

Roger

i bought several turkish mausers and 91, way back when they were REALLY cheap, and learnt my gunsmithing on those to begin with - i've owned exactly ONE carcano, and i wound up selling it a couple weeks later -- i actually got more for the ammo than for the rifle.. but, again, this was back before electricity

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39567 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy I can remember not having electricity we had to watch tv by candle light.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the pictured Carcano now a single shot? I noticed the cover on the en-bloc ejection port.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 965 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no its been fitted with a CZ magazine.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
Is the pictured Carcano now a single shot? I noticed the cover on the en-bloc ejection port.

Check out this thread on nitroexpress:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com...=0&page=0#Post236683

Lancaster is a pretty inventive guy.

Posts: 41 | Location: Canada | Registered: 24 June 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There’s something about odd projects like this that really intrigues me. Much like the 9.3x62 Mosin that I saw earlier on this forum and the 35 Rem on a 91 Argentine. The ingenuity of these gunsmiths is amazing.

I would guess the actual cost of making these type of projects is only out weighed by the desire to make something different.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I built that 9.3x62 Mosin, which actually shoots .5 moa, and I also built a few 35 Remingtons on 91s. What I am doing now is putting 450 Bushmasters on 91 Argentines. I said, here on AR, it couldn't be done; but I figured it out

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, you are a man of vision and many talents.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Thanks but I benefit from having no training. Training restricts your creativity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I built that 9.3x62 Mosin, which actually shoots .5 moa, and I also built a few 35 Remingtons on 91s. What I am doing now is putting 450 Bushmasters on 91 Argentines. I said, here on AR, it couldn't be done; but I figured it out

Ever do a 458 Win Mag on a Garand????

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No and it is not possible.
I've thought about a 400 Whelen though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No and it is not possible.
I've thought about a 400 Whelen though.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...-458-win-mag-garand/

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
A very bad idea. And not made any more, for a reason.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A very bad idea. And not made any more, for a reason.

Tom do you care to expand on that reason. I know of others that have done and haven't had problems.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
bolt thrust - wouldn't matter if it was blocked off gas port - the 458 will have about 30% greater bolt thrust - which is roughly the equal of a 75k psi 30-06 load in terms of bolt thrust (pi*r*psi if you want to do it yourself)

bolt shear on a garand would be terrible.

Yes, there are working examples, but every time it fires, the garand is seeing the bolt thrust equal to a 30-06 proofload .. and proofloads are meant to be done ONCE. why does it work? because most people aren't going to mag (clip) dump a 458 win ...

which is the same reason I've bought a couple rifles with 3-5 rounds missing from the first box of ammo bought - many people won't shoot hundreds of 458 winmag full house loads in the lifetime of their ownership ...

and then there's recoil sponges like me

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39567 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, the M1 receiver was not designed for that much bolt thrust. Gas port is irrelevant. While they are certainly very strong, this is pushing the safety margin all the way to the end.
Others have been done? Never heard of one of one, and consider it a very unsafe idea. About like putting the 458 on a Spanish 93. It will work, until it, suddenly, doesn't.
And I am not usually conservative on safety.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My opinion is that it is pretty strange. Lothar Walther still offers a Garand barrel in 9.3 x 62. That is getting close to the stresses of the 458 Win Mag. As I recall, only a few people ever inquired about these and no one ever ordered. They were made in small numbers and were expensive. They had sold some in Europe and they worked well.

Garand Receivers and Bolts are made from Forged 8620 ordnance grade steel. Sporting receivers are not made from 8620 nor are they forged. Garand receiver material was not ever made from continuous cast and roll steel either. So, there are major differences between the steel of today and 75 years ago. While testing was no where as good as it is today, They were not using re-melt alloys. There is a difference between cast receivers and forged receivers. The elongated and compacted grain structure from 75 years ago from forging operations is considered overkill in todays market.

The 30 cal. M2 cartridge had a max adv. pressure of 50k PSI. This was the bulk of the 30-06 WWII ammo. This is also a CUP value. The 458 Win Mag has a rating of 53K CUP. The modern loads used in 458 Win Mag will be electrically measured and this will give a higher value. Same for the Old M2 load. Other loads for the Garand during WWII were a bit higher in pressure. Particularly the AP round and the grenade round. But no bullet. So pressure wise the 458 is about equal to the average sporting loads over the last 40 years.

S&B has been selling a duplicate M2 load for the last few years but I have not got my hands on any of it. Been trying!

There are some other things to look at.

As the gas port is nearly at the muzzle, there could be a harmonizing affect on the pressure between the two modern cartridges.
The bolt is not going to unlock until the pressure is very low. This is where the Garand has an edge over the M14. If you are using a 458 Win Mag, you can control the gas port size.
You do run a risk of accelerated wear by using the 458 cartridge. So long as the opening and movement of the bolt is not violent and it does not contact the rear of the receiver then it should work.
Just because you can and it will work does not mean it is a good idea. Unless it is done correctly it WILL cause accelerated wear. It is way to much work to get a gun set up to this level.
One area to look out for is the operating rod. In this case, it will be very fragile and it can bend or crack.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what's this got to do with Carcano barrel threads? moon

Roger

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nothing; Your thread has been hijacked.
The cal 30 produces a back thrust of 5800 pounds. the 458 is 7339 pounds.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I love the profile of the stock and the mag mod is genius

Posts: 6480 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will follow this thread as I have a carano action that I plan to rebarrel to a 35 remington. I have also read that the correct thread is 1.80 mm or 14.11 tpi. I can cut a 14.1136 tpi on my lathe. It will be several months before I get to this project.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:
My opinion is that it is pretty strange. Lothar Walther still offers a Garand barrel in 9.3 x 62. That is getting close to the stresses of the 458 Win Mag. As I recall, only a few people ever inquired about these and no one ever ordered. They were made in small numbers and were expensive. They had sold some in Europe and they worked well.

Garand Receivers and Bolts are made from Forged 8620 ordnance grade steel. Sporting receivers are not made from 8620 nor are they forged. Garand receiver material was not ever made from continuous cast and roll steel either. So, there are major differences between the steel of today and 75 years ago. While testing was no where as good as it is today, They were not using re-melt alloys. There is a difference between cast receivers and forged receivers. The elongated and compacted grain structure from 75 years ago from forging operations is considered overkill in todays market.

The 30 cal. M2 cartridge had a max adv. pressure of 50k PSI. This was the bulk of the 30-06 WWII ammo. This is also a CUP value. The 458 Win Mag has a rating of 53K CUP. The modern loads used in 458 Win Mag will be electrically measured and this will give a higher value. Same for the Old M2 load. Other loads for the Garand during WWII were a bit higher in pressure. Particularly the AP round and the grenade round. But no bullet. So pressure wise the 458 is about equal to the average sporting loads over the last 40 years.

S&B has been selling a duplicate M2 load for the last few years but I have not got my hands on any of it. Been trying!

There are some other things to look at.

As the gas port is nearly at the muzzle, there could be a harmonizing affect on the pressure between the two modern cartridges.
The bolt is not going to unlock until the pressure is very low. This is where the Garand has an edge over the M14. If you are using a 458 Win Mag, you can control the gas port size.
You do run a risk of accelerated wear by using the 458 cartridge. So long as the opening and movement of the bolt is not violent and it does not contact the rear of the receiver then it should work.
Just because you can and it will work does not mean it is a good idea. Unless it is done correctly it WILL cause accelerated wear. It is way to much work to get a gun set up to this level.
One area to look out for is the operating rod. In this case, it will be very fragile and it can bend or crack.

The .458's case bolt face diameter is .532" vs .473" for the .30-06. That's an increase of 26.5%

Thus the bolt thrust is that much higher. in the event of a case rupture.

Whether or not that's within the margin of safety of the action, I couldn't say.

Posts: 493 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote