New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mexican Mauser bolt workaround
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I acquired two mexican mauser actions without bolts. The barrels are marked C.I.A. Deluxe Sporter. Finding an original mexican mauser bolt seems to be like finding the holy grail. So, is there another mauser bolt that will work?

Posts: 40 | Location: Lame Deer, Montana | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Robert,
The 1910 and 1936 mexican mauser ACTIONS (that means not barreled already) can use the 1903 turk small ring bolt. Like changing any bolt, they must then be headspaced

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Robert,
I have a couple Mexican Mauser bolts. Would you be interested in trading one of your actions?
Thanks, Mark Lee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mark,

How much do you want for your bolts? I've already commited to assemling rifles on these actions.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lee:
Hi Robert,
I have a couple Mexican Mauser bolts. Would you be interested in trading one of your actions?
Thanks, Mark Lee

Posts: 40 | Location: Lame Deer, Montana | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Jeff. Both of my actions are already barreled in light .308 win. barrels. I will keep my eyes open for the 1903 turk bolts if I can't find any mexican mauser bolts. If I go the 1903 route, I'll have to pull the barrels and do the headspacing.

quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Robert,
The 1910 and 1936 mexican mauser ACTIONS (that means not barreled already) can use the 1903 turk small ring bolt. Like changing any bolt, they must then be headspaced

jeffe

one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Are you sure these are Mexican M98's?? I often heard of many arsenals rebarreling Mexican M93's and 95's to 308 Win. Which isn't very advisable. Do these actions cock on closing or opening?

-Mike

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I have seen Mexican Mauser bolts offered from time to time on eBay. Some of them are forged already, some of them are not.

I have done a lot of business with a seller named Riflebuff and his stuff is top notch. He had a few Mexican bolts for sale a while ago. You might drop him a line and see if he still has any. Perhaps he could help you out.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do these actions cock on closing or opening?

Alvinmack,

How would he know without the bolts? Big Grin

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Oh man, you got me homer

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
<jumping up and down>

dadgummit
1910 and 1936 are small ring 98!!!!!

there aint no cock on close 98's

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

No jumping in the house! shame

Of course there are no cock on close 98's. I think even Ray has accepted this. Wink

But there were a bunch of Spanish 1916's rechambered to 7.62 cetme and many folks don't know the difference between Spanish & Mexican rifles. I've seen more than one guy who thought he had a Mexican when all he really had was the lowly Spanish cock on close 93. I think Alvinmack was posing a legitimate question.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, it was you who said it was a 1910 or a 1936 and that it was a 98 action, not the guy who started the thread. he just said a mexican mauser.

The FMM (Fusil Mauser Mexicano) Model 1902 mauser replaced the FMM Model 1895 (cock on closing - also mauser). There is a model 1907, a model 1912 and so on.

zlr, I would not make that stretch to think that even now Ray realizes anything about the Mexican 1910 or 1936. Wink

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

The reason why I brought up what I did I because often people who arent that well versed on the different Mauser actions will often confuse Spanish cock on closing 93's and 95's for Mexican 98's. And I got very suspicious when he said they were barreled in 308 because as z1r pointed out many of these arsenals rechambered 93's and 95's to 7.62 cetme.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Alvin,
sorry... just answered ray too many times that mexican 1910 and 1936 are small ring 98s... not some other odd variant..

i LIKE you explicitly naming the spanish as teh CETME loading, as the 308 is too hot for guns chmabered in cetme

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

The story I always heard was that these were meant for Cetme ammo. Interestingly, this Manual reportedly says they were meant for Nato ammo. If that is so, with a defence department like that, who needs enemys??

I wonder if it is an importer's gimmick to increase sales or the real deal. Most folks here tend to think of the .308 Win and the 7.62 Nato as interchangable so it would certainly tend to helps sales.

Aut vincere aut mori

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
cetme, 7.62 nato, and 308 aren't the same round.

cetme and nato ARE the same case drawings

308 aint...

pressure increased cetme, nato, 308...

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Yes, I know that. But as I said, most of the public thinks of them interchangably. A savy marketer would see the advantage of a manual that says Nato vs CETME. Not saying it is so but after Mitchell's wild marketing assertions anything is possible.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Everyone,

I enjoyed reading all the discussions. These actions that I have are small ring cock on opening actions. The actions were polished and blued so the crests are gone except for the faint "Fabric" on one of them. I can't say that I know the difference between a 1910 and 1936. I played around with a junk intermediate 98 bolt. After I ground of the bolt head down to the face, it would work on one of the actions but not the other. I hope this helps to clear up the question on whether they cock on opening or closing.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I have several intermediate bolts and what I was told is a Mexican bolt.

Both bolts worked in intermediate receivers. But, just to throw a wrench in the works, I measured them. None of these were precise measurements but close enough. Though the distance from rear of bolt to rear of locking lug was the same, they were different from the lugs forward. For one, the Mexican bolt face is roughly .100" further back than the intemediate. The intermediate is also longer. Since I don't have a Mexican receiver, yet anyway, I can only surmise that the inner "C" ring of a Mexican action is located a like distance behind where an intermediate's "C" ring would be.

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
The biggest difference in the 1910 and 1936 that I know of, is 1910 has a shallow thumb cut (doesn't get into the stock line) and the 1936 has a deep cut. Also the 1936 has the cool cocking piece, but since you don't have the bolts anyway....

I've seen quite a few 1910 bolts for sale on Ebay. They usually go for around $30.

Even if you put a factory 1910 repacement bolt in, you still need to have the headspace checked. You probably already knew that but.....It's still best to mention it!

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 1936 Mex has a gas relief slot in the front ring on the ejector side of the action that match the gas relief hole on the bolt body and also a gas relief hole in the extractor that corresponds with the small cut out in the bolt face. Also the cocking piece nose(on both 1910/1936) is a different shape than std. mauser 98's, more pointed to fit in the corresponding small groove in the rear of the bolt body.

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert...you have a PM...Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Manhasset,

After reading your post I went out and looked at my actions. The thumb cut is shallow and they do not have any gas release ports. So I assume what I have are 1910 actions.