New
Find
Notify
Tools

TX gunsmith for rebarreling 375 to 416
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have a recommendation for a Texas gunsmith that could rebarrel a Model 70 375 HH to a 416 Rem or 416 Rigby?

I’m thinking about buying a lefty 375, but want to get some quotes on a rebarrel job first.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have not used anyone in Texas for that. You could ship it to Jim Kobe, he just put a new barrel on a rifle for me, although it is waiting for me to pick up. Or you could call Hill Country Rifles, but they are not inexpensive. I am sure there are others, I have just not had much luck locally.

Depending on which 416 you go with, could require a little or a lot of feeding work, etc.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend the Remington if you want a drama free conversion. 416 Rigby is not, and never was, a good idea. It was designed to operate at low pressures, which is why it is so huge; your M70 will handle the much higher pressure, and much smaller case, of the Rem.
Also, you do not need to start with a 375; all long M70s are the same size, unless you want the Express stock and sights. I routinely make any of them, into 375s. Last one started out life as a 308.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
What Tom said, the rigby is a nightmare freight train of issues, waiting to happen.

the 375 action (keep the barrel, btw, and have your new barrel profiled to match) can easily do a 416rem or 458 lott - and, frankly, in terms of shooting, bullets, ammo, loads, and flexibility, you should consider the lott over the 416 -- at a buck or 2 a bullet, rem 405s sure do look good for range time

you should REALLY have a conversation with the smith on bedding and stock reinforcement, but I already told you this in the big bore section

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I have used dpcd for numerous projects and will vouch for his work. He will put a Douglas barrel on that rifle which will shoot better than the OP is capable of and give many years of good service. The model 70 is a perfect platform for the 416.rem mag. Put a barrel band sling swivel and good iron sights and a better big game round will be tough to find in a better rifle than that. Sally forth and.tally ho! Jolly good...

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Tally Ho, Indeed!
You can actually buy a brand new Winchester Safari Magnum factory stock for less than the cost of a checkering job. It has double cross bolts and the provision for the barrel lug, which you need.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do they do it different in Texas?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Bigger and better of course. It’s the watered down beer and real BBQ.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, the only smiths who know anything are in, Texas.
Just ask a Texan.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yes, the only smiths who know anything are in, Texas.
Just ask a Texan.

hey.. no wait.. you are right Smiler
Big Tex

476AR,

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Yeah, only a fool would build a .416 Rigby!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
John,Welcome to the Fools Club! On Texas gunsmiths, my attitude and that of plenty of other Texans is to keep as much money in my home-state as possible and practical. I always support Texas businesses whenever possible. That said, I have never been shy about sending it out of state when that was the best choice. There is more than one poster on this topic that has gotten some of my money and only one was in Texas!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Texas thing was really just about convenience. Easier for me to drive across town potentially than have to deal with the postal service.

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
MASSINGILL, ROBERT DARRYL
TEX'S GUN SHOP
240 MARTIN CREEK DR BLD B
CLEVELAND, TX 77328
713-865-3829

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex84:
The Texas thing was really just about convenience. Easier for me to drive across town potentially than have to deal with the postal service.

USPS works for me and could be a lot cheaper than driving. Remember, the good smiths do not make any money with a fellow walking in clutching his baby.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's a pre 64 keep it as it is, or sell it. You will cut the value in half if you rebarrel it.

If building a rifle from scratch, consider a 404 Jeff on a classic Mauser 98. It will be worth more than a 416 Rem Mag and will be a bit easier on the ears and shoulder.

Or just buy a 416 Rem Mag ready to go, they are usually cheap because it's not a hugely popular caliber.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Tally Ho, Indeed!
You can actually buy a brand new Winchester Safari Magnum factory stock for less than the cost of a checkering job. It has double cross bolts and the provision for the barrel lug, which you need.

I might have a left handed Classic Safari Express stock that was ordered with upgraded wood.

quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
If it's a pre 64 keep it as it is, or sell it. You will cut the value in half if you rebarrel it.

If building a rifle from scratch, consider a 404 Jeff on a classic Mauser 98. It will be worth more than a 416 Rem Mag and will be a bit easier on the ears and shoulder.

Or just buy a 416 Rem Mag ready to go, they are usually cheap because it's not a hugely popular caliber.

Russ,

He's a lefty.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you have a left handed pre 64 I want to see it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester’s custom shop made one or two M70 classics in 416 Rigby. It was apparently such a PITA that they discontinued that option in short order.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Matt,
you are correct, the custom shop USED to admit to exactly TWO 416 rigby rifles - no specs given. it could work, it would require an expert to make it work - and, i believe, would require more time in gunsmithing than the rifle could sell for -- and, undoubtedly as we all learn from mistakes, took more than a total of 2 actions to get it right.

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK well left handed 416s are not exactly easy to find, I grant you that. I was looking in my gunroom yesterday and found a RIGHT handed Win 70 in 416 Mag I had forgotten about, as well as a Sako and a "Big Five" edition Win 70. Even have a Rigby but it's a total custom on a Medwell & Perrett action and is priced accordingly.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote