New
Find
Notify
Tools

Verticle mills
 Login/Join

<k wood>
posted
This may not be the correct place for this question but, I know this group knows about this. I'm shopping for a verticle mill. I'm looking at a Grizzly right now because for a small machine it has longer table travel than other brands. Does anyone have any experience with Grizzly mills? How do they compare to the other imports such as Enco or Jet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
In order of quality, from best to worst, it usually runs Jet, Grizzly and then Enco.

Grizzly (at least they used to,) does have repair parts and I have heard good things about their service. I don't know about Jet but with Enco, once they have your money the warranty is pretty well over.

For a hobby machinist or light job shop type work you are probably okay with any of them.

One thing, I would advise for you to make sure the mill has a motor that was made in the US.

Good luck, Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Powderman>
posted
I've heard good things about Blue Ridge Machinery. Might want to give them a look.

I used to pine for a Smithy, especially the one with a 36" length between centers. It's a combination mill/drill/lathe, with a 4-jaw chuck and other goodies.

But, no matter how good it is, I won't buy one.

Why?

MADE IN CHINA. (damndamndamndamn)

------------------
Happiness is a 200 yard bughole.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I have a drill press I ordered from Grizzly, 1/2 decent for the price, though I need to replace the chuck. I also ordered one of their cross tables, that had been damaged in transit, they sent me a replacement, no questions asked, and mailed it to me, which cost almost as much as the thing originially. Don't try and get a cross table and make a mill out of drill press, I knew better, but tried anyhow. The mill/drills are the minimum, and really give up alot to a true mill.

The basic comment on imports is they aren't the same quality as the machines they try to copy, but you can still do denct work on them. A bridgeport style mill has enough mass to make it rigid enough to do good work. The key is to spend the time dialing it in when you get it, and you should be happy.

Enco used to have great prices, but it seems that Grizzly is now the price leader. I plan on getting a grizzly 12X36 lathe in the future, though would like a 13X40.

As far as the 3 in 1 tools like the smitty, they are a complete waste of money, not rigid enough to do good work. One would be much better off with a good lathe and drill press then a 3 in 1.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used the Jet mill, but have some of their other large tools and have found them to be of first quality. First made in Japan was a joke, then made in Taiwan, the Japan priced itself out of many markets. I go to Taiwan frequently and am impressed by the breadth and quality of their machine tool capability. Things "aint" what the use-ta be, even the "Dewalt" planer I bought the other day (good performer) turns out to be "made in Taiwan". China is a different story, they make many servicible (read heavy metal) items and are capable of good work, but it's not in their nature.

Let us know what you come up with and how it turns out!

Posts: 324 | Location: Fairbanks Alaska USA | Registered: 10 June 2000Reply With Quote
<k wood>
posted
Yea' I kinda hate to buy an import too. I don't in any way think that they are as good as an American made machine. But I do think they are pretty good and they are about what I am willing to spend for something I won't be using everyday. I'd love a bridgeport or cincannati, I've used both some, but I can't justify the expense for my application.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Why don't you search the net for used equipment? I am at work or I would include several links to sites that specialize in just that. I have drooled over the tools you can find. From small tool room stuff up to things you need to move with a rail car. If still interested I will post links tomorrow.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I would highly recomend against used equipment, most often it is very exspensive scrap metal. The import machines have their flaws, and are works in progress, but are in servicable shape. On the other hand, most used machines are so worn out that it is impossible to do quality work w/o a complete re-build, and unless one has a complete shop and the skills, that can easily cost more then what you bought the machine for. Shipping can also be a killer, a friend had a lead on a free used bridgeport, but the shipping would have been $1500, and that was too much for a machine bought sight unseen.

A used American manchine in decent shape will be ~ twice as much, or more than an import, unless you happen into one of those once in a lifetime deals of the century. The used machines in decent shape are being bought up and converted to CNC. You used to be able to find a used Hardinge for $10k, now they are up to $20k as the CNC conversion market has increased their demand.

Lots of folks like to bash the imports, but most of them are serviceable tools. A few I would stay away from are the 9X20 lathes, they are too light and the gear train is junk. The 12X36 machines are borderline exceptable, and the 13X40's aren't bad at all.

The mill/drills are a mixed curse. They are quite a bit of machine for the $, and the rong fu's are decently built, but, you don't have precise control over the Z axis, but, you have to tripple your investment to get to a B-port type machine.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<k wood>
posted
I would be interested in used equipment but it very scary, you really have to be careful. I bought my lathe used but I had ran the machine and new it to be in decent shape. Something else to consider is what package's come with a new import vs a used machine that might not come with much. If you have links to used equipment I'd check them out. Thanks