Push feed/ Humour/ Science?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been trying to glode someone into telling
me the shocking truth about the uselessness of
push feed. I'm just wondering if someone (like
custom shops) started a rumor that we'd all be
run over by charging elephants with out it.
So then I saw someone's post script here somewhere, re "have you tried your push feed
while upside down."
Well now, somethings can be done upside down quite well, don't know about shooting.
Never the less, in the interests of science, I
got my push feed (Zastava Mini 223Rem) out,
loaded up my dummy rounds and layed out on the
lawn. Must have looked a real nutter.
Completely upsidedown 6 rounds fed, and ejected
perfectly. They all hit me in the kisser,
but that's to do with just me.
All my push feeds that I can remember, were held by the magazine untill the round was well
on the way to the chamber.
So, what's the big deal?
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
It is possible to double feed a "push fed", in fact it is quite easy as the ectractor does not grab the rim until the bolt is closed.

A double feed is difficult to accomplish with a CRF as the extractor grabs the rim as soon as the cartrides pops up out of the magazine.

That is the only real difference as far as reliability that I have experienced.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
JAL

I have had this tag line for a while now. It is mostly a joke because after I tried it with a couple different rifles I realized how stupid the whole "bush legend" was. Like wj said the real difference and only reason there is an advantage in a CRF is to prevent a double feed.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what i gather from olsens book, that was mausers original intent in changing the extractor design from the pre-'92 mausers. there was an issue of soldiers in battle causing jams with a double feed and controlled round feeding insured that if a round had been fed from the magazine, regardless of whether the firer completed the cycle, if he retracted the bolt the round was ejected. it was not so much - or at all - that he thought the earlier designs inadequate for extraction. and it's not hard to extrapolate that the same logic would apply to a DGR. but it doesn't mean that other extractor designs won't extract reliably - witness that pathetic excuse that remington has used successfully for 6 decades which apparently works just fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with JAL on this one - I've owned SMLE's, Ruger 77 with the tang safety, Rem700and 788, and now a 77MkII with the quasi CRF, CZ 527 and in my opinion, the CRF stuff is BS.

I've been shooting hunting for near 45 years, bit as a civvy and in teh military, and NEVER had a problem with push feed, even when used upside down (confuses the enemy/game).

If you get so bloody nervous that you double cycle and jam the rifle, I'd say you haven't done enough practice to know your rifle, and shouldn't be there in the first place!

JMHO

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
barsness (i believe it was) in rifle magazine had an article on this topic and said abt the same thing - had actually fewer problems getting feeding right in a push feed gun than a controlled feed. depending on how long ago i should still have it assuming i recalling the correct magazine.

as to being better at extraction, an m1 garand doesn't have a controlled feed mauser claw extractor and i gather w/ dirty or corroded chambers would rip the rim off a case. not the mark of a bad design. the steel extractor only has to "just" be stronger than the brass case. ideally an extractor would grab the entire 360 deg periphery but that's not realistic.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never shot any gun upside down and at my age I may get through life without doing so, that said, I wouldn't own a pushfeed and I have seen them fail on way more than a few ocassions, and almost on a yearly bases several to many times..I have personally had a round fall out of the magazine as I sidestepped and worked a bolt, and another time as I ran with the bolt pulled back...

But hey if you want to use one then have at it, but don't try to give me that silly song and dance that they are as positive as a controled feed...anything made by man can fail and I understand that, but I have only seen the control feed fail on two ocassions and both of those were because they had been messed with by the wrong tinkerer!

I have no problem with anyone else using a pushfeed, but they deserve whatever they get if they use them on the big 5 or big bear...

Myself I will continue to shoot a control feed and since I don't hang from trees I will probably never shoot it upside down...and I won't even get into the extractor problem, thats plumb scary!! sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42005 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willmckee:
what i gather from olsens book, that was mausers original intent in changing the extractor design from the pre-'92 mausers. there was an issue of soldiers in battle causing jams with a double feed and controlled round feeding insured that if a round had been fed from the magazine, regardless of whether the firer completed the cycle, if he retracted the bolt the round was ejected. it was not so much - or at all - that he thought the earlier designs inadequate for extraction. and it's not hard to extrapolate that the same logic would apply to a DGR. but it doesn't mean that other extractor designs won't extract reliably - witness that pathetic excuse that remington has used successfully for 6 decades which apparently works just fine.

Also, the ability to "drop in" one cartridge at a time doesn't thrash PF extractors. Supposedly it is hard on CRF extractors to single load, when it snaps over the case rim. I even read that it can damage the edge of the chamber.

My Model 70 Win .338 has controlled round feed, but it will only hold 3 rounds, not 4 (not supposed to load the 4th manually as it can damage the extractor). I only need one round anyway, should have bought a RUGER #1.

I have read and heard both arguments and I'm not sure who is right. My CRF '03-A3 has the 3-position ON/OFF magazine cut-off/bolt release selector. I read somewhere OFF was so troops could single-feed rounds, so as to not waste ammo.
But again, who knows for sure?
Everytime you read one "truth," sombody comes out with an "opposite truth."

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray is right, That's why they call it a CONTROLLED round feed. All functioning or non functioning problems aside, just the name itself implies "a firm grasp" on what is going into the chamber. For the record, I purchased a Rem 700 Custom shop ABG in 375 RUM before I started really reading what the big bore guys were saying about push feeds. Am I upset that I paid an even grand for a gun that I won't take to Africa? No. To be perfectly honest it was an impulse buy. It was 500 bucks cheaper than anywhere else. Folks pay that kind of money all the time and even more for rifles that never see one shot. Besides the fact that my 375 is a pushfeed, the other reason why I would not take it to Africa is because I want a 470Mbogo REAL BAD. That definately CANNOT go on a pushfeed action.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
USRAC puts in a very useful magazine follower in its Classic Safari Express M70.

If you drop a round on top of the bare follwer, it falls into a cutout so that the case rim is below the level of the extractor. The extractor captures the rim on its way forward, and from that point, it's controlled and aligned with the bore.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention in my previous post that I have never to this date had a functioning problem with my pushfeeds.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
John

I am not surprised your rifles fed ok with you lying upside down on the lawn...

All you guys are the wrong way up to start with, so in effect your little test simply corrected for being Down Under! Wink Thats my explanation and I sticking to it! jump sofa

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Pete, it makes as much sense as most of posts 'round here. jump

Or should I say UP here? Confused

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My model 70 crf 270wsm will not feed except from the magazine. If you drop one in and don't push it in the mag, the extractor wiil not jump over the rim. I even bought a Williams machined extractor.

Posts: 23 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
For single loading a CRF/Mauser/Springfield(Mauser) etc., simply insert in mag and shove it in the chamber. Can be done very quickly and no problem. However, single loading NOT from the magazine is not suggested. If you must, squeeze the long claw extractor, push in middle toward bolt body, the weapon can be single loaded smoothly and quietly.
As someone mentioned whether push feed or crf, shooter should become very familiar with the rifle in all respects and that will help eliminate any supposed "design flaws..." either real or imagined.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
turkeyhunter,
My M70 Classic 7mm WSM will not allow a round to be handfed into the chamber either. It must be fed from the magazine. This surprised me, as all my non-WSM M70 Classics allow hand feeding of rounds into the chamber, without any problem, this includes a 7mm Rem Mag and a 300 Weatherby. As far as I know, (having discussed this issue with a Winchester customer service rep, in the pre-WSM era), this was a feature of Model 70's that was an improvement over the older Muaser actions. Why the WSM's are not able to allow a cartridge to be handfed into the chamber, and the extractor slip over the rim, I don't know. The rim diameter is the same on a 7mm Rem Mag and a 300 Weatherby as the WSM's. Perhaps someone else can explain this phenomenon. The net effect of this is that I can shoot a short-action 7mm Mag that has a total cartridge capacity of 3, or a standard-action 7mm Mag with a total cartridge capacity of 4 (3+1). I believe gunsmiths modify the extractors of Mauser actions, to be enable the extractor to snap over a hand-fed cartridge. Whether or not the extractor of a M70 Classic in a WSM can be modified similarly, I don't know, but I would like to know. Regards.

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted Hide Post
The tale of two rifles
One a remington 700 338 win loaded with a factory round. When the bolt was pulled back firmly would not eject the live round but instead dump it loosely on top of the magazine. I called remington and asked for a new ejector sping but it did the same thing.
Durring a range section I found my buddies remington in 300 win mag only did slightly better, it would eject a live round just enough to clear the action and fall at his feet.

The second rifle a winchester m70 also in 338 win mag loaded with a live round sized to fit a different gun.
When loaded it would not chamber all the way, when the bolt was pulled back firmly it ejected the round so hard it broke the window next to me.

Not all guns will act the same way but it did make a believer out of me.

Posts: 238 | Location: MI | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiteman:
Hello,
For single loading a CRF/Mauser/Springfield(Mauser) etc., simply insert in mag and shove it in the chamber. Can be done very quickly and no problem. However, single loading NOT from the magazine is not suggested. If you must, squeeze the long claw extractor, push in middle toward bolt body, the weapon can be single loaded smoothly and quietly.
As someone mentioned whether push feed or crf, shooter should become very familiar with the rifle in all respects and that will help eliminate any supposed "design flaws..." either real or imagined.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman
Exactly!

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I think shooting the gun before the hunt enough to be totally confident it works correctly is much more important the controlled or push feed. As we see posted here quite often, both styles of gun seem to have some problems these days right off the shelf.

Posts: 5710 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rugeruser:
I'm with JAL on this one - I've owned SMLE's, Ruger 77 with the tang safety, Rem700and 788, and now a 77MkII with the quasi CRF, CZ 527 and in my opinion, the CRF stuff is BS.

I've been shooting hunting for near 45 years, bit as a civvy and in teh military, and NEVER had a problem with push feed, even when used upside down (confuses the enemy/game).

If you get so bloody nervous that you double cycle and jam the rifle, I'd say you haven't done enough practice to know your rifle, and shouldn't be there in the first place!

JMHO

That's exactly what happened to an Alaskan guide last year: A double-feed just when the bear started chewing him.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whether or not the extractor of a M70 Classic in a WSM can be modified similarly, I don't know, but I would like to know

My M70 Classic stainless 300WSM feeds either way just fine. 3+1 is easy, as is just dropping in and closing bolt...some extra resistance is felt but it works. I don't do it as practice, but have done it enough to know that it works fine on my rifle. I think yours might need professional help...if this issue really bothers you. The Winchester/USRAC manual even says that you can feed it either way...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
somewhere i actually stumbled across the crux of the matter of single loading a CRF NOT from the magazine, i.e the extractor snapping over the rim. i believe it was in somebody's comments in a book on the brevex. i'd always assumed had to do w/ the grind or bevel angle of the extractor itself - and in some cases probably does. but at least as described in this instance the problem was the r/h raceway was not machined w/ enough clearance to allow the extractor to spring out period in order TO snap over the ctg rim. have not checked any of my mausers as i really don't care; i always load from the magazine but someday i mean to get some shim stock and check for this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm sorry my point on extractors was scary. i'll try to type slower. if an extractor is so good that it'll rip the rim off a case - assuming adequate radial contact area - then you've reached a zenith. the case becomes the weak link. there are plenty of extractors that have proven themselves reliable in battle where many millions more men's lives depended on them than what paltry few are lucky enough to hunt dangerous game. the garand, m14, mosin nagant to name 3. the last one of which was probably made in even more #'s than mausers.

don't get me wrong; excepting a garand, m1a, mini14, #1, nagant, fal, browning safari 243 on the sako action, every other rifle i own is a mauser or close derivative. but i'm not so dogmatic as to say all other designs are generally inferior. millions of hunters for 150 yrs have lived happy lives w/ cartridge arms w/o CRF.

one of us
posted Hide Post
you guys make it easy to see who hunts turkeys and who hunts buffalo... sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42005 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So you see, that is the tradeoff. You have solid, positive extraction with a huge blade gripping the rim, in some cases splitting rim from case head, for the loss of the ability to chamber a round without feeding from the magazine. In my uneducated opinion, most folks that use weapons to kill 1 ton of charging slobbering beef are not too concerned about whether their rifles will chamber without feeding from the magazine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Ray said, who hunts turkeys and who hunts buffalo.

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
somewhere i actually stumbled across the crux of the matter of single loading a CRF NOT from the magazine, i.e the extractor snapping over the rim. i believe it was in somebody's comments in a book on the brevex. i'd always assumed had to do w/ the grind or bevel angle of the extractor itself - and in some cases probably does. but at least as described in this instance the problem was the r/h raceway was not machined w/ enough clearance to allow the extractor to spring out period in order TO snap over the ctg rim. have not checked any of my mausers as i really don't care; i always load from the magazine but someday i mean to get some shim stock and check for this.

I am definately not what you would call a "gunsmith" other than perhaps the "shadetree" type and I have been able to easily modify several M98s extractors to "snap over" the rim of a round in the chamber. And no I have never had one break after modifying thus. Beveling the face of the extractor to snap over the rim in no way weakens it as the maximum point of stress is @ the root (inside corner) of the claw, and that is not modified in any way.

I have never modified the "raceway" either.

A little common sense with this procedure goes a loooong way. I only bevel (and polish) the face enough to accomplise the desired result and never bevel the claw to a knife edge.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone should just get a Sako roflmao

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
quote:

I am definately not what you would call a "gunsmith" other than perhaps the "shadetree" type and I have been able to easily modify several M98s extractors to "snap over" the rim of a round in the chamber. And no I have never had one break after modifying thus. Beveling the face of the extractor to snap over the rim in no way weakens it as the maximum point of stress is @ the root (inside corner) of the claw, and that is not modified in any way.

I have never modified the "raceway" either.

A little common sense with this procedure goes a loooong way. I only bevel (and polish) the face enough to accomplise the desired result and never bevel the claw to a knife edge.

I have a Ruger M77 MK-II that was a push-feed originally. The bolt had the usual claw extractor, 3-position safety (like Winchester's), etc., but the bolt's face had a rim around the edge. I sent it to Ruger back in 1992 (or so), and they did some gunsmith work. The feeding rails were modified, and they mailed me back the push-feed bolt, along a CRF bolt. The front edge of the extractor was beveled, but I still didn't try hand-feeding it since I assumed I could not do that with a CRF bolt.

This is what I usually do to load the chamber and have three .338WM round in the magazine: I load the magazine as usual, pull the bolt all the way back, I grab another round, place the round on top of the round in the magazine, and then push down near the rim of the new round into the magazine. When I do that, the rim of the case slips under the bolt's face and extractor. As long as I keep a little downward pressure on the round, the bolt clears past the round in the magazine. Since I have done that so many times, I can load the chamber pretty fast when I need to.

But since the extractor has been beveled, all I have to do is to place a round in front of the bolt, load the chamber with it, and by the time I start closing the bolt, I can hear a little "snap" as the extractor slips over the case. It works every time.

Something else: A friend of mine has a BSA rifle that is very old. I had no idea this rifle was CRF, because he always hand-feeds it. Well, I decided to look at this bolt, because I could swear it was a Mauser design. Sure enough, it's a CRF bolt and it has a beveled extractor, but the rifle came that way from the factory many years ago.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having a Sako is like standing in the neighbor's front yard. You are no closer to getting in the front door with the Mauser, but you are not standing in your own front yard with the Remington.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gixxer:
Having a Sako is like standing in the neighbor's front yard. You are no closer to getting in the front door with the Mauser, but you are not standing in your own front yard with the Remington.

What?

Sakos are great. They're CRF but have Sako style (haha) extractors that have no problems with manually fed cartridges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know, was just making a funny. I was only implying that the Mauser design was one of the better CRF designs out there. Some folks get so caught up in what goes on in here sometimes its like they are trying to "reach through the internet" to choke folks. Of course none of the posts in this thread are that verbally abusive yet...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think there are a few generalisations that can be made about about CRF and PF.

PF is more reliable at getting the cartridge into the chamber. PF that is a vertical stack in line feed is the most reliable of all for getting a cartridge into a chamber.

CRF (when it is working) is good for cycling cartidges through the magazine as you don't need to turn the bolt down and "load" the rifle. Also CRF is good for having a round in the chamber with the bolt handle up.

CRF looks much nicer when cartridges are being cycled through the magazine and I think that carry somes points on an expensive custom rifle.

PF deal much better with ammo that has crappy case rims. In general, ammunition quality is more important for CRF to work. Case rims that are too thick or burred will stop CRF and extractor grooves on the case that are to deep will allow a CRF to just leave the case sitting on the follower when the case extracted, unless the bolt is pulled back quickly. Problems in these areas often manifest themselves when CRF is converted to another calibre.

I think on average a PF has stronger extracting power because the extractor is also trying to twist the case at the same time as pulling on the case. CRFs that have been poorly altered by gunsmiths so as to allow the extractor to easily go over the case rim for single loading and especially if combined with cases that have been loaded a few times are very inclined to simply jump over the case rim on a tight case.

CRF being double feed proof depends on the rifle. A lot of CRFs are not double feed proof because the cartridge is pushed to far forward in the magazine before the extractor has grabbed it.

The idea that PF is done for cheapness tends to be contradicted by the rifles that are most commonly sold. Sako, Weatherby, Sauer and Blaser for example are all more expensive than the CRFs are that generally purchased.

One last point, if we needed bigger extractor "bite area" on the case rim that would need to be done with PF. The amount of case rim that CRF can engage will always be limited because the case rim must slide up under the extractor.

This forum itself illustrates that CRFs are the rifles most likely to have feeding problems. Of course one of the problems is that CRF was originally meant for a very tapered case and with a small shoulder diameter. The very parallel cases add a problem to a CRF because of the angle the case rim must enter under the extractor.

From what I have observed, Rugers seem more reliable than the M70 CRFs when it comes to feeding.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike375:
I think there are a few generalisations that can be made about about CRF and PF.

PF is more reliable at getting the cartridge into the chamber. PF that is a vertical stack in line feed is the most reliable of all for getting a cartridge into a chamber.

CRF (when it is working) is good for cycling cartidges through the magazine as you don't need to turn the bolt down and "load" the rifle. Also CRF is good for having a round in the chamber with the bolt handle up.

CRF looks much nicer when cartridges are being cycled through the magazine and I think that carry somes points on an expensive custom rifle.

PF deal much better with ammo that has crappy case rims. In general, ammunition quality is more important for CRF to work. Case rims that are too thick or burred will stop CRF and extractor grooves on the case that are to deep will allow a CRF to just leave the case sitting on the follower when the case extracted, unless the bolt is pulled back quickly. Problems in these areas often manifest themselves when CRF is converted to another calibre.

I think on average a PF has stronger extracting power because the extractor is also trying to twist the case at the same time as pulling on the case. CRFs that have been poorly altered by gunsmiths so as to allow the extractor to easily go over the case rim for single loading and especially if combined with cases that have been loaded a few times are very inclined to simply jump over the case rim on a tight case.

CRF being double feed proof depends on the rifle. A lot of CRFs are not double feed proof because the cartridge is pushed to far forward in the magazine before the extractor has grabbed it.

The idea that PF is done for cheapness tends to be contradicted by the rifles that are most commonly sold. Sako, Weatherby, Sauer and Blaser for example are all more expensive than the CRFs are that generally purchased.

One last point, if we needed bigger extractor "bite area" on the case rim that would need to be done with PF. The amount of case rim that CRF can engage will always be limited because the case rim must slide up under the extractor.

This forum itself illustrates that CRFs are the rifles most likely to have feeding problems. Of course one of the problems is that CRF was originally meant for a very tapered case and with a small shoulder diameter. The very parallel cases add a problem to a CRF because of the angle the case rim must enter under the extractor.

From what I have observed, Rugers seem more reliable than the M70 CRFs when it comes to feeding.

Mike

You must be right. Paul Mauser was too stupid to realize that his rifle design was intended to be used under the worst conditions imaginable, to hunt the world's most dangerous "game", and be expected to perform 100% of the time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
But then you have to consider the 303 SMLE.

Mauser's design, as I mentioned was for a cartridge that was a long way in design from something like a 7mm Rem, 300 Win or 458 Lott.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mausers for the last 50 years and I ain't changin..Smiler
Was layin in bed last night thinking about this very subject. I'm about to embark on building a 250 Savage AI for Coyote hunting. I considered getting a Remington action to use, but that extractor and PF thing kept naggin at me. So, I decided to go with a Mauser. I have a litter of rifles on Mausers now, so why change. Got my first one in 1955 and have played with them since. Couple of Springfields over the years too. But, I love the looks and CRF system of a Mauser.
No amount of words are going to change my hard head..Smiler
Old age has its privileges..
Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike375:
But then you have to consider the 303 SMLE.

Mauser's design, as I mentioned was for a cartridge that was a long way in design from something like a 7mm Rem, 300 Win or 458 Lott.

Mike

You are apparently of the belief that designs cannot evolve to cope with changing circumstances.

The SMLE is besides the point here. I'm talking about the Mauser design by itself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mentioned the SMLE 303 becaue of your reference to Mauser in military terms and as you know the 303 is push feed and the thread was on PF/CRF.

I am not of the opinion that designs are unable to evolve but the facts are that the case rim must be able to slide under that extractor and fatter, parallel cases will make the angle steeper. The CRF system needs things to be more specific than does a push feed. Mauser did not design a rifle with the view in mind that it would be chambered in 114 different calibres of all sorts of sizes and shapes.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why do people start these threads?

No ones opinion is going to be changed, its a ford vs. chevy thing.

Arguing with the "My PF is better than your CRF folks" is like trying to convince a liberal that they are wrong.

Posts: 1496 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KevinNY

What you say is quite true but I think it is still worth point out sometings which are said about each that are not true.

For example, the PF is more accurate. Pure bullshit. While PFs might dominate the accuracy scene it is not because CRFs can't be made to shoot as well.

I also think some of these discussions can be worthwhile for non committed "observers" of the threads.

Mike