Find
Notify
Tools

Which scope base was on this 1903 Springfield
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Obviously a three-hole one-piece mount with the following measurements: rear hole to first hole in receiver ring, 4.115 inches; rear hole to second hole in receiver ring, 4.985; distance between receiver ring holes, .870.
I am guessing Redfield, but don't have one in hand to check. I will probably order the EGW undrilled Picatinny rail but was curious if anyone knew right off the bat.
The barrel on this rifle is a four-groove High Standard in nice shape.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
could be B&L kuharsky 1 piece mount. I'll measure later today.

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rich.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Not B&L

rear to first 4.10
distance between .850
front to rear 4.95

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your trouble Rich.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bill, i believe i have a redfield springfield mount. i will check it tomorrow

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Max. I had one around here somewhere, once ...

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buehler Springfield short base. If you want something classier than a picatinny rail let me know.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buehler' are nice solid bases, albeit a bit heavy. I have one on a Rem M30.

Posts: 1679 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buehler and Redfield were the scope one piece favored of the gun nuts of that area as they had windage adjustments and the scopes did not...those bases today fetch about $5 to $10 at your local gun shows. I have a bunch of them but no Springfield.

Weaver makes a blank base does Leupold, Talley, Burris and most scope base manufacturers' that's your best bet.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
As I discovered in an old ad recently, Redfield introduced the JR mounts in 1928, the earliest one-piece, top-mount bases I have seen so far.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were lots of systems out there. This was one.

Scopes were expensive, so the idea was, use the same scope on multiple rifles. The base provided the elevation and windage, you turned the large wind screw to remove the scope

I don't have one of these Balvar mounts for a M1903, so I can't provide dimensions.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
That B&L setup is quite neat looking, getting the scope nice and low with the reticule centred due to the adjustments to POI being achieved with the base adjustments. Very nice rifle SlamFire.

How are the steel bands of the 'rings' attached on the offside to the screws? Look very much like the bands used on original Weaver scope rings using screws one side with claws on the other.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
That B&L setup is quite neat looking, getting the scope nice and low with the reticule centred due to the adjustments to POI being achieved with the base adjustments. Very nice rifle SlamFire.

How are the steel bands of the 'rings' attached on the offside to the screws? Look very much like the bands used on original Weaver scope
rings using screws one side with claws on the other.

Yes, looks very Weaver mount.

The original barrel was not very accurate, so I had it removed and had 270 Win tube installed. And I wanted a click adjustable scope, so I installed new mounts, etc.