New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is best bore cleaner?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have seen ads and reviews of new bore cleaners and if there are any new wonder products out there that work, what are your favorites ?

NRA Life member

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trenton
posted Hide Post
The best bore cleaner I have seen, is myself... rotflmo Can't get the wife to do it.... Seriously, some of my favorites, are J.B. (used it for years) Sweet's, Barnes, Shooter's Choice & Butch's.
I have found it is not neccesarily the bore cleaner that work's, but, is the technique implemented and how anal you wanna be in cleaning your bore.

Posts: 45 | Location: Oregon for now... | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the best Bore-Cleaner?...the one that gives YOU acceptable results. Try a bunch of them out and pick the one that suits you.

Personally, I make my own...but that’s just because I like to. The stuff I make works great for me and that’s pretty much all I care about.

Some guys like the supposed ease of the foams...others will swear by exotic combo’s and procedures using JB, Sweet’s, Shooters Choice, carburetor cleaner, transmission fluid, household ammonia, etc, etc.

A good cleaning rod, good jags and brushes, and a bore guide are far more important (IMO) than what specific product you use.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
WipeOut

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WipeOut is absolutely the best.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My own. For a gal. mix 2 sweets, 1 Kroil, and the rest is GM Top Engine Cleaner. I use about a gal. a year on my bench and hunting guns. I have a quality bore scope and a close friend[BillHull] that is part owner of Shilen and runs the barrel shop. He inspects my barrels from time to time and lets me know what I am doing is correct. I do use a high dollar rod guide{TK Bore Saver} and I use good quality brass bore brushes.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
I have reacently started using Barnes CR-10 for the initial pass through, then I use a brass brush followed by Wipeout. Honestly you really would only need wipeout, but I like to get it done fast.

Wipeout is honestly the best stuff I have ever seen. It's non-corrosive and it has no amonia too Smiler

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wipeout is great for a barrel if time is not a problem. When we shoot we reload after each group and clean. We do not have time for Wipeout to work at a match.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a firm beleiver in WIPE-OUT-the only drawback is having to leave it in the bore for at least 3 hrs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can clean, check, and put away a whole bunch of rifles in the time it takes wipe out to work on just one...and I don’t have to make time the next day to finish up the job.

I’ve just never found cleaning a rifle in the traditional manner to be all that time consuming or such a bother.

Your milage may vary! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wipe-Out and JB Bore Paste at home. I've never left Wipe-Out in for 3 hours. I do 1 pass for 10-15 minutes, a second for 30minutes to an hour (or whatever is convenient) and then finish with JB's bore paste or bore bright. Gets them sparkly clean with no copper.
While at the range is a different discussion.............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Wipe out is my prefered cleaner. I do use Rem clean for heavy leading in my handguns though.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious...is cleaning just the bore the extent of what most people do when cleaning their rifles?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I at least always clean the boltface and lugs and put a dab of grease on the lugs-since none of my rifles that I use the most were made after 1949 my barrells aren't hand-lapped customs so they probably copper foul more than some-therefore WIPE-OUT does a better job on MY guns than anything I have used

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Wipe Out. Works for me and less chance of damaging gun, IMO.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Wipe Out. thumb

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 300 H-H:
I at least always clean the boltface and lugs and put a dab of grease on the lugs-since none of my rifles that I use the most were made after 1949 my barrells aren't hand-lapped customs so they probably copper foul more than some-therefore WIPE-OUT does a better job on MY guns than anything I have used

I’ve never said, and haven’t heard anyone else say, that Wipe-Out isn’t a good product that works very well at cleaning a barrel. My only question is the supposed time savings in using it. I’ve tried it, and unless I’m doing something really different it doesn’t seem to be the least bit more convenient to use than regular old solvent on a brush and patch.

Whether or not it cleans a bore any “better†than other products seems to be a pretty individual thing and everyone has their own opinions and experiences.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a bottle of Montana Extreme and it seems to work well. It is much more productive if you can let it sit for 15-45 minutes. It seems to work well in a rush too you just have to use more elbow grease.

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
If you have the time.......Wipeout. There isn't even a close second in my opinion, and I've used them all.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick0311, After you clean one of your rifles with your quick brush and patch method, take a Q-Tip and stick it about 1/4" into the muzzle end of your rifle and shine a flashlight on it. The reflection off of the white Q-Tip will quickly show you if there are any copper streaks still left in your barrel.
Maybe your method works well for copper, but with every de-coppering method I ever tried save for the Wipe-Out and JB's method every barrel I cleaned the old way would show copper streaks. They looked clean and shiny when seen from the front and rear the old way, but if you put something reflective in the bore where you could really see it copper shows. Match barrels carefully broken in wouldn't copper up and cleaned much better, but normal rifle barrels didn't.
Check it out with a flashlight and Q-Tip and let us know what you see.................DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butchlambert, You mix sweets, kroil and GM top cleaner together? Id be scared it might explode! Eeker Eeker Eeker Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

DJ Ive used the Qtip or tooth pick in the bore with a light and it works good . I have tinny bit of copper left after sweets and JB in a m70 barrel thats fairly new. I havent tryed Wipeout yet.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Rick0311, After you clean one of your rifles with your quick brush and patch method, take a Q-Tip and stick it about 1/4" into the muzzle end of your rifle and shine a flashlight on it. The reflection off of the white Q-Tip will quickly show you if there are any copper streaks still left in your barrel.
Maybe your method works well for copper, but with every de-coppering method I ever tried save for the Wipe-Out and JB's method every barrel I cleaned the old way would show copper streaks. They looked clean and shiny when seen from the front and rear the old way, but if you put something reflective in the bore where you could really see it copper shows. Match barrels carefully broken in wouldn't copper up and cleaned much better, but normal rifle barrels didn't.
Check it out with a flashlight and Q-Tip and let us know what you see.................DJ

Does a Hawkeye bore scope count? I own and use one frequently... I use nothing but Krieger, Shilen and Schenider barrels and none of them require elaborate cleaning methods beyond what I consider to be normal...bore solvent, Sweets or Montana Extreme copper creme, and JB/Kroil on occasion.

Hey, if Wipe-Out works for you that’s great, and maybe they’ll institute a shooting trophy for the cleanest bore in the match sometime! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of brytstar
posted Hide Post
I was amazed to find the amount of foulojng that Wipeout cleared from barrels that I thought to be perfectly clean. I think it is the best!

In politics as in theology! "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, But the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Posts: 200 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JB followed by shooters choice copper remover to check for copper, then finish with shooters choice.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who makes this Wipeout ?
I can not find it in my catalogs.

NRA Life member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn’t it be funny to find out that wipe out actually has an ingredient that reacts with the material in cleaning patches to produce a dark blueish substance until all the wipe out is “wiped away?“

rotflmo

Just kidding guys, don’t get your panties all in a bunch over something as silly as cleaning a rifle bore. Whatever works in your rifles is the product you should use.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
SS,

Here's a link to Wipe Out products:
http://www.sharpshootr.com/

For a really fouled barrel on a factory rifle, especially Winchesters which seem to foul more than the other rifles I have, Wipe Out seems to work better. On the other hand, with the one barrel I have from a custom barrel maker (Kreiger) it just doesn't seem to need as much scrubbing and a few passes with Shooters Choice seems to suffice.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:

Does a Hawkeye bore scope count? I own and use one frequently... I use nothing but Krieger, Shilen and Schenider barrels and none of them require elaborate cleaning methods beyond what I consider to be normal...bore solvent, Sweets or Montana Extreme copper creme, and JB/Kroil on occasion.
[/QUOTE]

One of the benefits of using such fine barrels is that they are easier to clean. Usually a good custom barrel will clean up with a few brush strokes and a couple patches, normal rough old factory barrels can be a different story. Maybe Wipe-Out and Q-Tips are best for those of us who can't afford custom barrels for all our rifles and Hawkeye Bore-scopes..... Smiler Smiler.......DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of mil-surp rifles with mil-surp ammo. This wipeout sounds like just the ticket.
Thanks for the link Wink

NRA Life member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, dj!

I’ve said this over and over, but I’ll say it again just for the record. I have never claimed, nor have I ever heard anyone say that Wipe-Out doesn’t work, or that it isn’t a good product.

I just don’t believe that it is the “end-all†cleaning product for all people and all rifles 100% of the time.

What really pissed me off with it was when I first tried it out it spilled out all over my nice oak work bench top that I had just spent days refinishing. It’s amazing how fast that foam fills up a barrel!!! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
The thing that floored me about Wipe -out was the cleanest gun challenge. The guy that sold me my first can said take the WIpe out challenge. Take your cleanest barrel, and fill it with wipe out and wait overnight. See what comes out. I was amazed. Still I think it shot better with just shooters choice and tetra gun oil. Good hunting

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am lucky enough to live close to Huntington's and RCBS, and they seem high on butch's, and it works well and better than Tetra i think. I bought a 22-250 years ago and didn't use anything but ol #9 so when i started cleaning with butch's it took 30 minutes of steady brushing and swabbing before i didn't have copper particles in the cloth.

A Question, what is the opinion of Moly bullets, does it buil-up in a barrel, and is there really nothing to cut/clean it or is this all even an issue.

Posts: 2 | Location: Northern Ca., almost | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brooks henderson:
I am lucky enough to live close to Huntington's and RCBS, and they seem high on butch's, and it works well and better than Tetra i think. I bought a 22-250 years ago and didn't use anything but ol #9 so when i started cleaning with butch's it took 30 minutes of steady brushing and swabbing before i didn't have copper particles in the cloth.

A Question, what is the opinion of Moly bullets, does it buil-up in a barrel, and is there really nothing to cut/clean it or is this all even an issue.

In my opinion Moly-Coated bullets are just another of those silly fads that come and go...and most everyone I know that has tried them has chosen to let them go. Another prime example of a solution desperately seeking a problem, and something that sounded like a good idea at the time! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I think we know that there are some barrels that shoot better with a little fouling, and some are just the opposite. So in some cases, it may be counterproductive to remove ALL that copper color from the tops of the lands.......

I have NEVER found it necessary to remove the very last copper trace from a bore in order to maintain sufficient accuracy for hunting purposes. I am not a benchrest shooter nor a "long-range hunter", so am satisfied with anything close to 1 MOA, either side thereof.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wipeout without a doubt.

The foundation for old age is good memories.

Posts: 15 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've tried a bottle of Hoppe's Elite...on my new 300 RUM. Where was this stuff 25 years ago? WOW, I couldn't get over how fast and how well it worked...went back for a second bottle.

When I first tried it I mopped the bore about 10 times, ran a wet bronze brush up down it a few times then hit it with a wet patch. Ran a couple of patches down the bore wet with carburator cleaner then pushed a tight dry one down...NO copper at all.

I don't know a thing about Wipe Out and have always used Hoppe's Benchrest or Sweets in the past...Not any more...now it's Hoppe's Elite, no smell at all and it's FAST.

Roy

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always used Shooters Choice. But I like to leave a little copper in so my first shot isn't out in the wind. That works pretty good when hunting.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a really rough,shot the hell out of,and uncared for barrel it ain't going to clean easy.If you are out of shape you are going to make matters worse.So,get a paper and pencil ready to take down what I've got to say.If you find your barrel doesn't clean with shooters choice and JB,or SC and sweets,then throw her away.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yah-I'll be throwing all my pre-64 barrells that all shoot around an inch away-I doubt it-even though they aren't as finely finished as a KREIGER.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Maybe pictures will help...

1) Fill the bore and let soak according to directions ( i let it soak overnight)

2) This is what you see the next morning...

3) The first patch through the bore looks like this...

4) This shows the puddle of copper that dripped out of the barrel and what the fist patch pushed through the bore.

5) This shows the second patch through the bore.

That's why the guys that use Wipe Out reccomend it so much to the guys that don't.

One soaking, one patch, no brushes and the copper is gone.

PS - no ammonia.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947