THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What to do with oversized barrel channel on synthetic stock?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with oversized barrel channel on synthetic stock?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a fiberglas stock for my old model Ruger 77 that I want to fit as I refinish the original walnut stock. As I've inletted the stock to fit, I find that the barrel channel is much larger than the barrel (about 1/4 inch on each side). The forearm is also a little warped. Any suggestions to filling the barrel channel to reduce the sloppy fit? Also, any tips on straightening the forearm? Doesn't have to be pretty since this is a back up stock. Your help appreciated. Bob

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I've done this before, and it wasn't hard (anybody should be able to do this if I did!).

Make sure that the barrel clears the stock by your desired gap everywhere (I'm assuming you want a free-floated barrel). If not, sand yourself some clearance. In my experience, you can't straighten a wooden or fibreglass forearm without creating a lot of stresses, so we aren't going to try!

Put multiple layers of tape on barrel. You want the tape to be the thickness of the gap between barrel and stock that you wish to have. Put the tape lengthwise up the barrel, don't wrap around it (we want it nice and smooth along the edges where the barrel meets the stock.

Coat the tape well with release agent, then after roughing up the barrel channel REAL well with something like a Dremel tool, glass bed the barrel full-length. Acraglass from Brownell's ( www.brownells.com ) is my favourite.

After the glass cures, remove the tape and you should have a nice uniform gap between your barrel and the stock.

I've even used this on wooden stocks with suitably-dyed Acraglas. Of course it isn't perfect, but it looks better than a huge uneven gap which is how it looked when I got the rifle.

Don't forget the release agent! (Johnson's paste wax is the one I like).

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rather than tape I've always used 2-4 layers of wax paper. Works well.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On synthetic stocks with hollow voids in the barrel channel, I've filled the channels with styrofoam before bedding as described in the first post, otherwise you'd end up using an extra pound or so of Acraglass.

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
When using the accuplass as a filler I go to the hobby shop and get the little bead filler material used by airplane modeler. You mix it with the glass and it works as filler reducing weight and amount of glass you need. In a pinch I've taken a course rasp to the green foam block they use for flower arranging (got it a wally world) use the shavings as a filler. Use as little epoxy as you can get away with and still coat everything. You are not looking for strength only filling a void.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rather than tape I've always used 2-4 layers of wax paper.

That black pipe wrap tape. It looks like giant electrical tape. No wrinkles, smooth job.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you guys doing this before or after bedding the action?? I have a Rem 700 that I am waiting to steel bed, but would also like to fill the barrel channel for a nicer fit. The stock is a wood ADL.

The ideas for making a floated, yet smooth and uniform finish in the channel are very helpful. I just need to know whether I bed the action first.

Thanks.

Posts: 130 | Location: Armagh, PA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you would like to take that warp out of the forearm it is not difficult. And if it induces some stress in that portion and it is free floated so what.

Cut a channel down the center of the bottom of the barrel channel. Fill it with epoxy and insert a redibolt ( all thread - threaded rod) about 1/3 the channel width or less. You have to establish how much you have to bend the forend the opposite way to get it to the straight position. Now bend it just a bit more and hold it in that position with clamps until the epoxy is good and hard, like 3 days. Your warp should be gone.

The same thing can be done with wood but you can also bend wood stocks with the proper technique.

Chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys, great suggestions and doable in my garage. This is why is use the forums. Bob

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote