Find
Notify
Tools

Brownell's Oxpho Blue
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I have used several cold blue formulas over the years and always got the best results from Oxpho. Anyone know of a better cold blue?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16646 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nope

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as a "good" cold blue. It's the same as all of these high powered techno-paints like powder coat, dura-coat, moly-coat, cerra-coat and coaty-coat. 1/2 hour in my solvent tanks and it's stripped-off-coat or mushy-coat. I'm getting dishpan hands from washing those guns in soap and water. I'm thinking of buying a fawking dishwasher for all the plastic and war-painted gurly guns that come in.

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the oxpho blue for small parts but it certainly doesn't work well for larger parts. It has it's place and I really haven't found anything much better.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What Speer said. Maybe good for a little touch up spot that you can't see. I have used quarts of it over the past 50 years.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used oxpho on machine tool parts I've built with good results. A carriage stop I built for my lathe still looked good after about 20 years of use.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use it for the odd small part, screws, etc. Once, on a dare, I blued an entire rifle with it. It turned out very nice and has now suffered through five hunting seasons in the hands of a slob and it still looks pretty good.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once blued an entire rifle as well. But later I learned to rust blue and found it is easier and produces a much better finish that is extremely long lasting.

www.rustblue.com

quote:
Originally posted by gnoahhh:
I use it for the odd small part, screws, etc. Once, on a dare, I blued an entire rifle with it. It turned out very nice and has now suffered through five hunting seasons in the hands of a slob and it still looks pretty good.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
as far as clod blues go, i think this one is the better product...

the SMELL of cold blue bugs me, after the metal is blued...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39661 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For touch up Oxpho is fine but...A good hot blue is awesome, but not every gunsmith can do a good hot blue. D'Arcy does a hot blue that will blow you away..

I love and old world rust blue, we have spent ions trying to find a metal finish that won't wear, and its been there forever, just look at some of the old Mausers out there or particularly the Brno mod 21s, they all look like new blued metal after all these years, even after the wood has seen its day...

I have done rust blue, but I am sure the best rust bluers are those that practice it daily, it does require some skill..Lots of rust blue these days ends up in a hot tank to match it up I fear..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I have only used the G96 cold blue ...great for touch ups, helps if you warm the part up also!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 different brands of cold blue under the bench, one that blues one part does nothing for the next part. Oxpho works like all the others.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote