New
Find
Notify
Tools

BLR .358 win to 350 Rem mag conversion?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just picked up a nice older pre-81 BLR in .358. I'm going to give it a whirl and see how it shoots and how I like it before I decided to do anything, but I've got a bolt 350 rem mag and really like that cartridge... Is the .358 close enough in the real world to not worry about the difference?

Is it possible to convert it to a 350 mag? I know they have offered BLRs in magnum calibers...

Appreciate any opinions or suggestions

Posts: 139 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting a BLR to feed belted magnum cases would be the biggest concern, rebore/rechamber would be a piece of cake.

Posts: 412 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Now, when did the BLR go to the chrome lined, reamer eating, chambers?

coffee Yeah, that little problem. A carbide 350 Rem Mag reamer would be a lot of bux.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I doubt you could get the .350 into the BLR magazine, so plan on a single shot at the most.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great input guys. I'll check the mag and see. Might be the constraint since its a single stack design.

Posts: 139 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
(btw, 358 win is actually one of my fav carts, so take that into consideration)

let me be danny downer here...

let me be VERY blunt -- no way, on god's green earth, will a 350 work in a pre, or 81, ever - the magnums are different size actions

and, unless it's just a horribly abused rifle, its value will go from 6-800 to zero ---

it will shoot most decent handloads under 1.5", and sierra gamekings 225s right at an inch,, it will likely hate hornady RNs

and me, the recoil sponge, would quickly develop a flinch from crushed fingers with a remmag snappy recoil ...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got one pre-81 in 358. It won't work with a 350 mag IMO. They are pretty simple to re-barrel, I made a 250 Savage out of a 308 without any issue, but you'll have to stick with a standard bolt face. Oh, and that old 358 BLR shoots so good I won't mess with it even though it's a little rough. It was an old timers woods gun fron the U.P. MI. Had some thoughtfull modifications such as a sling swivel machined on the screw spacer at the end of the for end, and the magazine was cut off flush with the receiver and re-welded. It now only holds 2 rounds but carries much better. Makes for an extremely trim handy rifle for the north woods.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I've owned two BLRs in .358 and both shot under an inch. Can't think f and reason to change that.

John Farner

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
If you want more bang from your 358, sell your BLR, buy another in 06 and have it punched out to 35 Whelen. That would be a more viable option than trying to retro one into a 350 RM.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about getting one in .300 Winchester and have it rebored/rebarelled to .358 Norma?

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I hear, the takedown versions can be re-barreled by using the barrel nut off the existing barrel. They make that in WSM cartridges so if you picked up one of the WSM takedown BLR's, you should be able to rebarrel that to the 350 mag...I think...

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Tribe has spoken here...

Going to keep it a .358 and see how I like it

Appreciate all the opinions and suggestions

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
From what I hear, the takedown versions can be re-barreled by using the barrel nut off the existing barrel. They make that in WSM cartridges so if you picked up one of the WSM takedown BLR's, you should be able to rebarrel that to the 350 mag...I think...

quote:
Originally posted by 7fa:
older pre-81 BLR in .358.

made well pre-wsm c2000

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Good decision. You will love the lever 358 as a Hunting partner. Go to the woods. Take a lunch. Bring back an everlasting smile.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
If you want more bang from your 358, sell your BLR, buy another in 06 and have it punched out to 35 Whelen. That would be a more viable option than trying to retro one into a 350 RM.

I have to mention here that I did that some years ago, 30.06 to .35 Whelen and those LA BLR's handle like a fence pole.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Yeah., I was surprised when Browning came out with the long actions; sort of defeated the whole idea of a fast-handling, light field gun.

John Farner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would leave it alone...358 Win isn't all that bad in and of itself and will handle ALL N.A. game. If you want something different, do as suggested...sell it...Browning's never stay long in any of the stores even in my small town.

If you want lotsa bang for your buck find a 450 Marlin...Mine feeds great, shoots great and I can use pointy bullets for better long range(relatively speaking for a 45 cal) ballistics.

If you want to mess about with re-barrel, rechamber/rebore find a takedown.

You might also look at the 35 WSM wildcat or try the 350 RM in a 450 M clip to see if it feeds. At least with a take down you can rechamber/rebore relatively simply, and the clips are relatively interchangeable within reason.

Personally speaking...my 450M has the screw on barrel and EVERYONE I talked to about re-barreling or modifying said don't even try it...if you want to futz around get a take down model...Browning didn't intend their rifles to be messed with in ANY way by ANYONE except factory trained personnel AT THEIR FAFCTORY.!!!!

I tried several gunsmiths that supposedly did Browning work but none would do barrel mods on my LT WT 81...i bought it because I wanted to do a 416 WSM but the 450 M mag is actually too short to get maximum case volume with the longer 416 cal bullets. Then I thought to do a 45 WSM(450 Yukon) but NO ONE would touch the rifle, not even the factory...I'm a wildcatter but this BLR isn't getting any fancy treatment and doesn't need any anyhow, it's just fine stock. tu2 Big Grin

You might contact Browning to see just what they can/will do.

Luck beer

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I would not bother. The Rem 350 with deep seated bullets was a compromise.

I presume this will be just one of many fun rifles and not really a go-to rifle. So I would just enjoy it.

I would stick to the GREAT 358 Win! I would use Sierra 225 gr GKBT bullets and kill any elk sized animal that walked within 200 meter and possibly 250 meters. Bullet choice is the key. I would not use the old Hornady 200 RN & 250 gr bullets in this caliber.

You could try TSX 200 gr bullets for longer ranges. I have not used them in this cartridge

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11250 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like I've seen a 7mm rem mag chambered BLR, at least in a catalog?

Think if you got a .358win you're pretty close to .350rem mag anyway. Now an SAUM or WSM, even an RCM would be interesting...

The .358win lever guns are much in demand by cast boolit shooters. If there is a magnum series BLR, the .375/.416 Ruger case should fit just fine, just need to re-chamber. Might be a great candidate for a switchbarrel...

The .375 Ruger has a lot to offer in any standard length receiver.

posted Hide Post
Load a box or 2 of 250 grain bullets with loads worked up to maximum. Given them a chance to make an impression on you. You will swear a .375 H&H with 270 grain bullets kicks less.