Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of this stock?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
I have been hesitant to post this but I would rather be told I am an idiot than go on thinking that I am not. Big Grin
I purchased this stock the other day I have not recieved it yet but it is on its way. I tried to remember everything I have learned about choosing stocks when I made my decision. What did I forget? What did I fail to learn? How bad did I get hurt on the price? ($285 delivered)
It is for a 35 Whelen project. Don't hold back. As if I needed to say that

I forgot to put on the link! homer

Ebay Auction

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 228 | Location: Spain Jerez (Cadiz) | Registered: 08 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i bet it's mind blowing in person!!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I noticed it on ebay, but didn't pay much attention to it. Didnt read the heading and figured it was claro.

Anyway, its a good buy and I think its a nice stock. Look at it this way, it would have cost you a 100 bucks to have it turned so you bought the best 185 dollar blank I have ever seen.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is difficult to tell for certain but it appears to be very cross grained through the wrist. Just checked again and it is. The grain flow goes upwards from the trigger guard to the top of the wrist. Pretty wood but terribly flawed in my view.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I was afraid of that very thing after I purchased it and looked again. Oh well I will just use it until it breaks. Unless you have a suggestion on what to do to make it better.

spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that a reinforcing bolt through the wrist would definately be in order......DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I think that a reinforcing bolt through the wrist would definately be in order......DJ

How would one go about doing this?

spinksranch.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Customstox,

Would it be better as a very light recoiling calibre?

If so ElCabalero, if you're interested I'm building a 5.6x57 in a while(that's right 5.6 not 6.5) that I need a stock for. Let me know if you are interested.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
wrist pin...

i take a 3/8" rod, and a 7/16 drill...
and angle the drill (starting at top of action) from "through" the rear screw hole, angling either directly towards the pistol cap (easist) or if to be deep, into the buttstock.

then measur efor length, cut it a bit long, epoxy it in, and mill to fit action.

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
It is difficult to tell for certain but it appears to be very cross grained through the wrist. Just checked again and it is. The grain flow goes upwards from the trigger guard to the top of the wrist. Pretty wood but terribly flawed in my view.

Agreed. In addition, the forend is very short. It will need a pretty long forend tip added to be long enough for an American Classic style stock. also, because the grain in the forend is not parallel to the barrel channel, I'd suspect it will be subject to considerable warpage, so the barrel will probably have to be completely free-floated to avoid changing zero. Yes, it is a beautiful piece of wood!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't see it very well on my crappy monitor, but the LOP looks short also, though a thick pad may lengthen it enough. I hope that's not stock finish on it. It sure gums up the rasps and paper until you get it all off the wood. I also would put a pin through the wrist, but into the buttstock, not the grip cap.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I recieved the stock today. It is better than th pictures. I also think it may be a little stonger than we think however I am going to discuss the wrist pin idea with my gunsmith and see what he can do.

El Deguello, Yes the fore end is short like I wanted and was planning on free floating. It looks like I will have plenty of wood.

Glen71, The LOP is ok infact I will need to take some off before the 1" decelorator goes on. It was wet (to show figure) in the picture not finished.

1894mk2, I would sell the stock for $305 + shipping.

spinksranch.com

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Pretty stock! What do you plan on building? caliber?

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1975 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
Pretty stock! What do you plan on building? caliber?

35 Whelen.

spinksranch.com

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
i bet it's mind blowing in person!!

jeffe

see!!!!

troll

476AR,