Find
Notify
Tools

Help*Stockmaker*Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
I am looking to have a stock made for a Montana 1999 short action that will resemble the bottom Westley Richards rifle.

Can you please help me find someone who can work with a 2.2" blanks in the below pattern, and have a 15" LOP to a metal buttplate?

Please, lets not waste space on here discussing the merits of Muasers vs. Montanas vs. Pre-64 vs. CZ vs. Sako...I already have a 1999 on the way.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
anyone got this pattern?

MIGHT could be made from a gag lot's of drop gody pattern.. might not

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I would love to build a rifle on that pattern myself! thumb

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try Toby Leeds.
http://gunshop.com/leeds.htm.

Paul

Posts: 77 | Location: Pulaski, WI | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GAG's British stalker pattern will be pretty close. More straighter comb though.

I copyed this from a previous post . This is TC1's rifle that he posted.

Its a GAG British stalker

Id have Henry leave more wood behing the grip on the toe line so the line would intersect the rear guard screw head. Just my idea.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the above pattern with just an RCH less drop would be about perfect.

I really like the line of the foreend from the magazine box forward.

If you find a similar pattern stock anywhere, please let me know.

Thanks,

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think Henry Pohl @ Great American Gunstocks can do what you need. I just talked with him yesterday for a inletted and shaped stock for my Husqvarna/Smith & Wesson Model A(Husqvarna Model 1900 action)and this is the style gunstock we selected(not this fancy of wood however).

Ol' John

Well, this forum is not image helpful for me. So go to his website ... www.gunstock.com and look at the images of finished rifles. The one I am talking about is left side 3rd image down and the one just to the right of it. Might be pretty close to what you want.

Posts: 22 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
John

Check your link :-) like skiing.

Here's GAG

http://www.gunstocks.com/

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pohl @ Great American Gunstocks can do what you need

I have read mixed reviews! What about thier performance if a customer sends in thier barreled action for fitting? British Stalker or British Express Classic? The rifle will have functional, and often used open sights, as well as, a scope mounted in square bridges in Talley rings. Psst, I have big cheek bones too.

LAWNDART----RCH---hahaha...my wife is a redhead!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about thier performance if a customer sends in thier barreled action for fitting? British Stalker or British Express Classic

I believe the picture above is a rifle GAG finished, If not it is in this thread.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../533103643#533103643

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
rifle GAG finished

I like the looks of the rifle a lot. It appears a little thicker in the wrist than what I want, but that might be the difference between 375 H&H and a smaller caliber like I will be using. It is amazing how much money it costs me to be taller than everyone else. The extra cost to get 15" LOP to a metal buttplate is a lot! I will check with GAG again.

How many stockmakers do they have in thier shop?
And was that stock an Express or Stalker? The webpage shows a different cheeckpiece for the stalker?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can file the wrist thinner and shape the wood alittle in the grip, and file down that shaped section on the sides ahead of the grip so the sides around the reciever are slimmer.

GAG's are alittle "fat" and you can slim them down quit abit. Alot of the finished GAGs I have seen could have been slimmed down with a file quiet abit more .

Those pix are of the Stalker. I think they will make you a pancake cheek piece if you want that.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Both the rifle pictured and the one linked came out of the GAG garbage can (bargin bin) were they all seem to obtain the name "Classic".
I'm really not sure what the Winchester stock is, but the Whitworth is unmistakably a British Express Classic.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry , How do those 2 rifles stocks of yours compare? Is your whiteworth stock more beefier than the winchester?

It says on their web site the Express has a lower comb than the stalker.

From the stock styles pictures on GAGs website they all look the same. There must be some differences when you have them in your hand...

Rick

I know the British stocker classis is supposed to have a longer grip than their Gary Goudy Classic.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i am of two minds with gag.

if they finish the stock, it's generally a good job, but it's not to your spec, if you are a stocker

if they supply the "stock" it's a pattern to me, as they don't do so good all the time to the general public

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Terry , How do those 2 rifles stocks of yours compare? Is your whiteworth stock more beefier than the winchester?

It says on their web site the Express has a lower comb than the stalker.

From the stock styles pictures on GAGs website they all look the same. There must be some differences when you have them in your hand...

Rick

I know the British stocker classis is supposed to have a longer grip than their Gary Goudy Classic.

The Whitworth stock is actually a little more petite than the Winchester. I think two different people shaped the stocks. These stocks have a lot of extra wood on them and need a lot of shaping when they come out of the duplicator. I think that's were a lot of the problems and complaints come from with people using the rough turned stocks. There is a nice stock under all that wood, you just have to dig it out.

When I bought the Winchester stock I had fully planned to do all the work myself (checking excluded) but when it arrived and I dropped the barreled action in the stock the inletting was so crocked the barrel missed the forearm. I called Henry and told him that's why the stock had been returned to begin with as it was unsalvageable. He kept insisting it was ok and finally told me just to send it and the barreled action to him and he would prove it to me. About a week after he had it he called and said it was fixed and just needed a little more off one side than the other. He said there were no gaps and wanted to know if there was anything else I wanted done to it while he had it. I told him to go ahead and shape and sand it. When I got it back all it needed was just a little minor finish sanding and then the finished applied. After that it went to Sherry Abraham for checkering. All in all it's probably a better job than I could have done, but looking at it now I wish I would have slimmed up the forearm a little more and rounded the tip a little better.

On the Whitworth stock I was working 70hr weeks at the time and just sent GAG all the parts and told them to do everything and send me a bill. Everything turned out nice on this one. It's proportionately correct and somebody at GAG can checker better than Sherry.

Both of these stocks are very nice. Not on the level of a custom stock maker, but they aren't priced that way either. I think they both fit in with the level of craftsmanship of the metal work on my rifles perfectly. I'm in the middle of having a really nice rifle built right now. Mark Stratton did the metal work and Chic Worthington has agreed to build a stock for it. It'll be my 1st really nice rifle and while I'm sure I'll take it hunting, it'll only go out on nice day's and when I'll be returning home that night night. These GAG stocked rifles get hunted! I don't own a composit stocked or S/S rifle and have no apprehension about taking these out on any hunting trip in any condition.

The only differences I really see in these stocks are things like drop and cheek piece design. It even say's somewhere on his website all the designs are variations of the G&H stock. Of course a lot has to do with how the stock is shaped and even checkered. I told Sherry to bring the grip checkering up high on the Winchester stock to exaggerate the grip.

I just ordered another one about a month ago. It's for a little Mini-Mauser. It'll have a nice little schnable forend tip and skeleton grip cap and butt plate. We'll just have to see how it turns out.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what our moderator said.

when they finish it it is a good job, but to their own liking. semi inlets are patterns so buy a utility grade to have your own wood turned.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
If you use a GAG as a pattern you're just going end up with another stock just like the one you already have Confused Unless you're willing to pay someone to do a 1 to 1 for you and if that's the case why would you use a GAG pattern anyway? I dunno, it would just seem to add another step to the process and return nothing for it.

Terry

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
If you use a GAG as a pattern you're just going end up with another stock just like the one you already have Confused Unless you're willing to pay someone to do a 1 to 1 for you and if that's the case why would you use a GAG pattern anyway? I dunno, it would just seem to add another step to the process and return nothing for it.

Terry

really? the pattern was a POS with a couple big checks and a classic cheek piece...

then again, i gots a duplicator!!

476AR,

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

really? the pattern was a POS with a couple big checks and a classic cheek piece...

then again, i gots a duplicator!!

Owning your own duplicater never hurt's does it? Big Grin In your case it makes sence to have a few patterns on hand, but for the rest of us I just don't think it does.

Here's the point I was trying to make. You buy one of these stocks. You spend untold hours chiseling, sanding and shaping it. remove 1/8"-1/4" of wood from the thing to get it the right shape and send it off with $150.00 or more plus shipping both ways and have it duplicated just so you can do the whole thing over again Confused makes no sence to me.
What am I missing here? If the check marks are too deep, just send it back and tell him to cut you another one.

Now I've only talked with 2 people that had the ability to do 1-to-1 duplications and both of them had a lot of different patterns to choose from already. Probably better than anything you'd get from GAG.

I'm not trying to make them out to be anything other than what they are. You're not going to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post

Dennis Olson has several Westley Richards patterns. Check with him.

BTW, he also works on a lot of 1999 actions since they're sold just up the road from him.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idared, Can you run over to Dennis's shop and take some pictures of his patterns and come back here and post them?? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I have a pix of one of Olsens patterns . I will try and post it later. Photo bucket is down right now

Rick

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dennis Olson has several Westley Richards patterns. Check with him.

BTW, he also works on a lot of 1999 actions since they're sold just up the road from him.

Idared---

Very helpful. Can you supply the contact information? That might just be the perfect person for the work!

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Dennis Olson
500 W 1st St.,
Plains, MT 59859
(406) 826-3790

GSP7

Next time I'm over there I'll ask him if he minds if I take some pics of them. All the ones he has done for me were using my Brother or my patterns. I hope to get over there sometime in the next 30 days, hopefully in the next two weeks.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I would really appreciate a picture of the pattern similar to the above rifle! I am very interested. If you have pictures of stocks he has done for you I would love to see them too.

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
I think you could use one of the Midway Fajen stocks as a starter for a pattern. The top pattern from one of Idared's guns was created from a Midway stock. A little modification could develop the WR stock.

I believe the Midway's were all Mauser stocks however.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grandview, as much as I appreciate your input.....and I do!
The grip curve, angle of the grip cap, grip to comb transition, comb nose and height of the stock toeline to comb just behind the cap, are all wrong on the example you presented. Could you get there from here...maybe?
IMHO, it would take a very experienced stocker to replicate the example shown. It is exactly these subtleties, and the combination of them, that make the WR stock so enviable.
SDH

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1823 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have read mixed reviews! What about thier performance if a customer sends in thier barreled action for fitting? British Stalker or British Express Classic? The rifle will have functional, and often used open sights, as well as, a scope mounted in square bridges in Talley rings.

Still wondering about above.

Also, does Dennis Olson have a website?

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
Grandview, as much as I appreciate your input.....and I do!
The grip curve, angle of the grip cap, grip to comb transition, comb nose and height of the stock toeline to comb just behind the cap, are all wrong on the example you presented. Could you get there from here...maybe?
IMHO, it would take a very experienced stocker to replicate the example shown. It is exactly these subtleties, and the combination of them, that make the WR stock so enviable.

Yeah......the pattern I showed wasn't that good an idea. I was attempting to show that the club from Midway could be shaped to something acceptable.

I still think it could be modified.....for those who are familiar with it. It's pretty clubby through the action tang areas, but much of the butt is usable. I did some scaling, measuring, and drawing......and a bit of judicious "fill" could yield a pattern. I think. Perhaps I'll give it a try......I have a couple of those Midways left.

GV

one of us
posted Hide Post
333OKH,

Where did you find that picture up top of that Westly Richards?

I would love to lok at some more of that same gun.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
quote:
I have read mixed reviews! What about thier performance if a customer sends in thier barreled action for fitting? British Stalker or British Express Classic? The rifle will have functional, and often used open sights, as well as, a scope mounted in square bridges in Talley rings.

The stalker and the express are for different guns.... i don't THINK they do a 98 on the stalker.

of the 2, the product you'll get from gag will be smaller (and better) in the stalker.

If i remember, I'll go get a midway euro fajan, a gag stalker and a gag express and lay them out and take pictures for you...
it would be tomorrow night, or sunday.... send me a PM sunday if I haven't gotten around tuit.

jeffe

Still wondering about above.

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
333OKH,

Where did you find that picture up top of that Westly Richards?

I would love to lok at some more of that same gun.

LD

Looks like it is from the Westley Richards site - http://www.westleyrichards.com/img/splash/2_new_build_1bolt.jpg

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Stu is correct for the location of the picture. Best way to tell where they come from is to center your pointer on the picture here at AR and right click and go to properties. This will show the weblink to the picture.

I would love to have a similar looking rifle, but I cannot spend the 16,000 it would take to get what I want.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Grandview, Did you buy up all those Fajen stocks that midway had? They dont have anymore I will guess fajen doesnt make them anymore ...

Rick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job Grandview, now I know you can see the lines! and it make a good exmple of how much they differ.

If you could just teach me how you draw on the photo??? I'd love to know how to draw on an image. Everytime I do that I'm left with sticky grease pencil marks on my computor screen.

Seriously, I didn't consider adding wood to that stock, yes a pattern could be made from that one, if one had the visual acuity you do, and the techinical skills I know you have.
I rarely make that many alterations to a machined stock prefering to start from an inletted blank.
SDH

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1823 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Grandview, Did you buy up all those Fajen stocks that midway had? They dont have anymore I will guess fajen doesnt make them anymore ...

Rick

Heh Heh.....

Idared and I bought some a couple years back (along with several other people) when they had a "blow out" sale of the stock and a set of those cheapie checkered steel butt plates and grip caps. Something like $30 for the package?

They were all Mausers, and frankly probably not much use for anything except patterns. For that they can be decent. They have a bit of cast-off and toe-out, and are milled for a steel butt plate of around 13.5" lop. The action area has panels, but they're rather large and improperly placed. The forearm is very slender with a hint of a schnabble.

I prefer them to anything I've seen lately from GAG for making patterns.

GV

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
Seriously, I didn't consider adding wood to that stock, yes a pattern could be made from that one.....
I rarely make that many alterations to a machined stock prefering to start from an inletted blank.

I'd be the first to agree that shaping a blank might be the preferred method. It's a blank canvas, and absolutely requires that the finished product dimensions are firmly established and drawn ahead of time.

For the "basement tinkerer"....and I firmly put myself in that camp....making a pattern and having it machined on our budget-allowed blank is a security blanket. Hopefully our mistakes are confined to the pattern........before the blank is sent to be machined. Smiler

I still think it's wise to make full-size drawings. I follow that exercise regardless if making a pattern or shaping a semi-inlet.

I've found a paste epoxy that works will for building up areas on a pattern. It files and sands well, and is durable in the duplicator.

Specific to this thread, there is an excellent article in an issue of Rifle magazine (Number 87, May-June 1983) on this stock treatment. The open grip "British" look. Good pictures and discussion of some of our established American gunmakers that incorporated it in their stocks. Monte Mandarino, Jerry Fisher, Mark Silver, George Hoenig, etc...

It's a nice study in the subtleties that each used for grip cap angle, placement of cheek piece, etc....

Sidebar:
The magazine came out at the same time I attended Phil Pilkington's custom gun class in 1983. Several of us were rather enamored with the stocks in that article. Phil, firmly entrenched in the Biesen/Goens "American Classic" style, was less than impressed. Much to our chagrin.

GV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really nice job, GV-

Makes me feel like a rank amateur, which is about right.

Do you use French curves?

Also, I'd be grateful if you chose to share the brand of paste epoxy.

Thanks,

flaco

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im makeing a pattern right now. Alot of repeative work. Im useing Bondo Fiberglass Gel, just run over to auto zone.
It sets up real fast, you have about 2 or 3 minutes before it starts going off. It works pretty good, files easy. Im useing alot of masking tape,Credit cards for spreaders work good( safe those samples you get in the mail), car wax, some clay in the bottom metal voids, Laquer thinner to wipe the wax away before each application. Bedding the action and bottom takes several steps each.

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, Dennis considers website and e-mail to be swear words. Sometimes his Wife will print off e-mail for him but he doesn't like doing business that way. He considers the internet to be a less than desireable place to discuss things.