New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota quarter rib blank install ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am building a 7 X 57 on an intermeidate action and using a Shilen 26 inch #3 barrel. I have never installed one of the quarter ribs before and I guess I am looking for ideas, problems and such in mounting one. Are they screwed down or soldered?
Any assistance would be apprecated. coffee

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've had one done for me and done one myself. I would highly suggest screwing it on followed by soldering it. Screwing it on is good enough, but neither of mine had a great fit. After the solder is applied you can use some Brownells solder black and hide the gap.

Personally I'm not a big fan of this product. It's a great idea, but poor execution.

Terry

Here is the better one of the two.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you do a search on this furom you will find this has been brought up several times. There is no way to make a bolt-on quarter rib have any decent degree of fit. This is a job that must be done by hand. For the work it would take to make a Dakota rib fit, I would just start from scratch with a piece of 12L14 and make a Qrib.

This is one of those instances where if you can't do it from scratch, you can't do it. If you are interested in learning how to do it, then there are many folks here who can help you with the details. You will need a milling machine, scrapers, small hand grinder, and experience fitting metal parts together.

After fitting the rib, it will need to be secured to the barrel. All you need is one screw under the sight and some form of "stickyness." This can be either soft solder or adhesives.

Even if you did fit the Dakota rib to a barrel, then you would still need a milling machine to cut the rear sight dovetail. And of course you would need to drill and tap the barrel too. Dakota has 2 screw holes in the rib, but you only need one.

There is a reason that people charge a lot of money for a quarter rib. The average quarter rib costs more than the average new rifle. It is not something to tackle while one is still wet behind the ears in a gunmaking sense. Oooh oooh ooh! I just rememebred, Mr. Weibie has an excellent write up and pictures of him doing metal work, including Qrib, on the Searcy scholorship rifle in the sticky at the top of the page. I will warn you that he makes it look easy, so you must rememebr who is writing it. Mr. Wiebie has skill and experience far above and beyond most folks.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i think i remember greener said that, or words to the effect of, "on a rifle, the quarter rib may be soldered on, only after there are screws" ... since rifles flex alot under high pressure loads

the amount of time and skill to make it fit is inverse and squared to the closeness of the fit.

it is possible to mass produce a qrib, but one has to control the machining of both parts. When RNS had the first 10 550 barrels made, the qribs fit within .001, but were both made to high spec.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I like the checkering pattern on that grip. Righteous! thumb

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Bill, that was the first thing I noticed too. Beautifull checkering pattern.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one installed on a rifle - when I test fit it to the barrel (Douglas #5 IIRC) the fit was decent. The smith I had final fit it was able to accomplish it for a very reasonable fee, < $100, which included:
-milling it down (too high as it comes from Brownells)
-cutting appropriate dovetail for the Dakota sight
-drilling two holes for screws and one for a Ruger #1 style pin which was then filed flush (I thought this necessary, he didn't - he was probably right). The screws were located in the dovetail recess, the pin over the largest part of the chamber.

More recently I have inquired about the product because I would like to fit one myself - I guess I will try it and find out.

PM me if you want the name of the smith that did it.

TC1 that is another slick looking rifle. Like the way the Talley butts up to the rear of the rib, and yes, I like the checkering pattern too. Simple, elegant.

TG

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Bill, that was the first thing I noticed too. Beautifull checkering pattern.

x3

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote