New
Find
Notify
Tools

'splain to me-
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
-the difficulties/practicality of milling a charger slot into the rear bridge of a receiver that does not have one.

My father-in-law will soon be, I expect, the owner of the new Ruger Scout- I've never liked the drop magazine idea on scouts because they can get lost. I'm more an advocate of stripper clips as the rifle can be charged by hand a round at a time if need be, and in .308 only due to the availability clause pertaining to scout rifle ammunition.

thx.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
not what you asked --
the ruger actions are cast and HARD - other than that, it shouldn't be a big deal

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not difficult for a smith conversant in Highpower across the course bolt rifles. There are some dimensions out there I think, but when I did my Rem 700, I just copied what is in the 1903 Springfield bridge. I used a center drill to create the two outer features for the clip ears and used a dremel and files to remove the material in between, checking fit as I went.
I'm not familiar with the Ruger receiver to know if there is enough material in the rear bridge to do it. If not, there are bolt on adapters for the rem700 and Winchester that could be adapted, if there is room on top of the rear bridge.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Randy Gregory at Accuracy Unlimited in Medford WI shot across the course with a Ruger 77 for many years. He would be the first person I'd ask.

John

Posts: 563 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
-the difficulties/practicality of milling a charger slot into the rear bridge of a receiver that does not have one.

Something like this?

I would have to look at the particular action to see what would be involved. But yeah, no problem.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
not what you asked --
the ruger actions are cast and HARD - other than that, it shouldn't be a big deal

-but to the point, appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful- thank you all. I asked and I receivered hilbily

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have not found MK2 actions to be hard in the bridge at all. Some first models are harder, and show purple bluing because of it.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I cut one in the rear bridge of a Rem 700 using only a drill, Dremel tool and files. Looked good and functioned perfectly. I can't remember where but someone published the dimensions to use.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
Randy Gregory at Accuracy Unlimited in Medford WI shot across the course with a Ruger 77 for many years. He would be the first person I'd ask.

John

I'll second Randy's work. Excellent gunsmith and a very accomplished shooter. The Rem700 240NMC he put together for me really lays them in there and functions perfectly.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The hardness of an action should be irrelevant. Unless it needs to be taped
Invest in solid carbide and receivers are cut nearly like butter.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Masterifleman:
I can't remember where but someone published the dimensions to use.

It's a simple process to transpose the dimensions from an actual clip. That's what I did to the action pictured above and it worked perfectly.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John[/QUOTE]

I'll second Randy's work. Excellent gunsmith and a very accomplished shooter. The Rem700 240NMC he put together for me really lays them in there and functions perfectly.[/QUOTE]

X3 I've had Randy build me 5 or 6 sticks. All shoot. He really knows how to make a great shooter out of a model70 based project along with the usual Rem700 and Rem clones...Just a really well rounded precision smith who learned his trade making fine target and course rifles. Hunting rifles are easy for Randy!!!!! Master machinist to boot...

Posts: 146 | Location: WI | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not think that stripper clips will work on the Ruger Scout Rifle, IF it is a single collum straight line feed magazine. I do not know as I have not seen one in person

Think of a 1911 45 ACP magazine or a Glock 17 magazine, again straight line feed.

You have to push the rounds down, back& THUS UNDER, the feed lips.

Stripper clips only work with a double stack magazine that feed from both sides,[think M16/M14 magazine, that you can load by pushing a round straight down into the mag between the lips of the mag.

Unless, the gun is designed with single collum lips that will "spread" when loading with a stripper clip...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never done a Ruger. I do 700 Rems to the original USMC drawings. $300.00 + return shp. This includes blueing.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

Unless, the gun is designed with single collum lips that will "spread" when loading with a stripper clip...

There in lies the key My ancient 1891 Argentine is a single stack mag but with feed lips designed to spread ever so slightly to allow feeding from a stripper clip. Now did ruger carry this design over I doubt it.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The other thing is I don't understand the concept of loosing a magazine. Yes it's possible but with so many rifles with detachable mags used in much more harsh environments I just don't get it.

Are you only carrying the one magazine?? That's not a good practice. Everything must have a back up and a spare mag would go a long way

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
two points-

the mag could be seen as just another extra thing to do without.

if lost wouldn't that make loading the rifle clumsy, and you'd be limited to single rounds, if at all.

no mag and a standard magazine well seems to me the simplest, and by that best, application.

just .02