Find
Notify
Tools

Worst barrel ever!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
I picked up my rifle from the Gunsmith yesterday. It is now wearing a new tube. I knew the old barrel had issues but was amazed when I could see it on the bench.

Some background. This is a M70 out of New Haven, was a Super Grade and a GIFT. So I didn't say much about the thing but struggled with bore sighting, bad groups etc. After a while I finally found a load I could get consistent groups with, so I used it. Until I broke the scope. Twice. It has since been a safe queen.

So I rolled the barrel on the bench, and it flops around like a fish! I then held it in the light with the bore centered to the mass of metal and can clearly see the chamber is cut probably 10 degrees off center-line! My 'smith said it is by far the worst he's ever seen and asked to keep it to show customers. I didn't get pictures but may stop by later and try.

I don't understand how it could have even gotten through QA. How did it even fit?

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the world of factory barrels.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:
.... This is a M70 out of New Haven, was a Super Grade .....
So I rolled the barrel on the bench, and it flops around like a fish!

I don't understand how it could have even gotten through QA. How did it even fit?

Couple things
HUGE quality issues on the late 90s/early 2000s model 70s.. "everyone" knows this.. the actions and stocks were CNC made - everything else, pre-FN, was JUNK

MANY people have seen horrible examples of the horrid CRAP that was "hand fitted" (not unlike the pre-64) rather than a coherent machine

QA? LOL.. LMAO... (and other exaggerated laughing) out of New Haven? you know that plant, and worn out equipment, was sold at bankruptcy auction, right? I bet the QA department appeared on an Org. chart!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just for shits and grins, I'd send it, along with a letter of explanation, to their customer service/warranty dept. They just might kiss your ass up one side and down the other. Then again, they might not. Their response, one way or the other, would be interesting.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Why would FN care about a usrac rifle? That's a real question, not a jerky one. There are millions of shite usrac new havens out there.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'Day Fella's,

Big Nate, it's an unfortunate situation when Quality Control, is just a couple of words with no dedication to their meaning!

At the same time, I have a Mod 70 stainless Classic (All-Terrain Rifle in 7mm Rem Mag) of mid 1990's manufacture, that will consistently shoot 1/2" to 5/8" groups with handloads as it came out of the box!!!

I think you have done the best thing you could have, by rebarreling it! Now just focus on your next Range Day or Hunting Trip!!!

Good Huntin
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!

Posts: 459 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The worst I ever saw was on a new in the rack 788 Rem 30-30 back about 1971 or so.
That barrel was easily bowed more than 1/4" and could be seen looking down the sights.
A look through the bore confirmed that it would have looked like a jump rope if spun in a lathe.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Why would FN care about a usrac rifle? That's a real question, not a jerky one. There are millions of shite usrac new havens out there.

As I said in my post, "Their response, one way or the other, would be interesting."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It happens to all factory guns from time to time. At the speeds they machine them and the way they are set up its a wonder any factory production gun hits the side of a barn.
I have had many Winchesters over the years and never had one that wouldn't shoot with a little tweeking. I have a couple right now that will out shoot most fine target rifles.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the problems with a range of Winchester guns from NH was feeding issues. I believe some
from Aus were taken back as they could just not get them to feed, regardless of what was tried.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Only thing an OEM rifle is good for is to cannibalize and send the action to a builder.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
Only thing an OEM rifle is good for is to cannibalize and send the action to a builder.

Yeah, right. That's what I do with any rifle I get, especially Kimbers, they're garbage for sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Millions of heads of dead game would tend to disagree with this that statement.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I must be the luckiest person in the whole world. I am 79 years old and have owned guns for probably 65 of those years. I went to Gunsmithing school at TSJC and have been an avid owner for all those years. Can't number how many Model 70's I have owned in that period as it is my favorite bolt action rifle. The most accurate rifle I own is a 375 H&H SS Mdl 70. Do not nor have I ever owned any of the FN Mdl 70's. In all this time I have never had nor even SEEN a factory defective Model 70 or actually any other new rifle. I have owned some abused used rifles over those years. The ONLY factory defect I have EVER seen was in a Colt SAA barrel. It looked like one of the lands was actually pulled out by the cutter. The dealer replaced the gun. I'm sure there are legions of owners out there with all these factory defects I just wonder why in all my years I have never met nor seen one. Just inordinarily lucky I suppose.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I went into a gun store I had been going to for around 40 years.

One of the guys I know there told me to go back into the office ares and look at EACH one of the Winchester 419 Rem Mags. There was 5 of them.

So I opened the first box. Gun looked ok, until I shouldered the rifle and looked down the iron sights... The front sight was crooked, REAL crooked.

I checked all 5, all 5 front sights were REAL crooked. There is no way anyone could have looked down the sights, and not seen they were crooked. And by crooked I mean the front sights was mounted off center... WAY off center... Eeker

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I had a 419 Winchester Rem Mag once. Couldn't find ammo for it so I sold it to some unsuspecting guy who didn't know what it was either. He is still looking....
As for factory sights, no one ever uses them and the factories know that so they simply don't care. Everyone will fit a scope to their bolt action so now, most of them do not even come with sights.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Kimber and Cooper make some nice little .22s I have a couple of each. But that's about it. Not a fan of their big game rifles or actions.

One man's garbage is another's treasure I guess.

I just don't like OEMs. Not a big deal.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
OEM rifles are made for the masses to shoot deer with. For what they are, they do an amazing job; they are more accurate than ever in history, and are cheaper as well in terms of real dollars. Sights? as I said, no one uses them anyway so who cares? I have seen some sell for less than 300 bucks and (the Savages) shoot sub moa all the time. Amazing. Not every average hunter can afford a custom rifle.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
OEM rifles are made for the masses to shoot deer with. For what they are, they do an amazing job; they are more accurate than ever in history, and are cheaper as well in terms of real dollars. Sights? as I said, no one uses them anyway so who cares? I have seen some sell for less than 300 bucks and (the Savages) shoot sub moa all the time. Amazing. Not every average hunter can afford a custom rifle.

tu2

Those ugly damn Savages are just hell for accurate!

And if you wanna swap a barrel all you need is a good vice and a $30.00 barrel nut wrench.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerWorst barrel ever was a mil.7x57 on a Mauser Mod 95. Sporterized it w/ scope but never could get it to shoot 3.000" at best. When I sectioned the barrel I found it was bored off center on a curve.Once the barrel was replaced it was just fine. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:

Absolutely!

The sub MOA groups I get from my factory standard Ruger are disgusting & clear example of shoddy manufacture.
My mate is of the same opinion about his equally inaccurate CZ550.
How are we supposed to hunt field mice at 1,000yds with such rubbish?

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote