New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Action Question????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My friend has a barreled Mauser action sitting unused in a closet.

I really know nothing about Mauser actions, as you will see from the balance of this post.

On the left forward part of the receiver, it says something similar to "Modelo 1909 Argentino"

On the left side of the action it says something in German "Deutsche...." and then "Berlin".

The barrel is stamped 30-06 and has the old military sights on it. On the top of the receiver is an emblem of some sort.

Is this an Argentine Mauser, or German Mauser?

I was thinking that maybe this would be a neat gun to turn into a .338-06. Is it worth it, or would I be better off using a Winchester or Remington action. Also, there is no bottom metal (Magazine box, floorplate, triggerguard). I believe that the bolt, when opened, would also get in the way of a scope. Is this action more trouble than its worth?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Tim check your email.
Roger.

[This message has been edited by Roger Rothschild (edited 02-04-2002).]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Helgeson:
My friend has a barreled Mauser action sitting unused in a closet.

I really know nothing about Mauser actions, as you will see from the balance of this post.

On the left forward part of the receiver, it says something similar to "Modelo 1909 Argentino"

On the left side of the action it says something in German "Deutsche...." and then "Berlin".

The barrel is stamped 30-06 and has the old military sights on it. On the top of the receiver is an emblem of some sort.

Is this an Argentine Mauser, or German Mauser?

I was thinking that maybe this would be a neat gun to turn into a .338-06. Is it worth it, or would I be better off using a Winchester or Remington action. Also, there is no bottom metal (Magazine box, floorplate, triggerguard). I believe that the bolt, when opened, would also get in the way of a scope. Is this action more trouble than its worth?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Tim

Sounds like a Argentine Mauser made by D.W.M. BERLIN
Have fun!!

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Obendorf Mauser, You can make anything you want out of it.....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Hunting Max>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Good Obendorf Mauser, You can make anything you want out of it.....

Sorry Ray,
it�s not my thing to correct people, but this 98 Mauser was definitely not built by Mauser in Oberndorf. It was built by DWM, the "Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabrik Berlin" (German Weapon- and Ammunition Factory Berlin). But anyway, it is a veeeery good Mauser.

------------------
Guns can save lives - maybe your�s.
Max

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
That argentine 1909 is a fine action for your 338-06.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote