THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

santa barbera magnum action...whats it worth?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know they are not top of the line due to some heat treating issues but what are they worth? or better yet, what are they going for?

The one I got was originally a 300winmag. to be honest, I'm not gonna do anything with it. Toomany tools is doing a project for me right now and I'm expecting a new hunter in this world in Nov so my days of building guns are gonna be put on hold for a while (that damn priority thing).

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
surface ground and heat treated they aren't bad ..
congrats on the kid!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, I don't mean to step on your toes. However, if the rifle was shot some in 300 mag, and it dosn't already show evidence of set back or anything of a problem, the probability is high of it being a reasonably good action.

My solution to this action would be to sell it, but that's just me. If I wanted to use it, I would probably plan on sending it to PacNor for barreling, primarily because I already know they check such things as action hardness, setback and such. I've had them flat out reject an action I sent to them, saying it was too soft, and already had setback. It was a 1909 Argentine, and I was thankful to them for catching that. I'm sure other gunsmiths can check it for hardness status.

IMO, the action isn't worth the money to pay for surface grinding, unless a guy can do it properly himself. This is the kind of action, IMO, to put a stainless barrel of choice on, and Black T the whole barreled action, drop it in a Hogue stock, and enjoy. It's a minimal investment action, and if it's sound and functions properly, it should be very close to ready to go. It looks like it has aluminum bottom metal, which would black T well.

I'm hesitant to try and give an opinion of its worth, because for one thing I think it would sell for more than I would pay for it. I suspect it could go for $300 or more, and I won't insult anyone by saying what I would pay for it.

In situations where I just can't narrow down the "market" on stuff, I have listed it on Gunbroker, with a low starting price, but with a reserve that prevents it from selling below what I really want for it. That's inviting bids, and when if I see that my reserve is too high, after a while I may change the listing to a reasonable starting price, with a buy me now price, and set no reserve. That way, I generally know about what it's worth, and it will sell that way. I rarely list that way, because I hate it when others do that, but it's the best way I know to really get market price for it.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
put an AB barrel on it in 458, rechamber for 458AR, and drop in a fajen stock .. header/exhaust paint!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote