New
Find
Notify
Tools

Richards Microfit Stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any feedback or comments on these stocks, particularly the laminated wood ones?

www.rifle-stocks.com

Thanks,

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've purchased 2, but got 3 Richard's microfit stocks.

They are bit rough, but with sandpaper and elbow grease they clean up nicely, and are as tough as you can ask for in a stock.

The last one I ordered took forever to arrive.
So I called Richard's and kept bugging them.
Finally it arrived, and then a week later, so did another one.

So, I called them back (muiltiple times) left messages (no one answers the phone there when I call...business hours!) Told them I'd send it back if they would cover shipping. Not a peep.

I didn't feel right keeping something I didn't pay for, so I gave it to a buddy, and he put it on his Model 70.

If I was looking for a laminate to practice my stock finishing on (sanding, fiddling with the barrel chanel, etc) I would purchase another one in a second.

Don't buy one if you're just planning to drop in the action.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience with them, having done a few for clients, is they do a piss poor job of inletting and take out too much wood. I won't do another on!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Garret, I'm very happy with mine but it's not laminated.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used them, the enletting sucks, but I only used their laminates and glassed the whole kabootle and since laminated stocks are half glass anyway and are not particularly a thing of beauty they worked fine on a hunting rifle. I guess?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard good and bad about there stocks. It,s really a shame as from what i understand that they have taken over the old Fajen stock company,of warsaw Mo. Now those stocks were made GOOD,with super inletting,and as clean as could be.

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fajen were good, have had a couple in distant past.

I dont mind finishing and was going to glass bed anyway. I have stock finishing tools and have no problem with barrel channel finishing.

This is for a Marlin 917 rimfire which has very simple inletting and a straight barrel so should be easy to do.

Thanks for feedback!

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Richards Microfit did not take over Fajen. Fajen was sold in 1992 to Larry Potterfield the founder of Midway shooting Supply. In 1993 he acquired E C Bishop and made it a part of Reinhardt Fajen gunstock company. E C Bishop's former owner's son is Henry Poll of Great American Gunstocks. At the 95 NRA show, I heard the story from Henry a number of times about the family coming to work and being told by Dad to pack up and that the company was sold.

A few years ago, RF had an auction and sold a lot of their equipment but kept the name as no one met their price. From my understanding it is still owned by Mr. Potterfield.

Van, make sure you take notes.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I think it all depends on your expectations. If your looking for some practice or something that doesn't need precise final inletting they are fine. If you want something nice buy a blank and send it to a good duplicator who has a pattern you like.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote