New
Find
Notify
Tools

CnC Barrelworks?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody out there had a barrel done by these folks?

www.cncbarrelworks.com

Comments?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep,
i wanted a straight taper on a barrel i had and it is what i got. put it on a montana action and just got it back from scrollcutter with 275 rigby engraved on it. they were quick and did what i asked. don't think i can ask for more.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the only "cnc" technology that eliminates chatters is EDM (grinders, too, but not the same thing)

seems to be a fair price, btw

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
the only "cnc" technology that eliminates chatters is EDM (grinders, too, but not the same thing)

seems to be a fair price, btw

jeffe

No machining, EDM, or Grinding will completely eliminate tool marks, but it's the degree of toolmarks that can be achieved with proper speeds, feeds, and tool selection that makes the difference.
We have consistenly achieved finishes on lathes that exceed 32 and some lower than 16. These finishes are far better than what is normally seen on barrel contours prior to hand finishing or polishing.

If a guy sets up the barrel right and knows his tools and S&F's, achieving what they are claiming wouldn't be difficult.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Triggerguard

Nice to hear from you. Everyone wants to know how your action is coming along!!! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
achieving what they are claiming wouldn't be difficult.Matt Williams V.P.

interesting to say the least boohoo

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I just emailed them asking if they could do a contoured octagonal barrel with 1/4 rib left on one flat.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I just emailed them asking if they could do a contoured octagonal barrel with 1/4 rib left on one flat.

i did the same... reply said "we don't do quarter ribs"

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do they offer any sort of guarantee as to barrel straitness after the machine work? I think most of us will agree that recontouring a factory contoured barrel can be an iffy thing. Yeah, they might look cool, but how do they shoot?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max(hm2):
yep,
i wanted a straight taper on a barrel i had and it is what i got. put it on a montana action and just got it back from scrollcutter with 275 rigby engraved on it. they were quick and did what i asked. don't think i can ask for more.

Was this an original barrel off the gun you had turned or was it a new barrel blank?

hijack Also, was it a 7x57 that you renamed 275 rigby on the barrel?

I'm told they are the same caliber.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote