THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Custom P14's in .505 Gibbs, .450 Rigby and .416 Rigby

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom P14's in .505 Gibbs, .450 Rigby and .416 Rigby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just thought I'd post a few pictures of my friend Paul's rifles all built on customized P-14 actions. The work on the .505 & the .450 was done entirely by Jim Wisner over a period of time. The .450 Rigby barrelled action was just completed so we thought it time to post some inspirational pictures. I particularly like the way these qtr ribs were done. All have been converted to M-70 style 3-pos safeties. The .505 Gibbs also has a bellied / pocket floorplate and is quite an experience just to hold and sight down those open QR scope rings - Man O' Man! Comments? Smiler

I've cropped and reduced these photos a bit, so hoping these will work for most here, but still might need more reduction for dialup users.

The trio - .505 Gibbs, .416 Rigby, .450 Rigby (top -> btm)...
P14 trio
.505 Gibbs (top) & .450 Rigby...
.505 Gibbs top & .450 Rigby btm
The .505 Gibbs
JWisner built .505 Gibbs
.505 Gibbs & .450 Rigby Left...
Barreled actions left side

Posts: 331 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll ping Jim and see if we can get some comments on these buildups Smiler
JP

one of us
posted Hide Post
Those barrelled actions are very nice, can't wait to see the finished projects. How long to completion of the trio?

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why oh why oh why didn't I hang on to those 1917 Winchester actions I paid $25.00 apiece for many many years ago!!! Mad

The work you are showing is exquisite.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Very very nice. Enfield actions make a beautiful rifle but require lots of work.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are very nice. Lots of work was put into those.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aristotle reminds us that there are "goods of first and second intent"...that is some things are good/beautiful because they are useful, others are good/beautiful because they are both useful for their intended purpose AND are in and of themselves beautiful...these barreled actions are BOTH...such nice work on actions that are, indeed, the right size for the purpose...now imagine that it cost $3000 for each...when the price of a GM, Vecktor, etc., is in the $2500 + barrel + clean-up work...these three are even more of a good thing...congratulations are in order!!! (It is too bad that there are not many 'smiths left who can do this quality work...) Arthur

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
My oh my. Lots of work is an understatement, those actions have certainly had an "Extreme Makeover". The whole package is very impressive. Wisner did some magic on those.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pfiefer, Are the rear tang screw straight on Wisners bottom metal, and the rear tang retaped staight?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GSP7,
I believe that is correct but will defer to Jim or Paul's answer.
JP

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
very very nice...

the quarterribs are well executed
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is eye candy.

As time permits I will go thru the details of these rifles.

You have to remember that this started out as a rework on the 416 and evolved into a trio. The hard part was then to keep the 1/4 ribs the same shape and have them all look the same as posible over the long haul.

Time wise.
The 416 was worked in 1999
The 505 was worked on from Jan 2000 to Jan 2002
The 450 was worked on from March 2002 to May 2005.

The 505 and 450 are built on Remington P14 actions that I had on hand at the time.
The 416, had several people work on it before I did the final feeding work and 1/4 rib.

These all use an 4 shot drop tigger guard that I designed and made, with an Obendorf size bow. The 505 has an Rigby type pocket floor plate. These will hold 4 rounds in the Magazine and then one in the chamber. A new Mauser type follower was made and a heavy magazine spring was also used. These were machined from 1018 bar stock, the bow is silvered soldered onto the frame.

The rear guard screw hole is still the military 4 degree angle. It really makes no sense to change it, then you have to rework the trigger and guard and handle to get them all to work together. New guard screws were made from 4140 steel, with a .030 wide slot. A Timney sportsman trigger is used in all three of these rifles.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
You really made a beautiful trio. I dont think I have ever seen P14's look so nice.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At one time in the early 90's I had 23 different Enfield action we converted to these big boys. Set up an production line to do the machine work on the rails etc. This was long time before Grantite or Vector was even dreamed about.

The Action work.
The rear bridge was remachined to remove the rear sight and cleaned up. A steel plug was machined and the plug welded into the rear bridge to fill the birdbath. At the same time the old rear sight screw hole was welded up. It was machined to a Rem M700 raduis on the top and an wider radius on the sides to allow the wider scope base to blend in.

The military safety was removed and the side machined out so it could be welded up into an more pleasing shape. It was aslo left lower and built up for an safety lug. Most of them had the top of the rear guard screw hole welded up to make them blind.

The bolt stop lug was built up in the rear to alow more pressure from the bolt stop spring. A new Mauser shaped bolt stop was made and fitted to these actions.

The front ring was trued, so many of these are out of round since the were machined on an Hortz mill. As well as the LH side of the reciever trued to centerline. This also let us define the step from the front ring to the side wall. The ejecton port in the rear was cleaned up to alow the long cartidges to be loaded into the magazine.

The bolt handle was replaced with a copy of the Obendorf handle. Straight down with an low root to clear a scope.

The M70 three position safety has a gas flange on the LH side. A new cocking piece that fits the safety and speedlocked the bolt was made. They now cock on opening.

A new long extractor with an thick M70 type hook was made and fitted to the action. The bolt face was opened up and moved to the rear slightly. This allows for the thicker rim of these cases while leaving the thick extractor hook intact.

The rails were machined to fit the guards and hand fitted to properly allow the cases to work thru the rails with out any problems.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrels.

The 450 has a Shilen barrel with a muzzle dia of .850
The 505 has a McGowen barrel with a muzzle dia of .900
All three are 23 inches in length
All three have my band ramp front sight with a Europeon brass front bead of 1/8" dia.
The hood is held in place with a spring loaded plunger.
The 1/4 ribs were machined from bar stock to fit each barrel. There is three #6 screws under the rear sight to hold the rib on. Also there is two hardened 1/8" dowel pins for recoil and alignment. The rear sight the customer supplied, it is a NECG one standing blade and three folding blade. The extra recoil lug is an copy of the Win M70 458 lug. It is silver soldered on to the barrel. Then tapped for a #10 screw for an hold down.

The scope mounts are the Magnum type I used to make. They are the Brno 19mm size dovetails with Kimber/Brownell type levers and clamps. The bases are held on with two #8 screws, then the bases have double recoil shoulders to prevent the scope rings from moving.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wisner,

I understand you went through some business reorganizing fairly recently and have changed the scope of your business a little.

That said, I'm very glad that you are still able to do gunsmithing. It would be a shame and a loss for the rest of us to loose the knowledge held by someone such as yourself. Further, I imagine you enjoy it and frankly you're good at it.

Those are beautiful rifles! Whoever owns them is a lucky guy. I hope you're able to show us somemore more works of art soon.

Do you have anymore rifles in the works currently?

Tex

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote