Find
Notify
Tools

BAR in .458???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
i ttraded into a beat-up BAR this last weekend, its a 7 rem mag, i don't like 7 mags, but it was cheap... <$300.... and older gun, marked japan, ... wood is the pale, blond that the BAR's have from this era...few dings, but good straight grain... it's a donor rifle for the time being... can it be chambered and rebarreled for a .458 win mag???.. or maybe a .458 x 2"??/ or is the .458 too much for the action???.. i don't intend to shoot 510 gr loads, but would like the 350's, and maybe some cast 405's....if it won't work/bad idea, it'll turn into a .338.. thanks..jim

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I think Jack Lott converted one back in the 70's and it was written up in G&A. It worked but I think the recoil was more than the stock could handle.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I still have that magazine around somewhere-- I remeber it was Guns & Ammo. The gun functioned well after the "bugs" were worked out, but it was difficult to get it set up correctly.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i don't mind shooting reduced loads... and i've seen composite stocks.... it'll just be a south texas pig gun....so parkerize it, and glass stock it also...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
It should make a pretty good ham smasher. good luck and keep us posted

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall the articles in the magazine, during the mid '70s but didn't remember which magazine had it.
IIRC the conversion was done over several issues, not covered in one issue.
The bolt thrust should be the same as found on a 7 Mag, I would think, but you might have to tune the load to get the correct port pressure to cycle the action.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
416 taylor is a FAR better choice. recoil is not as bad as the 458, will feed somewhat easier, and does have a bottle neck, so you can move pressure around, with powder/load to get it to feed

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Browining first cam out with there BAR in Magnum calibers,they rushed this gun into the market.And even there own shops admitted that it needed mor R & D before it was put on the market.this action worked fine in standard calibers,but in mag calibers,a lot i have seen had problems from the get go! If i were you,and you wanted to save monies,find another project. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Jack Lott Guns & Ammo Sept 1974. Bill Atkinson did the barrel. sleeeved from a 7mm Mag. It wouldn't feed from the mag too well.

Rich

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
How about a .375 Ruger?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot