New
Find
Notify
Tools

Definition of “Off topicâ€
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since we all got warned by our moderator about keeping our posts on here topical to “gunsmithing†I was wondering about the ongoing thread here discussing what type of oil to use in ones car?????

I guess since no one on that thread has questioned anything said by the moderator then it‘s considered to be “topical.â€

Roll Eyes

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am sure Jeff will give you his input on this.

We are trying to keep all posts on these forums indefinitely - we used to cull posts over a certain period of time in the past, and several members complained about that.

Because of this, we have to go through a sort of "cleaning up" of each forum every now and then. This takes time, which none of us here really likes to do.

As you all know. AR is a free website, we have no adverts to either destract or preferential treatment given to those who advertise - as I have seen on other shooting related forums.

All the Moderators have kindly volunteered their time free of charge to help run these forums because of their dedication to shooting and hunting.

So by keeping your posts related to the subject of the relative forum, you are helping us in our efforts. This is something we all would appreciate.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68736 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Saeed.

I’m sure everyone is appreciative of this free web site, I know I am, but as a newer member here I am having a bit of trouble keeping track of all these rules and policies that don’t seem to have much consistency to them.

Threads on a gunsmithing topic get moved to misc. then up pops which motor oil to use in your car and Christmas Moose stories and they stay?

Just a bit confusing I guess.

I’m not a web site expert by any stretch of the imagination, but what is the worst thing that could happen if there were no moderators?

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was wondering about the ongoing thread here discussing what type of oil to use in ones car?????

note the style in which the author made the post- obviously, he was having some fun.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tin can,

The attempt at humor wasn’t lost on me, but that just further confuses the issue as far as I can see.

Obviously, the moderator felt so strongly about this that he posted a warning about it that heads the page, and he has been PMing members warning them not to post “off topic†and he has been deleting posts and moving threads over to the Misc forum that he decided were “off topic.â€

It just seemed strange that the only threads that he considered to be “off topic†on his forum were ones where members were questioning things he had posted about gunsmithing, while threads on Christmas Moose and car oil get left right where they are.

I’m just trying to figure out what the rules are and to whom they apply and don’t apply, and I think it’s becoming pretty clear.

one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
fyj, you are stirring the pot and you know it. This has nothing to do with on topic, it has to do with you taking, yet another, swipe at the moderator and it is tiring.

If you want to talk guns and their making and repair then do so. If you want to continue being a prick please go elsewhere.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duikerman:
fyj, you are stirring the pot and you know it. This has nothing to do with on topic, it has to do with you taking, yet another, swipe at the moderator and it is tiring.

If you want to talk guns and their making and repair then do so. If you want to continue being a prick please go elsewhere.

If anyone would know about stirring the pot and being a prick that would be you duikerman. You should follow your own advise.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
FYJ,

Since you are new here. Should you feel a thread is not topical, please PM me with the link and I'll review.

Other than this, I believe the site owner, Saeed, has summed this up very well.

Have a nice day.

jeffe

oh, PS
quote:
Originally posted by fyj
Since we all got warned by our moderator about keeping our posts on here topical to “gunsmithingâ€

Actually, if we are using the same language, the word please is a request
as in the post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso
Please keep your posts topical to gunsmithing

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malm:
If anyone would know about stirring the pot and being a prick that would be you duikerman. You should follow your own advise.

Malm, don't let your mind wander, it's too small to be out on it's own!

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Regardless of how the very few rules are enforced

(really, "all of these rules and policies" doesn't even qualify as a stretch so much as a total fabrication. what's the actual list? post on topic, don't post things that create a legal problem for the site, don't get out of hand with cursing somebody and their family. If I were in charge it would include things like being filthy liars, being stupid....probably the reason I'm not given authority)

the fact is if we are smart enoguh to use a computer we should be smart enough to read a section heading and know what goes there. If I have a question about picking a .338 bore cartridge I won't put it in big bores. I think one thing the site owner and administrators have been great about (again, I wouldn't have done it) is creating lots and lots of different sections for every thing under the sun and very much off topic of firearms and hunting.

I understand the difficulty, the best and brightest are found in the gunsmithing forum more often than the others. We want intelligent responses and the temptation to post here is great. But by the same token since this is where you DON'T have the people that spend so much time on the political section, why ruin it?

Hey Jeff, how about moving this over to Misc. now?

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
FYJ,

Since you are new here. Should you feel a thread is not topical, please PM me with the link and I'll review.

Other than this, I believe the site owner, Saeed, has summed this up very well.

Have a nice day.

jeffe

jeffe,

This is a great web site and provides an incredible source of discussion and information of interest to firearms enthusiasts. My hat is off to Saeed and to all of you who volunteer your time to make it available to all of us.

I could care less what others on here want to post. I, like everyone else on here, always have the option of not reading their posts, or not participating in a thread at all if it doesn’t interest me or if its on a topic that I am not familiar with. Thank you for the offer, but I have no interest in PMing you to address posts made by other people or to “rat†people out for saying something that I may not like. It appears that you already have quite a little army providing that function.

Being a moderator is akin to being the chairperson of a meeting, and I have a bit of experience in that area having served on a board of directors for almost a decade. The person chairing a meeting DOES NOT participate in the discussion or debate on the floor, that is not their job and the meeting would soon become total chaos if they were to do so.

You seem to have some difficulty in deciding which hat you are wearing at any given moment on here. If someone disagrees with you or questions something you have said while you are wearing your “posters hat†you immediately switch back to your “moderator hat†and start PMing, deleting, and moving things that make you uncomfortable or that you have decided are “off topic.â€

I’m sorry, but that practice gives allot of people the impression that your moderator-hat is primarily used to help bail out your poster-hat when he gets in trouble.

one of us
posted Hide Post
off topic = writing a post about 'off topic' on a gunsmithing forum...ya get it

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fyj:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
FYJ,

Since you are new here....

jeffe

jeffe,

Being a moderator is akin to being the chairperson of a meeting,

That would be a poor assumption, as this is not how Saeed runs his site. Conclusions from this assumption are, unfortunately, flawed.

Should you like for that to change, please PM Saeed, and why don't you tell him just how this sight should be run, since you have all the answers?

ya'll have a nice day now
jeffe

476AR,

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I cannot see where the problem is as far as being on topic is concerned.

We have so many forums, each is dedicated to a specific subject. Anything not related to that subject is off topic and should not be posted there.

Anyone claiming he does not understand this has no business posting on an open website.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68736 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Gentlemen,

I cannot see where the problem is as far as being on topic is concerned.

We have so many forums, each is dedicated to a specific subject. Anything not related to that subject is off topic and should not be posted there.

Anyone claiming he does not understand this has no business posting on an open website.

Thanks for making that so clear, Saeed.

476AR,