New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headspacing a .270
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a prechambered .270 barrel, it's a Stainless steel Kimber fluted 24" in .270 win, I want to use it on a DWM 1908 action I have. I made the measurements and it looked like it would be short chambered a few thousandths. I don't have a .270 reamer, so I put the barrel on, it closes on a factory cartridge with a slight resistance to the bolt. Should I go ahead, and use it like that? Should I get a reamer? Or I was thinking just lap the lugs a little.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the bolt closes on a factory cartridge with a definite feel then the headspace is tight but safe. Be aware though that overall chamber length will also be a little short so you will have to take that into account when trimming. You may rent a reamer from reamerrentals.com and finish reaming by hand. I believe they also rent gauges. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3566 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you set that barrel up tight, if you are checking things loose, you will lose two to three thou when the barrel is torqued. Depending on what the gun is intended for, you may be OK with a snug chamber. But, if it is a "far to the outback" hunting rifle, where any and all cartridges must chamber, including the ones your guide has had ratteling around in the truck for 5 years, then snug won't work. It is very easy to measure everything with a depth mike and determine just what the headspace will be before the barrel is put in the receiver, but it really needs a good picture to explain.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Did you tighten the barrel to its final torque position? with a barrel & action wrench & mark that position? you really need to use a set of headspace gauges to know exactly where you are & not have to guess at it. Mauser 98 threads are 12TPI.One thead take up is .0833, divide that into 360 degrees. Thats about .002 every 10 degrees you tighten on the action wrench.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rather than buying rent the reamer and headspace gauges for a fraction of the price and be on the safe side. You can rent everything you need at www.reamerrentals.com

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote