New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enfield Bottom Metal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody got Wisner bottom metal for 1917 Enfield or P14 tucked away that they would like to sell or know a source? Any caliber would be considered from 30-06 to 375 H&H. Other manufacturers also considered. I have talked to Jim Wisner about this however I might get a surprise or two just like I found the scope bases. Need to complete these two projects. As a last resort I have 2 Model 30 guards and a couple of staighten military. Thanks for any help I can get on this. Ron

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if you are making the stock, you can use mauser bottom metal, by reangling the rear hole.. but, then again, you would need to make a stock to use jim's.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jeff,

Considered doing what you suggested and have seen this done a couple of times. I have both stock semi inletted in classic pattern (Wenig's pattern) on exhibition walnut.

There are thousands of these rifles out there and many converted to big bore...what are folks using for bottom metal.

Williams Firearms stated that they may do these....separate box which is ideal. Matt...any word on this project....I'm good for at least three.

Cheers, Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In about 1990, I called T om Burgess and quizzed him about Enfield modifications. I was on the phone for about 1 1/2 hrs while he guided me through various operations...many pages of notes later, I asked him "When did you last do all this?" His answer was "1949"...Jeez...the guy is a walking encylopedia of gun knowledge. About the first thing he advised was to just cut off the tang and weld on a newly configured, longer variety...then....start modifying bottom metal to make everything fit...yes..you can start off with Mauser (Blackburn for instance)...this is a labor of love! Now...you have to contend with the "cock on closing issue"...these Enfield projects just go on and on and you think nobody in his right mind would pay for all this??? wrong!....but...when all done, a pretty handsome (and unique) custom rifle will evolve...would I do any again...ahhh...I'm gonna be busy that day! but...good luck

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've played with this for the past couple of days....the best fit was using my Z47 bottom metal for trial....obsevation......wrong angle on the rear tang/bow and not wide engough through the mag area. If making a new stock could use...weld up rear hole and drill at the Enfield angle.

Since I'm restricted by the stock....I'm planning on using the rear bow from a 1909 and making the front from flat stock and welding the two components together in a fixture.

Floor plate....might be able to use the big
Brno and modify.....or maybe someone has a Burgess or Wisner straddle plate tucked away. I triied Jims 1909 plate however it's far too narrow...good for length.

Any other ideas before some of the guys pounce on me for cutting up an 1909 guard.

Ron

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
rgg_7
I have a Wisner 1917 enfield bottom metal. I will have to look but I think it is for a .416 rigby. I also have one of his 3 pos safties for an enfield. Both are new. Will sell both or only the bottom metal for what I bought them from Jim for.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
h2oboy...PM sent....can you give me the part numbers and I'll look them up in my catalog....bottom metal should have a number on the inside of the floor plate under the mag spring. Thanks, Ron

one of us
posted Hide Post
h2oboy-

PM sent regarding safety.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rgg_7-

If Matt Williams is watching or listening, I too, am good for a couple of Enfield bottom metal units myself if he were so inclined to make them.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just had a Rem 30 bottom altered by Dennis Olson to have hinged floorplate and M70 type button release. Very nice job.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
Just had a Rem 30 bottom altered by Dennis Olson to have hinged floorplate and M70 type button release. Very nice job.

Anyway to get a pic of that?
-Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd also like to see a pic of that. Also the approximate cost of having it done. I have a spare 1917 straightened bottom metal that I wouldnt mind having converted for the 416rem I am having built.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would also appreciate a picture. Have a couple of '17s that I would like to get hinged bottom metal for.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will see if I can make a pic - take a few days to figger out the camera and how to post.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
Will see if I can make a pic - take a few days to figger out the camera and how to post.

I'll help with the pics.
You have a PM.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been eyeballing and it looks like pre 64 bottom metal is close and webbie is a tad long but some modifying will do. Kleingunther is very close, I'm refering to the Titan II type.

PS an M-98 BM is a perfect fit for O3-A3's. I know this because I successfully did it.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see Williams make a couple for an M1917 as well....

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote