THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger sends a Replacement offer...Opinions??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried going here http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/PS-PartsOrdering.html#
and ordering the part. Just tell them the part broke.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And if Ruger doesn't want to sell you one I bet these people will http://www.e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=218

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was a salesman for a firearms wholesaler years ago. One of our salesmen was hired by a major ammo manufacturer. He told us that in cases like the above they always asked for the defective/damaged items to be sent to them as that way there was no evidence in the consumers hands. Of course, they would never return the individuals property. Prevents a lot of lawsuits. Makes any that happen hard to prove for the plaintif. If one has an unfortunate incident with a defective gun or ammo, and you want to sue the manufacturers, you don't send them the evidence for your case. I am not advocating law suits, but if one is warranted, you don't do your opponents work for them. I am also not suggesting the original poster is looking to sue. Just a comment on self protection if the ugly scenario does come up.

Elmer Keith. Enough said.

Posts: 40 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 06 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JAL,

You took my reply totally out of context!!! I was just compilmenting on how well Seafire has handled this whole situation. I was NOT complaining about anyone in particular. The comment about troublemakers was a vague statement pretaining to those people who seem to turn posts into pissing matches.

Keith

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bull Snake:
I was a salesman for a firearms wholesaler years ago. One of our salesmen was hired by a major ammo manufacturer. He told us that in cases like the above they always asked for the defective/damaged items to be sent to them as that way there was no evidence in the consumers hands. Of course, they would never return the individuals property. Prevents a lot of lawsuits. Makes any that happen hard to prove for the plaintif. If one has an unfortunate incident with a defective gun or ammo, and you want to sue the manufacturers, you don't send them the evidence for your case. I am not advocating law suits, but if one is warranted, you don't do your opponents work for them. I am also not suggesting the original poster is looking to sue. Just a comment on self protection if the ugly scenario does come up.

Sounds like you are describing theft of personal property via interstate shipment. A federal felony. Easy enough to get lawyers to participate.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
One useful question for judging one's case when thinking of filing a lawsuit is, "Would an attorney take this case forward on a 'contingency' basis?" If the answer is "No.", then sometimes it is worth considering "Why Not?"

Of course, those are not always applicable questions, but sometimes they're pretty useful.....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WWhunter:
JAL,

You took my reply totally out of context!!! I was just compilmenting on how well Seafire has handled this whole situation. I was NOT complaining about anyone in particular. The comment about troublemakers was a vague statement pretaining to those people who seem to turn posts into pissing matches.

Keith

Your right Keith, after all we were only asked to comment on whether to accept Rugers offer.

I guess it's just that I and others are naturally interested in what happened, more than what's going to happen now.
We may have tried Seafire's patience, but he piqued our curiosity, so it's all his fault. Smiler

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,
Well, one thing's for sure... You DO know how to start an entertaining post!!! cheers

FWIW, I recently had a similar experience with Remington. A barreled action fell over, and broke the bolt handle. No, the handle didn't come off(failed silver-soldered joint) it snapped the handle in two!
The first lady I talked to said to send in the stripped bolt and they could replace the handle. I did.
A week after tracking showed they had received the bolt, I called again. It seems they lost the bolt, and now needed the rifle to fit a new bolt.
I then sent them the barreled action only(after I took off the present barrel & installed the original). No trigger (adjusted by me) and no bottom (aftermarket) metal.
The next thing they said was that the barrel had some "heat cracking" - it didn't have maybe 500? rounds through it - and they would not fix the bolt handle without replacing the barrel.
They finally offered to sell me a new rifle for a reasonable ($385?) price. I declined. I just asked them to return my chitt.
They weren't very happy with my decision, and it took two more phone calls before they did, eventually, return everything I sent them.
I bought a bolt body off eBay, and the rifle is still going strong.
Like you, I never asked for anything free. I claimed responsibility from the start. All I wanted was a repair, and at my expense. I never did get it. Heckuva thang ain't it?
Oh, and BTW, I read something the other day:

"Do someone good, and they will tell ten people...
Do someone wrong, and they will tell everybody!"

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Bug,

your experiences, and mine show a trend in the gun business... that evidently is subtle lawyer induced way of doing business.. I can't imagine the manufacturers playing that sort of game just to sell a couple of more rifles wholesale...

I do know that Remington has this weird thing, if you send in a rifle to replace a worn out barrel, they give you a new receiver, and serial number minus a new bolt, using your old one instead...maybe that is why they are hoping the stupid 710 will catch on, you can't rebarrel it...

yeah, I always have used the saying you posted also, with a different twist.. albeit my own...

do someone a good turn and they will usually tell a dozen or more people...

screw someone over, and they will tell, ANYONE & EVERYONE who will listen!

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote