Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg rifle bolt issue??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted
Have a Mossberg 1500 in .338 Win Mag. I am finding it becoming more and more difficult to OPEN the bolt after firing each round. Actually this problem persists even with an unloaded rifle after the trigger has been tripped/fired. It seems to me that something is increasing the drag and the force required to open the bolt. When I close the bolt on an empty (or even loaded chamber, and I tested this by inserting and empty case) and DO NOT pull the trigger to fire the rifle, the bolt opens easily, but once I have fired or tripped the trigger the amount of force to open the bolt has become quite excessive. The more I fired the gun at actual range sessions, the worse this problem has become. Like I stated, it seems this is a problem after the tension has been removed from the loaded/cocked firing of the rifle. I have other bolt rifles that do do this, but then I only have this one Mossberg rifle. Is it possible that the interior of the bolt assembly has something broken, or maybe excessive dirt inside it? How does one go about taking this rifles bolt apart for inspection/cleaning?
Thanks,

Willi

Posts: 578 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the 1500, also sold as the howa, the weatherby, the SW, and I think for awhile, the colt, is a howa 1500 ..

most smiths can deal with it, if they know it by its other names, as they will likely be unfamilar with the mossberg, and think an 800/810 or m7 --

it sounds like trash in the bolt or trigger, but that's just guessing.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote