THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of Winchester pre 64 action?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Been reading this same ole story now for a decade or two..same ole crap....

The pre 64 model 70 has proven itself, needs no alcolades are disenchantments, it is what it is the hunters rifle.

Same can be said for the mod. 98 Mauser, but at a higher price to convert..

I probably prefer a 98 Mauser to all rifles but I have an equal number of pre 64s..

I wouldn't even consider anything but a pre 64 or a Mod 98 for myself..and when it comes to choices in rifles that choice is mine and nobody elses'

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to question the mentality of ''Engineers'',[experts] designing an action and not making it as safe or gas proof as it can possibly be ! i wont own an action if i dont like the design of it, even if its cool or a ''classic'' etc .i havent fired anywhere near numbers of rounds fired by some posters here, but factory ammo ,brass isnt infallible ,i had one factory 300 win round crack at the head and blow smoke though the action of a Wby mk5[no gas in my face] ,a Brno 602 458 that would with reduced loads blow gas in your face, Not good enough ! I couldnt sleep at night if i designed an action and sold it to the public that wasnt as safe as it could possibly be ! there should be some testing system in this day and age to test rifles for safety , if they dont pass it ,get thrown in the trash until the design has passed the test

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to question the knowledge of so called opinionated non-experts/non-engineers that have never designed anything in their lives. They do not understand that most designs go through exhaustive testing. They do not know that engineers are employees in most companies that design to a set of guide lines and a budget. Management and marketing decides how much the item should sell for versus how much it will cost to manufacture.
You can put a lot of features in an item but it is cannot be sold at a profit you are wasting your time.
Most people have never had case failures with multiple different actions. They do not realize it is nearly impossible to gas proof an action.
Wear glasses or stay home.

In the mean time you can be sure that even popular, well proven 100 year old designs will still gas you.

quote:
Originally posted by tankhunter:
You have to question the mentality of ''Engineers'',[experts] designing an action and not making it as safe or gas proof as it can possibly be ! i wont own an action if i dont like the design of it, even if its cool or a ''classic'' etc .i havent fired anywhere near numbers of rounds fired by some posters here, but factory ammo ,brass isnt infallible ,i had one factory 300 win round crack at the head and blow smoke though the action of a Wby mk5[no gas in my face] ,a Brno 602 458 that would with reduced loads blow gas in your face, Not good enough ! I couldnt sleep at night if i designed an action and sold it to the public that wasnt as safe as it could possibly be ! there should be some testing system in this day and age to test rifles for safety , if they dont pass it ,get thrown in the trash until the design has passed the test

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane
I saw a guy that had about 75 or 100 small punctures on his face after a case head failed in a M98 chambered in .243.

100 year old engineering incudes the Remington double barrel shotgun that leaked gas into my face causing a hemmorage in one eye. The shotgun had fewer paths for gas than a 98 Mauser.

quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
SR4759 Gas Proof...maybe not, but engineering the safest route for possible gas escape is certainly mandated. After seeing the aftermath of a 308 stuffed into a 7mm Mag chamber..in a 98 Mauser I might add...the shooter did not even need a band aid.

THAT'S 100+ year old engineering.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote