Find
Notify
Tools

CRF not feeding properly - help!!
 Login/Join

<gundog>
posted
Greetings!

I have a little trouble with my Lefty 77 MKII. I noticed last Saturday that the CRF mechanisim is not working on my Rifle.

Round's pop out of the magazine "ahead" of the bolt, instead of sliding under and behind the extractor. Thereby acting like a push feed. I called Ruger, they said it shouldn't do that. (duh!) This model is the new CRF version, not the old push feed version.

Now before I send this rifle back to them (they asked me to send it back) and wait, who know's how long, to get it back, has anyone else had a similar situation with their 77 MKII? If so, how was it remedied?

The guy from Ruger suggested maybe the extractor is to "tight" and was not allowing the round to get behind it when feeding. I really hate to send it back if I can get it fixed locally.

Thanks to all in advance.

Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark: It is possible that the claw is too tight, but if it was working before it should not get tight all of the sudden now.

Pull the bolt out, and look at the inside area of the claw and the front area of the bolt's face. Take a case and see if it slides up and down between the claw and the bolt's face. Is it possible there is an obstruction that prevents the round from sliding between the claw and the bolt's face when it pops out of the magazine?

Try different cases and see what happens.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<gundog>
posted
Ray,

Thanks. I'll give that a try, and see if there is an obstruction preventing proper feeding. I am hoping to fix this rather than having to send it back to Ruger. I do not know when it started doing this. Prior to last Saturday, the last time I shot this rifle was last summer. I was loading the rounds one at a time while punching paper. I was not loading the magazine, so the rounds were not feeding directly from the magazine. For all I know it may have had this problem at that time.

Thanks again.

Mark.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, by coincidence this thread appears right above the "M70 feeding problems" thread.

I've looked and looked, but I can't seem to find the "my push feed rifle is not feeding properly" threads. Do the archives not go back far enough?

(...he says as he ducks his head and runs for cover. Relax boys, I'm just feelin' my oats and being a smart-a$$ )

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
<gundog>
posted
I hear you Jim. I should have titled this "my CRF has become a PF". As a push feed it is working just fine. As a CRF, it is out of control.

Mark.

<ol crip>
posted
Gum dog, check your cases at the extracter groove and see if they haven't expanded from a warm load. That would make the case too big to fit behind the extracter. Try some new brass and see if it don't do the trick...KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY.

<jeremy w>
posted
I have been thinking about this and I cannot see anything short of damage to the extractor or magazine that would cause this problem. Perhaps if I saw the rifle I would be able to fathom the problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take it to a gunsmith and get it fixed...It's an extractor problem and a simple fix...If you don't want to spend the money then send it back to Ruger...they will just replace the extractor claw.

Pushfeed Jim,
Ever see a extractor break on a push feed, they do you know and on a regular basis..I suspect anything mechincal will break, but one tries to cut the odds.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41897 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like I said, Ray, just teasin'.

Did I mention my four left hand Model 70's? The CRF ones? The ones I've been hunting with exclusively for the last 4 years, ever since someone finally deemed to give us poor southpaws a readily available, widely distributed CRF rifle, unlike you right handed guys who have had about eleven zillion CRF's cheaply and widely available for over a hundred years.

Seriously folks, we go over this about once a month it seems. I know a decent CRF rifle is inherently more reliable, I just don't happen to think that the push feed DESIGN, in all it's incarnations from WWI SMLE's to modern Sako 75's, is the devil's tool that it is blamed to be. The quality and care of manufacture of each individual rifle whether it be CRf or PF is a greater factor in it's reliability. Witness the referenced threads - problems with CRF rifles. Do we condemn all CRF's? Heck no, we can only conclude that these two particular rifles had problems.

I really am not trying to start this old debate again. Like I said, just feelin' a little rakish this morning and thought I'd check the sense of humor barometer.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Question: on a P17 Enfield, what would cause this action to not capture the second round in the mag - top round would be on the right side when viewed from above, second round is on left side - this second round consistently "pops" up in front of the claw and is pushed into the chamber and then can not be pulled back out - renders the rifle into a two shot only instead of four - cartridge is 450 AI - any help/suggestions are appreciated -

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote