THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HVA small ring Mauser: Will a magnum fit???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen:

I have a Husqvarna commercial small ring Mauser action. What grizzly bear killin' magnum can I reasonably fit into this action? I love the '06, and I could certainly stay with that parent case with a .338-06 Imp., for example. But if I decide to go with more potent bear medicine, how much bigger will this action handle? How 'bout a 300 Dakota?

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of those HVA actions were made into H&H based mags, primarily the 7 Rem. and .358 Norma; this is not an ideal situation, IMO, but it was done. It is not really suited to the Dakota rounds as they are "fatter" than the "ouch & ouch" being based on the old .404 Jeffrey case.

Friends of mine have had light .338-06AI rifles made up to carry in Grizzly country while working in geology, forestry, etc.; these rifles proved to be unreliable in feeding and were discarded for that reason. I have an HVA 4100, with Wisner safety, Brown Kevlar stock and steel bottom metal. I intend to get this re-barreled in .338-06 after Xmas and think this the best option for a Grizzly rifle on this action, a .35 Whelen is another viable option.

Power in a rifle used in Grizzly defence is certainly an important consideration, but, absolute reliability is fundamental and the first consideration. I would (and have) packed an old CRF .30-06 instead of a PF .375 H&H for this reason.

Do the .338-06 std or the Whelen, these are the best options, IMHO.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
those calibers that you have listed are danm fine choices, but don't forget the 9.3 x 62. It should fit well in that action and is a real "thumper".

Posts: 792 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jordan.

Belted magnums will fit the HVA small ring, just like kutenay points out. It will handle just about anything a M-98 would.

I have a friend that built a .416 Taylor on a HVA small ring, no problems at all.

Just keep in mind that the HVA small ring doesn´t have the angeled slot in the bolt that pull the extractor harder into the case when extraction is tuff! That mabye is a thing to remember if the rifle is built to be a grizzly stopper.....

Stefan

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
358 winchester

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I appreciate the useful information.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I have a question about the HVA (small ring) action as well. How much modification is required to fit a M98 type adjustable trigger to it? I'm pretty sure it's not a drop in fit. Most of these rifles came with a non-adjustable triggers. Some of the later higher end models came with adjustable triggers. Tradewinds eventually imported some adjustable triggers but these are hard to find now.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt:

Are you asking about something like a Timney? If so, they drop right in. There is another trigger manufacturer out there that makes a drop in for them to [can't recall their name]. The only problem I have run into with the Timney [and the other brand] is that if you try to reduce the stack height of the magazine box [trying to make the rifle more petite], it isn't far before you bottom the trigger housing out against the top of the trigger guard/floor plate.

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think any trigger that will fit a M-98 will fit the smallring HVA. The problem is that the safety is built in with the HVA trigger........

I have seen HVA smallrings with a Timney trigger remade to accsept the HVA safety mekanism.

Another way is to fit a M-70 style safety along with a Timney or similar.

Stefan

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote