New
Find
Notify
Tools

fn 98
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i was given an fn 98,the action is slicker than snot,but the military barrel is almost pitted thru and the stock is still in military form.action has bueler scope mounts and low swing safety chambered in 3006 improved.what would you make with it?i have 22250,7mm mauser,35 rem,3006,300wsm,300win,243.i want something different caliber thats easy to reload for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5x55-

flaco

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Since you already load the 35 Rem., a 35 Whelen would compliment it. Or you can go for a new caliber like 9.3 x 62 which gives you a rifle in the bottom of the "big gun" catagory.

If the "big gun" thing flips your skirt, there is the 411 Hawk or 400 Whelen.

All are easy to load for and .411 bullets are becoming more readily available.

None of these requires extensive work; just a new barrel.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
either a 280, a 338-06, or a 35 whelen ..

not AI, just regular.
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanx to all. i should of added i want this gun for a bad weather jump shoot/stalking gun.i was wondering about a fast handling kind of stock,and ghost ring sights,i am trying to do this on a beer budget.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yea nice guns you got there but most were sporterized the way you wanted them.so would that make them butchered?

one of us
posted Hide Post
2 dogs , ignore TC1's "hateful dude" reply moon,

Im sure you will make a nice rifle out of that mauser. You dont have to be a rich snob to sporterize a mauser and do a nice job. Sounds like it is already drilled and Tapped for scope bases so enjoy building it. Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry is right - a beer budget won't get you far with a milsurp mauser. You'll end of with a Frankenmauser that most would be embarrased to be seen with. A production mountain type rifle might suit you better in that case.

On the other hand, if you are handy with tools and your hands, a short barrelled 338-06, 35 Whelen, or 9.3x62 with Mannlincher style stock would be pretty neat. Pop a ghost ring on the rear bridge, a front sight on the barrel, and you would be ready to go with a very quick handling rifle. For real class, save up for a Rigby style cocking piece sight.

I have a barrelled action with a 7x57 19.5" barrel - when I stuck it in a stock to try it, I was surprised at how "pointy" and nice handling it was. You could get a Boyds standard laminated stock as well as a forearm blank, and splice them with a 45 degree cut into a Mannlincher length stock.

Obviously, I have toyed with this idea... Wink

Good luck.

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
making a m98 into a model 70 is $800 bucks +barrel+install+stock ..

in fact, one of the dumbest things you can do is buy your own tools hoping to "save" money ...

my first center fire was a 1945 mauser my dad "sporterized" for me ... was i embarassed to go in the woods with it? hell no but it wasn't a custom...

we tend to forget that you can make a hunting rifle for 400-600 bucks.. but it won't look as nice as a brand new ruger, browning, or remington ...

to make a rifle that looks as nice as a new browning, off a mauser, requires at least 3, if not 5, times what that browning costs...

and frequently a rebarrel+bluing double the price of that browning...

go get you a ruger scout or svage scout stainless in 308 and have a ball

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
im sorry it did not come out the way i wanted it too.its already drilled &tapped with scope,low swing buehler safety,trigger was worked by somebody that new what they were doing,the barrel is shot,i mean almost pitted thru,mostly need barrel job,new stock i can do.i am just trying to make something usable out of it.hell i already got 50 rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For fast handling, I would recommend buying a commercial action that accepts Weaver bases. Then have the barrel cut to 20" (estimate $50 for this), then spend $65 on an XS low Weaver ghost ring rear sight and put that on the rear Weaver mount. Then have your gunsmith install a Williams front ramp with a 3/8" dovetail (part and install probably $50) add a Lyman or Williams front sight of appropriate height and design ($15). There's your rig. It's my rig as well, I did exactly this (minus the barrel shortening) on a pre-64 Model 70 I bought for 500 clams because it was ugly.

Always keep in mind that a CZ550 costs 569 (at least in my area), and comes with open sights installed, a set of rings, and can be very accurate. Any budget that exceeds the cost of a CZ550 for a Mauser that is intended for general use (e.g. not a custom Mauser for Mauser's sake) is not money well spent, in my opinion.

Think about what you get in a commercial action compared to sporterizing a Mauser:

1. Bolt handle already swept back and lowered.
2. Safety suitable for scope use
3. Drilled and tapped for scope bases

Those three items on a military action alone add at least 200 bucks in cost.

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 Dogs: just read your latest post. In that case, just buy an Adams & Bennet barrel from Midway (80 bucks) and put up an ad in the classifieds here asking the gunsmiths on this board to fit and chamber it for you, and install the sights of your choice. Your cost after the rifle will be less than 300 bucks, depending on the options you choose and postage.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
oregon45

which caliber cz can you get for 569?
if 375, 416, or 458, i'll take 2

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just the standard calibers at Sportsman's Warehouse here in Oregon, 30-06, 270, 6.5x55, etc. The magnums (375, 416, 458) go for 869 now, they were 749 until early last year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 dogs, good to see you here...

The Midway recommendation above is a good one given what you are after. I'd pick up one of their A&B barrels (~$90) in 35 Whelen, a Ruger OEM front sight base with an NECG front blade of your choosing ($50 or so combined), a Williams WGRS rear receiver sight ($30 or so) rent a reamer from http://www.4-dproducts.com/ and give Alan a shout to put it together unless you have a local "smith down there. A cheap thumper for you to chase nilgai with...

Boxhead

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
What about getting a take off barrel. I thought I remember some one using a Remington barrel one time. Get the right one and you will end up with a front sight.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Unless there is a specific reason you want to use that action like other have said you can buy brand new for the same money or less. Or if you want a FN or Commercial 98 look for a used FN or MKX. Watch gunbroker etc. I've picked up several in the $300-250 range over the last year.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway has Remington 798 (Mark X Mausers) barreled actions in 270WCF for 319.99 closeout.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oregon45:
Midway has Remington 798 (Mark X Mausers) barreled actions in 270WCF for 319.99 closeout.

there is a REASON why its closeout

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
Hello,
What about getting a take off barrel. I thought I remember some one using a Remington barrel one time. Get the right one and you will end up with a front sight.

remiturkington... can cut off the threads and fit to a small ring... fun, surem but tiy still gotta pay a barrel plumber

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by Oregon45:

there is a REASON why its closeout

What reason is that?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the remingtons are rougher than chinese ak's ,, machine marks, sloppy, lots of wear EVEN IN THOSE 7 DAYS IN A STORE, and if it was stocked, 1/16" "floating" on inletting.

the remington specifications for finish has to be the worst ever,

seriously, i would give a rem 798 about 30second look over and walk on, hoping to find a nagant with worse finish

476AR,

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I agree the 798 is very rough. Why spend that much on the 798 when you can buy a used complete MKX for basically the same money. I've never had a MKX barrel action that I couldn't get to shoot sub MOA.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:

Posted 26 January 2008 12:35 Hide Post
2 dogs, good to see you here...

The Midway recommendation above is a good one given what you are after. I'd pick up one of their A&B barrels (~$90) in 35 Whelen, a Ruger OEM front sight base with an NECG front blade of your choosing ($50 or so combined), a Williams WGRS rear receiver sight ($30 or so) rent a reamer from http://www.4-dproducts.com/ and give Alan a shout to put it together unless you have a local 'smith down there. A cheap thumper for you to chase nilgai with...

Boxhead

This is a perfect example of what I was talking about. Sounds cheap at first, but when you add it up it isn't that great of a deal.

Action $200
A&B barrel shipped $100
A&B barrel install $100
sights $80
Install sights??? maybe $40
You still need a stock $75

You're at $600 and the rifle has a straight bolt handle and is in the white and needs bluing. add those two things and you're at $750-$900. Where is the bargain in that? Of coarse you can bypass the last two, but then the rifle looks cobbled together. Sorry to sound like the Grinch, I'm actually a pretty nice guy in person. animal

Your FN is a fine action and would make a stunning custom, but it won't be cheap.

Terry

As I understnad his post he owns the action and has a stock, the Ruger front sight band install is an easy DIY'r with acraglass as I have done it. The action is D&T'd so the WGRS should just screw on assuming the commercial FN D&T pattern and with this and the fact that it has a low swing safety I will leap to conclude that the bolt has already been turned down too. A gent in Texas City will blue it for $60 if pre-polished or bead blasted.

2 dogs, talk to Alan about the bluing guy as he referred me to him. I cannot recall his name offhand but he did a fine job on an OM Super Blackhawk that I restored. I did the hand polishing and he just dipped it. Anyway, this is my answer to his question...

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Guys

I happen to agree with Terry that a nice mauser is not cheap. But there is a way . . . . for those on modest budgets the way is to spread the cost across time.

I do this by ensuring that anything "permanent" done to the rifle is done to the very best standard. You only get one shot at doing a bolt job, likewise tapping for scope mounts, and checkering a stock. Have these things done by guys who know what they are doing, and pay them what they ask, quality workmanship does not cost, it pays in the long run.

In the meantime a common old barrel plumber can add a barrel to keep it shooting in the old stock while you chase down a nice blank or stock. Then maybe a good quality barrel then a nice stocking/finish job and lastly maybe a good quality bluing and checkering. Some of this is probably not in the best order but you get the gist.

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love this argument, to sporterize or buy commercial. I love my VZ-24 9.3x62mm, 6.5-06 M1909, and .30-30 M1912. They are all at the issue of what you want and how you want to do it. If you want a wildcat, you must go the "sporter" route, either by trashing a commercial action or using a GI action, and the M98 is still the best. It's the time, effort, and result that count.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
TC1 Tell me about the bases. What make are they?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:

They're obviously custom made. Look like Mark Stratton's.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

thumb +1

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
they are made of unobtainioum.. and i think thats scherz's or ricks' work

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
From what I gathered from 2 dogs, it's a project he wants to do for himself. What ever it takes to accomplish it will be his effort. I saw somewhere in the back and forth bantering that he already has fifty rifles. It's not like he needs another rifle but he sounds like he wants to do a project for himself. I say "go for it 2 dogs," it'll be fun and the pride of building your own is priceless. Take your time and do the project as you wish to do it. I believe the original question was before this thread lefty was hijacked was for an oppinion for a caliber chioce. 9.3 by 62 sounds classic to me. Damn the prices all to hell. Spend what you want and make it "YOURS." I'm sure you'll take care to do a fine job and most certanly be proud of a project gun you did on your own. Good luck. thumb

Olcrip.

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:

Those were done by a gunsmith named Michael Scherz. He seems to be MIA right now though.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you olcrip.this just got out of hand.it aint got to be fancy,just a workin mans do it your selfer.the only way i can afford a custom is do it myself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2 dogs:
i was given an fn 98,the action is slicker than snot,but the military barrel is almost pitted thru and the stock is still in military form.action has bueler scope mounts and low swing safety chambered in 3006 improved.what would you make with it?i have 22250,7mm mauser,35 rem,3006,300wsm,300win,243.i want something different caliber thats easy to reload for.

Easy! A 9.3x64 Brenneke!! It'll fit right in and put you on par with a 375 H&H with minimal effort.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote