New
Find
Notify
Tools

26mm-1" scope rings
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have just gone and bought a new tikka 2506.
the scope rings which I asked for which was the dedicated tikka rings with the nylon insert were too low, so he supplied me with 26mm rings, the problem being is that the scopes are 1", I was told that the simple solution is to put a single layer of insulation tape round the scope!!!
Does this work well or am I wasting my time
Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Griff,

Tikka rings retail for about �80 so why put up with something which is not quite right? They make a 1" ring so get the guy to order them even if it means waiting. The rings also come in low, medium and high. If the low are truely too low and you did not want to go to a medium height, I would put a thin
shim between the ring and the base...if you turn the bases over you'll see the screws.
Far better to may the adjustments here than wrapping the scope with tape.

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Pete
Can't alter the bases as they are one piece rings fitting on to the 17mm dovetail.
So will probably have to go for new rings.
thanks
Griff

posted Hide Post
Griff,

What type of scope are you mounting?? & with regards the standard 1" rings which came with it, just how much too low are they??? Have you actually tried the scope on the rifle?? The reason I ask is that most shops tend to recommend rings which are higher than needed.
I have a 50mm scope with 30mm body mounted on my Sako and I'm using standard low rings/bases and there is still a gap between the bottom of the objective and the barrel. I think it all depends on the contour of the barrel and just how far forward you have the scope. Sako has some useful information on their web site which gives the recommended
mounts for a range of outside diameter objective sizes. They do this for
both their standard barrel and the thicker varmint barrel.

regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Pete
I am using a 7x50 meopta tried it on the rifle but too low.Have tried something that I hope will not be a one way trip to scope grave yard.
I have bedded the 26mm rings with acraglass
having coated the scope with wax,I also used the bore alignment tool from tasc so as to make sure that it was not out of line.
Sounds drastic I know but not having been stalking since the outbreak and having it thrust upon us today (ban lifted in our area)had to do something !
Haven't tried it yet will let you know what happens, one thing for sure is, that it will not impart any stress on the scope as it should align itself in the rings .
Thanks
Griff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Something is amiss in these above posts..

I think they must be referring to 30mm rings as opposed to 26MM...26MM is 7/8" for scopes of the Lyman Alaskan class...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41907 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ray,
No we are not talking about 30mm rings. The Europeans brought out 25mm and 26mm scope
tubes as "standard". I think (& I always get the two mixed up!) that the 25mm = American 1". In the UK, the 1" tube is pretty much the more common although I'm not sure if that is true in mainland Europe. I do know if you end up buying the less common one, it causes you a real headache trying to sort it as Griff is finding out. Before you start saying that you have miked your scope tube ect, I 've checked a converter on the web and
1" actually equals 25.4mm while 26mm = 1.024"
which leaves me more confused than ever!
The answer is of course to only buy 1" or 30mm equipement then they can't be confused!
Pete

<333-OKH>
posted
Nothing to be confused about, 26 mm is 1.024 inch. Ran into this a while back when I bought an old Pecar and tried to mount it in inch rings, just a little too small. Leupold makes 26mm rings, probably others.

------------------
If Elmer didn't say it, it probably ain't true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, I dumbed up, happens with age, 7/8" is 22 mm rings....Lyman Alaskan or Leupold Alaskan...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41907 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It creeps up on us all Ray!!!
any way sorted the rings out by bedding them with acraglass worked a treat!
Gun shoots well but haven't had chance to shoot anything yet.
thanks for all the replies
Griff.