New
Find
Notify
Tools

Richards Micro Fit
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got a POS from Boyds. I can fix it, just a bunch of deep tool marks in bad places, it is going to be a challenge. I got one before that was really nice. I see Richards offers what they call Exhibition grade wood for a pretty fair price. How do they compare to Boyds? How generous are they with thier grading? I am going to shoot them an email later to see if they will show pics. I never delt with them. Are they a stand up company?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
boyds inletting and turning is far better than RMF

RMF offers more pattern choices

RMF is about a 50/50 hit or miss, if you perform a SERACH here

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39567 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blueprinted

I got some advice from DJ last week that I think is pretty sound advice. I know for a fact that he has built some pretty nice stocks from inlets he purchased from Richards. However, the advice he gave me was to find your own piece of wood separately and then use Biesen's to have it pantographed. Their prices are reasonable ($125 for a straight pantograph job) and in fact, if you want, you can also buy a piece of wood from them and they will work it up for you. From what Customstox has said here on AR, Roger Biesen is a stand up guy and does things right. So I am sure that he stands behind his products 100%. I currently have a couple of pieces of wood from different sources going to them for turning. So, you might try Richards, or you might try Great American, but from what I have heard, Beiesen's might just be the place to go.

Also, don't forget that Jeffe (our wonderful moderator) does stocks on his Beaver machine so long as you have a pattern to provide him. I think Jeffe has a wood stash as well, although I am sure he could tell you more about it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live about 15 minutes from RMF and I would suggest that you take the advice offered and contact Roger Biesen if you want a decent stock.

Other than offering more styles I see absolutely no reason to ever buy a stock from Boyd’s or RMF if you can avoid doing so. Both of these places use duplicators with lots of work stations to turn out as many stocks as possible at a time and they don’t seem to check their adjustments and tool bits very often. They can turn out a good product, but it’s very haphazard most of the time and their quality runs from nice to total crap even within the same run of stocks from the same machine.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have two stocks from boyds a heavy laminated varmiter and a classic both were for mauser 98's
The inletting for the classic was a little loose and a bedding job took care of that.
i just today, ordered two stocks from RMF
A benchrest in blue coral, and a brown/brown tack drive for a ruger 10/22. the tack driver is in stock and will ship in about a week.
The bench rest will take 8 weeks.
I will let you know how they turn out. they claim 100% satisfaction or your money back including shipping.
sounds good

i have found that most of these unfinished stocks need more work to complete. I like to get them about 95% that way if there is some heavy marks they will clean up when finished
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
I have two stocks from boyds a heavy laminated varmiter and a classic both were for mauser 98's
The inletting for the classic was a little loose and a bedding job took care of that.
i just today, ordered two stocks from RMF
A benchrest in blue coral, and a brown/brown tack drive for a ruger 10/22. the tack driver is in stock and will ship in about a week.
The bench rest will take 8 weeks.
I will let you know how they turn out. they claim 100% satisfaction or your money back including shipping.
sounds good

i have found that most of these unfinished stocks need more work to complete. I like to get them about 95% that way if there is some heavy marks they will clean up when finished
Dave

The problem I have always had with Boyd’s and GAG is that they seldom leave you enough wood to “clean up†the drunken beaver teeth marks...and their inletting is normally way out of square with the stock and too loose. IMO its nothing more than careless set up and a policy to not change tool bits until they get so dull they just beat the wood off the blank.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
rick, there was some mis-aleignment on the varminter stock as well. I used pillow blocks and recut the tang and trigger inleting.
more work than i had planned for but it turned out good.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, do not purchase a "seconds" stock from anyone.

I made the mistake a couple years ago of purchasing a pair factory seconds from Boyd's because at the time they seemed like an awfully good deal. They weren't. Instead, they taught me how to full length glass bed a barreled action. Never again!

If I ever buy anything from Boyd's (hey, I like the JRS pattern!), it will probably be one of the 99% inletted deals. And if its crap, its going back. The same goes for anyone else too.

Life's too short to sink that much work into a working rifle stock!

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Richards on my rifle. Don't buy one-- you'll end up spending a huge amount of money to get something useful. They have wa-a-a-a-ay too much extra wood on them and the inletting leaves much to be desired. You have been warned!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
rick, there was some mis-aleignment on the varminter stock as well. I used pillow blocks and recut the tang and trigger inleting.
more work than i had planned for but it turned out good.

Don’t get me wrong, you can fix most of the problems from these companies and end up with a fairly nice stock...but for the money why not just go with a company that provides better workmanship from the start?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rootbeer,
all that extra wood is one of the reasons i buy richards stocks. they easily make up into pattern stocks cheaply. the same goes for boyds,gag, etc. just by the cheapest grade in a pattern close to one you like and have at it.
max

Posts: 980 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a lam JRS. This is #2. 1st one needed a little fitting around the floor plate and the barrel channel open up. It was very nice. I had it in a week. This one is crap and took 3 months. I called today to cancel the order and get a High Tech from Weaver Rifles. Lady tracked it and said it would be here and it was. It has lots of tool marks on the thin wood around the tang. Looks like a dremmel was used to shape the wrist. One look caused FUCK to spill out of my head in front of my 3 yo. After further inspection, I can make it work, I think. Does anyone have Beisen's contact info. I am very close to buying a Husky/Swede for a 6.5x55. This one is getting Walnut. Not tupperware or plywood like the rest.

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I found a nice maple burl blank and some mesquite burl for a tip & cap. I sent it to Richards and they shaped a nice stock and put my tip and cap wood on to my specs. for no extra charge. I have had two stocks done now and I was happy with them. But, I am no expert.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max(hm2):
rootbeer,
all that extra wood is one of the reasons i buy richards stocks. they easily make up into pattern stocks cheaply. the same goes for boyds,gag, etc. just by the cheapest grade in a pattern close to one you like and have at it.
max

Just to show you how their stocks vary, I have had just the opposite condition in several stocks from Boyd’s and GAG...not enough wood! I’ve never bought a stock from RMF but have been in their shop several times.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blueprinted:
I got a lam JRS. This is #2. 1st one needed a little fitting around the floor plate and the barrel channel open up. It was very nice. I had it in a week. This one is crap and took 3 months. I called today to cancel the order and get a High Tech from Weaver Rifles. Lady tracked it and said it would be here and it was. It has lots of tool marks on the thin wood around the tang. Looks like a dremmel was used to shape the wrist. One look caused FUCK to spill out of my head in front of my 3 yo. After further inspection, I can make it work, I think. Does anyone have Beisen's contact info. I am very close to buying a Husky/Swede for a 6.5x55. This one is getting Walnut. Not tupperware or plywood like the rest.

http://www.biesen.com/page2.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is Richards setup for cutting.

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I think the the wood is ok for the price they charge. I have some photo's to post, not great pics but a idea. I didn't mind them at first but after practicing wanted something a little better so I think I won't use them anymore. They are slow but have been good about taking stuff back, usually because they send something I didn't order. That CAN'T be said for GAG.

Richards English, their version of exhibition

This one is AAA Black. It was one of the first I bought. It was a second. The flaw was a small blemish under the forearm which checkering covered. I really liked the wood, wish I had that blank. I didn't do a very good job and sold it to someone who only saw figure and not my shoddy work, but cheap so I didn't feel bad.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That picture of Richard’s duplicating machine must have been taken on a day that the folks from INS showed up! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually they have a small ensemble of guys working there. All are really nice guys. I took that through a tiny clear window that was open to the cutter room.
If you have ever been to that area you know everyone is a really hard working person trying to make the best of their lives.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I wonder where they (RMF) get the router tips.. i haven't seen those before

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39567 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked with Sharon Dressel yesterday and she said that they were starting to offer inletting services. I think $125 for basic pantographing and extra for "more precise" inletting etc.
I think I would still check with Biesen first -I've seen his first rate pantographing, but the Dressels may be another good resource - I just haven't seen theirs in hand yet............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The prices seem great. I was expecting a bunch more. I was hoping to find a stick that had some grain in it for those around prices. Real nice, but not too pretty to hunt with. The ones Dempsy showed are fantastic, far better than I was expecting for that price range. Now to find an action. Thanks a bunch you guys have been real helpful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've bought two stocks from Richards but after the experience I had with Elk Ridge I got them as flat tops. Both times, the wood quality was pretty good for what I paid for it. The first one I had BAT Machine inlet as it was theey action I was using and teh action inletting was near perfect.
I think for a DIY stock project it's not so bad as long as you know what you are getting and the amount of work involved.

Michael

The World Would Be A Happier Place If Everyone Owned At Least One Ruger #1.

Posts: 71 | Location: Behind the Orange Curtain, Kalifornia | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote