THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preferred standard and dual dovetail bases?
 Login/Join

<rigfer>
posted
What are the preferred standard and dual dovetail bases? Weight, style, finish, strength, material strength, rusting...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a number of dual dovetails on my rifles. They are hell-for-stout, fool-proof (nothing to loosen), good-looking (IMO) and weigh about the same as the STD's. I guess the only downside is there is no windage adjustability, but I have never needed it. They are definately my preferred non-detachable mount. I only wish they made them for my Mauser actioned rifles.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since LEUPOLD came out with the DDT, I find it hard to use any other set-up. I have a couple of Warne base/ring sets that are not QR, and they are working well also.

In my experience, I don't think that you could do better, only different and more expensive.

SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Cossack>
posted
Granted, dovetail rings are strong and clean looking. Some of my Contender setups
require the scope to be more forward than double dovetails allow without using extension rings. That's when Weaver base and Burris Z rings really shine. And the Signature Z rings have inserts that can compensate for vertical or horizontal allignment problems.