THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What pros/con of Just seating against the C-ring?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What pros/con of Just seating against the C-ring?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are the pros and cons of minimal diameter shank large ring 98 mauser barrels that only seat against the c-ring inner collar? Thanks.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is going to heat up, but I have opinions and experiences.

The quick answer is the "Pro" of just seating against the "C" is it is easy plus you get the benefits of the gas handling that the "C" was designed for in the first place. The "Con" is you may have a visible gap between the shoulder and receiver face.

Now, all of that said, some opinions on the subject. I always fit them up with heavy contact against the "C" with lighter contact against the receiver face. I think it was in Frank DeHaas' first edition Bolt Action Rifles, but am not sure. I am a strict hobbyist,
I am not a gunsmith, I never played one in a movie, and didn't sleep in a holiday Inn Express last night.

My friend who is a very competant gunsmith fits the shank to touch only the receiver front face. He says that is how Rem and Win do it. He also justifies that it is not easy if even possible to true the "C" ring. His guns are plenty accurate.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There are no cons; original Mausers are fitted that way and only touch the receiver ring alightly. This is from removing about a hundred Mauser barrels of various makes over the past 40 years.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
We were taught in Gunsmith school (in the middle ages of course,I'm 79) to depth mike the face to ring and cut the tenon exactly that length. Always did it that way. Never remember having a problem.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
49,000,000 military mausers made this way. Which is the correct way, can't be too far wrong

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take a skim cut on the receiver face, true the c-ring by lapping, cut the barrel tenon to contact the c-ring and then the receiver face with light torque.

And do not worry zimbabwe, gunsmithing school has not changed much since the dark ages, er... you said middle ages. That's what I meant.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote