Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No. 1 Barrel/Model 77
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Curious, can a Ruger No. 1 barrel be removed and installed on a Model 77? I understand that the threads are the same. Other issues? Thanks!

Mike

Posts: 21395 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike,
I'll give you a call tomorrow... yes, it's possible, of course the timing and headspace will have to be worked out

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

I have two Ruger No. 1's, one in .458 WM and the other in .416 Rigby. My thought was that I could buy a long action Ruger M77 action, take one of the No. 1 barrels (with the sights, quarter rib, barrel band) and make a bastardized RSM. I like the big thick No. 1 tropical barrels and all the hardware is already on them. Is this a doable project with reasonable time and expense or the mother of all bad ideas?

Mike

Mike

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mike,
we can put the tropical barrel on a standard action, time it, and make you a nifty 458 win mag... just add money, and it's a niftier 458 lott ... or it can become a 458 AR...

the quarterrib is screwed on, btw.. just make certain you REALLY want a tang safety on a kicking rifle

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Barrel and all the barrel goodies are paid for, the Model 77 action would be . . . , well you know how much the action would be, to remove the Ruger No. 1 barrel and put it on the Model 77, what gunsmithing cost are you looking at? Reason I ask, if I can buy the action, put another $250 into it and have a new big bore, that all sounds neat. But at some point this project has diminishing returns.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Here is a Ruger 77 with a barrel from a #1 installed on it. It was originally chambered in 375 H&H but the threads were removed making it about 1 inch shorter. It now is a wildcat 9.5X64 improved caliber which is based on the 9.3X64 case with minimum taper and 40 degree shoulder. I chose not to use the original quarter rib but it would have been fairly easy to have fitted it. It also has a PME three position safety added because of the exact concern Jeffeosso mentioned. A piece of ivory fills in the slot where the tang safety button once was. Wink

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Idared,

Thanks for sharing the photo. I now have a M77 action (with the tang safety which I actually prefer), a Ruger No. 1 Tropical barrel in .458 Win Mag and Ruger M77 stock on the way care of E-bay. Next stop the gunsmith to turn that baby into thumper. I want to keep the quarter rib since I think they look neat.

Mike

Mike

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
There is an extractor cut in the threaded shank of the #1 barrel that will need to be dealt with. The M77 barrel shanks don't have um.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote