Find
Notify
Tools

Wood Stock Question
 Login/Join

<JoeM>
posted
Hello
I own a Tikka 595 in 17 Remington. Master Continental.

It looks like this

With the proper handload, it shoots like this

My problem is that while I do like its overall performace, I am having frighening thoughts about the wood stock. Warpage, POI shifts and such. I cant find an aftermarket synth. either. So should I:

1)Bed it now as a preventative thing-I assume Pillars are the good-guy way to go?
2)Or wait until that wood stock does cause problems and fix it then?

I am in a quandry here as I want to use it for hunting, and that does mean a potential moisture problem, but also if I do go ahead and bed it, maybe it will never be this way again as far as accuracy?

Edit:
The barrel channel is free floating, but I had it apart and saw no evidence of glass inside it. No finish on the interior wood either.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

[This message has been edited by JoeM (edited 05-18-2002).]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoeM:
Hello... I am having frighening thoughts about the wood stock. Warpage, POI shifts and such.

Joe, my "prescription" is for you to take a valium and chill out! These "frightening thoughts" will go away and that's about all they are is frightening thoughts. The idea that you can't go hunting with a rifle that doesn't have a synthetic stock is silliness. How do you reckon our forefathers did it for 200 years before we got the syn stocks?

I hunted for 40 years before I ever owned my first (and only) synthetic stock. There's nothing magical about them...except I don't worry about scratching the ugly thing. I've been caught out in the rain a time or two with a rifle and gotten sopping wet. I come home and clean and dry everything good, put the rifle back together and nothing happens.

In short, Amigo, you're worrying about nothing! (Unless you plan to fall into a river every time you go out.) Leave your little .17 alone and enjoy the thing! Before a hunt I like to spray a gun down good with WD-40 just for the hell of it and with the idea in mind that this will protect it from my sweaty little paws and whatever else might get slung my way.

Worry about all this warpage and crap IF and WHEN it ever happens to you...which I seriously doubt it ever will...short of you falling into the river. Good hunting!

------------------
A well placed bullet is worth 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Brown>
posted
Nice looking rifle Joe.
You will only improve your accuracy if you pillar bed the action, it only costs a little, and while you are doing so, you will be coating the inside of the stock with Accragel or Accraglas and will be sealing it from the elements. It is not uncommon to get poi changes even with a freefloated barrel. Just go torque the front or real screw down too tight and shoot the gun, and you will be a believer. Pillar bedding removes the 'Guess' out of tightening the screws up. With a properly pillard rifle, the screws will be loose as hell til the last 1/8 or 1/4 turn, and will suddenly be tight. This indicates that you are NOT flexing or compressing something(like wood).
Most of my clients are now going for the completely Accragelled interior and automotive 2 part isocyanate cured polyurethane clearcoat on the outside. It is naturally glossy, but a 2000 grit paper will knock the wet look down and you can then buff it to your desired shine. A satin finish looks great, and you can drop in in a bathtub of HOT water with no ill effects.
Hope this helps. Pillars are one of your best investments.
Mike

Brown`s Custom Gunstocks
Port Angeles, Wa

one of us
posted Hide Post
Squeeze your eyes real tight, click your heels together Alice, and will such thoughts away.....wait til its broke to fix it.

Put some thin finish in the inletting and go shoot some more of those good groups, if someday it warps or moves then glass bed it and forget it.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41907 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MIke,
Never drop one of my wood stocks in a bath tub of hot water, that is the most dangerous thing one can do to a gun!!!

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41907 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote