New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going from five down to four down
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What must be done to go from five down to four down in an unaltered Mauser 98,chamber 8x57? Thanks for your help.

Posts: 132 | Location: Kenai Peninsula,Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Just put 4 in the magazine. rotflmo

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish to slim down the rifle.

Posts: 132 | Location: Kenai Peninsula,Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish to slim down the rifle

Sorry I couldn't resist.

You wanting to slim side to side or top to bottom. If you do it side to side you risk messing up the layout of the mag box. Which just happens to be set up for the 57 case.

I've made a number blind box and simply made the box a touch shallower

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What did you use to line the blind box.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Blind box will work but it won't be any thinner; a thin piece of steel (floorplate) is thinner than the wood you need to leave; just remove some from the top of the mag box, shorten your screws, and hardest; shorten your trigger. On a mil trigger; cut and re-weld. On a Timney; you are SOL. Depending on how thin you want it.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
What did you use to line the blind box

Nothing fancy. At the time I had a box full of the old 98 guards that had the sheet metal mag box attached. I simply cut the box off. Bedded the bottom in epoxy as well an bedding in a groove to catch and hold the follower spring.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remove how much from the top of the box?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remove how much from the top of the magazine?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Remove however much you want the rifle to be thinner; You are the one who wants it thinner. Start at .1 and see how you like it. If you want more, remove more. Remember your trigger....

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Guys, I think he wants to know how much he can remove and still get 4 down. In other words, the max he can thin the box(therefore stock) and still have 4 down.

David L Westbrook was the king of this modification and he posts here, so I would ask him.

My guess is that the number he will give you is real close to .400" for the back of the box. The front might be a bit less.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
.250 is the max; remember you to be able to push the top round down to let the bolt close, and remember that Mausers are not designed to feed directly into the chamber so depending on your extractor that might not work anyway. I will make one up this afternoon so you can see. And, a Timney trigger body would extend below the guard so that won't work; have to alter a mil one. . Your guard screw threads will be short and you will have to plan for that. Assuming you want the angle of the forearm same as factory, I will cut the box equally front and rear.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Better sneak up on .2; here is one I did, taking about .180 off and it works fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting numbers. I had thought that the number should be about 0.233 or about one half the diameter of the case, but I am not skilled in these matters and hoped to have more experienced persons respond. So again, thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JBrown
Thank you for clarifying my poorly worded question.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dfcjr:
JBrown
Thank you for clarifying my poorly worded question.

No problem. Oh, and my .400 number was actually to get just three down. Someone posted a couple of rifles that he had done this way sometime back.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell me about the stock you have it in now. If it is a aftermarket type, the dimensions are usually beefy. Look at those old original Mauser sporters. They had elegantly thin stocks. Nicely tapered around the mag box to allow a full hand grip.

quote:
Originally posted by dfcjr:
I wish to slim down the rifle.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
They had elegantly thin stocks. Nicely tapered around the mag box to allow a full hand grip.

Got a couple like that in the basement.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently cut a custom box magazine box down because it extended below a particular patterns stock that had a very thin profile..I used a file on the top of the box and kept a close eye on the small gap between the action and wood, having to torq the action up every so often as the gap is different torqed than just fitted up loose so to speak.. Go slow and there is a slight pucker factor involved..but it turned out great.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote